MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rifle major failure

Banned
    Never liked those Italian breech set ups.

Update:
    I called today and the lady said it was on the bench now according to the computer, so she put me on hold and went to talk to the guy that had it, came back and said they were going to replace it with a new rifle

Haven’t gotten any tracking info yet

Hopefully next week!

Boolit Master
    Good to hear you are gonna have a new & also glad to read/hear you were not hurt.!

I hope ya have better luck with the new one!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    Great to hear that there is no fooling around or excuses being made.

IN all fairness to Investarms and Lyman, Lyman issued a recall on this very thing! Even Midway/Midsourth (I get alerts/ads from both) sent out a "head's up" on it.. it was on SN#s between A 595960 -- A599026 that they issued a voluntary recall!

Quote Originally Posted by Rompin Ruger View Post
    IN all fairness to Investarms and Lyman, Lyman issued a recall on this very thing! Even Midway/Midsourth (I get alerts/ads from both) sent out a "head's up" on it.. it was on SN#s between A 595960 -- A599026 that they issued a voluntary recall!
    I think they issued the recall because of this. The lady that I spoke to at Lyman said they had never seen or heard of this happening before when I called them after it happened

Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    I think they issued the recall because of this. The lady that I spoke to at Lyman said they had never seen or heard of this happening before when I called them after it happened
    I guess then we all owe you a double thanks for helping to identify the issue. Unlike some, I love the previously well made Investarms guns... I LIKE hooked breech for their ease of cleaning and such... Mine is a A593 series so I dodged the bullet and haven't yet wrung out what it can do... I too am jonzin for good weather to get back to testing patch thickness and charge for accuracy and EASE of loading...I do NOT want to EVER have to pound a ball down the bbl...

Only trouble I have so far is that my eyesight is not so good with iron sights anymore... Bought the Lyman peep for the GPR...

Boolit Master
    Yep recalled the whole series of them, glad you let them know and they will fix the problem.

Boolit Master
    I had a flint lock GPR on order just prior to the recall. I'm to get my charge card refunded and they don't know how long it will take. TOTW let me know today (Wednesday 21 Feb 2018) I hope this is remedied soon.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Banned
    midsouth told my friend its going to be 2+ months for replacement barrels to arrive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I agree with charlie b - it looks like the breech plug may have been over torqued when it was installed. It's no secret that many of these production rifles come from the factory still containing machining chips in the breech, etc. RFD will attest to that and has shown a number of photos in the past in regards to that. If they leave machining chips in, how careful are they when they fit and torque the breech plug in? The fit of the face of the breech plug to the bore is very important and if a machining chip was in the way (just for an example), who knows how they install the plug and how big of a breaker bar they use to put torque on it to line up the flats. As they say, "things happen" and while it doesn't make me want to run screaming in fear, it is a good thing to think about when you get a rifle as far as pulling the breech plug and checking and cleaning everything out of it left from production. And then again, some makers don't want you to remove a breech plug and make sure it is tight and difficult to remove for liability reasons.

It sounds like you did everything "right" and it was just one of those "flukes". But sending it back to the maker I would consider a "must" so that they can inspect it and if there is any possibility that a production run has problems, they can address it. You certainly are entitled to a new gun though I would think. You are a lucky man that you didn't get hurt and they should thank their lucky stars you didn't.

Good luck to you MAGA and thanks for the post as it's a good reminder that "things do happen". Let us know how the maker deals with the problem if you would please. Thanks!
    I agree also - they took it one flat too far to get things lined up - stretched the metal - NOT any fault of the owner - that barrel should easily digest 100grains of FF - unlucky but lucky!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post
    A New Plug made from suitable Steel Bar with a smaller centre hole is required.Proof testing after the repair is absolutely necessary.The Beefed up Plug would give that extra safety factor.
    Not a simple plug !! its a patent breech - send it back under warranty - Lyman makes decent guns they should make this good real fast.

Boolit Master
    issues aside,the surprising thing about this fail is that the wood stock has held the barrel and broken plug together against the force of explosion.

So, you are the reason for the Lyman re-call! Glad you weren't hurt. They will make it right.
    Nit Wit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12