Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Mauser receiver drilled completely through to mount scope base

Mauser receiver drilled completely through to mount scope base

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mm brass.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	210011

Please ignore split cases...Bought some 8x57 brass awhile back. Found 30 or so cases head stamped REM-UMC. Looks like the owner drilled completely though the receiver, into the chamber, to mount a scope base...Disaster waiting to happen...I bet they were a bear to eject...

Vendor Sponsor

It's a wonder he didn't launch the scope flipping over backwards right into his cranium! Was his name Richard?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

That looks large for a scope mounting screw hole. A 8-48 is only .156 of on the thread. It used to be when dewatting or converting to parade rifles to drill a hole thru the side of the chamber as part of the process. I'm wondering if this barrel was one of these converted barrels. I have seen them returned to "service by puhing a plug in and recutting the chamber, don't recommend it by any means but have seen it done.
    Another possible explanation is. The older cup crushers used a receiver with a place to mount a copper pellet, when fired the pressure crushed the pellet increasing dia thus giving pressure information. Could these cases have come from someplace doing pressure testing?

Boolit Master

Yes, hopefully they were test cases
    http://www.pcb.com/TestMeasurement/P...stic/conformal

and

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-measurements/

otherwise

YUK and Double yuk!
    Time for a new barrel
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 12-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I once received a batch of 30-06 brass that was used for pressure tests-- once fired during testing. I have over 10 reloads on them now-- the testing mark gradually fades as the brass adjusts to fit the chamber, and repeated examination (outside and inside) shows no issues.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    That looks large for a scope mounting screw hole. A 8-48 is only .156 of on the thread. It used to be when dewatting or converting to parade rifles to drill a hole thru the side of the chamber as part of the process. I'm wondering if this barrel was one of these converted barrels. I have seen them returned to "service by puhing a plug in and recutting the chamber, don't recommend it by any means but have seen it done.
    Another possible explanation is. The older cup crushers used a receiver with a place to mount a copper pellet, when fired the pressure crushed the pellet increasing dia thus giving pressure information. Could these cases have come from someplace doing pressure testing?
    I was thinking the same thing, that the spots look awful large but I can't really think of another thing that might cause such a marking on the case. At least I couldn't until I read the above posts. This sight really is filled with people that know all kinds of stuff.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Pressure test cases.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    Pressure testing cases. Mark is from the copper crusher "pill" that starts out flush with the case and is displaced leaving the mark in the case.

These cases work just fine.

I hadn't thought about them being test cases...I do know the brass protrusion sticks up a few thousandths of and inch. Running a few through the full length sizing die didn't manage to squeeze them back down and have a slight "smear" to them...Either way, they are on the reloading shelf as decorations now.

Boolit Grand Master

ANother thing to remember on pressure test cases is occasionally the disk in the case is blown up into the crusher channel. SO these spots could be weak areas if full pressure rounds are used.

Boolit Grand Master

Not pressure test. Neither CUP or peizo-transducers are used on standard actions. They are used on special fixed test fixtures. Also if either were they would have been mounted in the center of the case powder capacity as per SAAMI or CIP spec. Both are very expensive to own and to use and would not have been mounted on a portable rifle.

The detent in the cases is exactly were the front screw hole would have been drilled through the barrel. I suggest the OP remove the scope and base to determine if such is the case.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Not pressure test. Neither CUP or peizo-transducers are used on standard actions. They are used on special fixed test fixtures. Also if either were they would have been mounted in the center of the case powder capacity as per SAAMI or CIP spec. Both are very expensive to own and to use and would not have been mounted on a portable rifle.

The detent in the cases is exactly were the front screw hole would have been drilled through the barrel. I suggest the OP remove the scope and base to determine if such is the case.
    I passed a message to the gentleman I received the cases from. He said he doesn't know for sure who had the rifle in question. Is possible the cases were fired long ago...I laid a one piece base over the receiver of my friends K98 and the hole is in the exact spot under the front hole of the base FWIW...

Boolit Master

Moot problem then Eh?