Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: How is this for a cast hunting load? Pic

Boolit Mold

How is this for a cast hunting load? Pic

Poured up some 200 grain .429 bullets with a lee mold and shot them out of a 12 inch Encore pistol barrel. Caught them in my bullet trap and got these mushrooms. Isn't this what a good mushroom should look like? Used scrap lead bought off Ebay, have no clue as to BNH number. These are powder coated with clear PC powder from Smoke on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 429 bullets.JPG  

Mushrooming in a bullet trap with a hard surface does not indicate it will mushroom when hitting flesh or bone on a game animal. One thing you have going for you is the fact the boolit did not fragment into many pieces.

Boolit Mold
    They are also very accurate out to 75 yards with iron sights, but dang if I can see a deer to try them on.

Boolit Master

I don't know how your trap is constructed. Mine is pretty simple; a plastic bucket filled with shredded rubber. Boolits rarely mushroom in it.

However, your boolit is starting at the diameter that some smaller calibers mushroom up to ! How can that be bad ? People hunt with .357 Mags all the time.

That boolit was designed for the 44-40, many (including myself) use it in 44 Spl and 44 Mag. The .44-40 has been killing game for decades. I'm certain that within reasonable distances, and with good shot placement, that boolit will do the job.

Just find a deer, and shoot it.

Boolit Buddy
    This year my hunting load was a very sedate 240 grain SWC with only 8 grains of Universal out of a 44 mag handi rifle. That is only a touch over 44 special territory. Went clean through on a quartering away shot. The deer dropped where it stood. No need, in my opinion, for expansion from a 44. No need for blazing fast velocity either.

Boolit Master
    You got a couple good things going for you. You can put the bullet on target and it doesn't go to pieces when it hits. Those are the 2 biggest problems with handgun hunting. I'd stick it in a deer and see what happens. Be ready for a follow up shot. If your still concerned, shoot one with the regular weapon and try one of your cast on the cadaver to satisfy yourself.

Boolit Master
    I load a Lee 250gr REAL sized to .501" for my brother's 500 S&W. I haven't tested this load velocity but data suggests is likely around 1200fps (Using 12gr Unique)

He has taken a few deer with it so far but I can honestly tell you even at 12BHN this boolit does not expand at all but still does the job.

I also load the Lee 440gr (it's actually made for 50 cal cartridge) with 12gr Unique as well and tried to get him to use it in stead but he likes the 250s.

Motor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Gun View Post
    Poured up some 200 grain .429 bullets with a lee mold and shot them out of a 12 inch Encore pistol barrel. Caught them in my bullet trap and got these mushrooms. Isn't this what a good mushroom should look like? Used scrap lead bought off Ebay, have no clue as to BNH number. These are powder coated with clear PC powder from Smoke on here.
    That's going to leave a mark
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    a 44 cal is the size some bullets want to be
    so any extra sure aint gunnuh hurt
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often