Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Choice between two molds for 300 Blk

Boolit Buddy

Choice between two molds for 300 Blk

I posted this over on 300blktlk.com and haven't really got much of a response, so I'd see what everybody here had to say.

I'm getting myself geared up for casting and loading for my 300 blk AR and I've got two molds already that I'm thinking of using. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with either of these. I plan on loading supersonic with the gas check, looking to get a nice, accurate hunting/paper punching load.

First mold is the NOE 311-180-RF, Hi-Tek coated. It works really well in my K31, not sure how well it would feed in an AR.

The other is the Lee C312-155-2R also Hi-Tek coated. Shape looks like it might have an easier time feeding

Any input is appreciated

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 160gr 2r TL. It's nose shape is very close to the 155-2R. I think the 155 should feed ok. I made a trim die to flat nose the 160gr for tube mags and to increase frontal area. The flat is about 1/4" in diameter. These do not feed in the AR the flat causes problems. Hope this helps.

Oh. I'm just starting my venture into super sonic cast in the 300 BO (so far I'm just shooting the 160 un-checked with PC sub-sonic) but from my experience with this bullet in several other calibers I'm pretty sure with PC and gas check you should be able to use regular jacketed data for those.

I've never shot mine super sonic without the gas check and intend to test them as well.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 12-22-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I'm using the Lee C312-155-2R straight WW powder coated,Gas checked over 1680 or IMR 4227.Still a work in progress,but showing nice potential @100 yds.Sized .310 seated fairly deep to stay off the lands.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Well I just tried to load the 160gr 2R TL with H- 4227. I had to abandon this because even with the starting load of 16.5gr there isn't enough room to seat the bullets. (OAL 1.850"). I ended up using LIL-GUN which starts at 13.9gr. I actually started at 14gr. And stopped at 15gr.

I also loaded some at 14gr without gas checks. I'll do my initial accuracy testing at 50 yards. I typically use a 16x scope to do accuracy testing but I just sighted in the rifle with a red dot type optic and am not willing to remove it at this time so it will have to do.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Good info guys, thanks. The Lee boolit is a good deal shorter than the one the NOE mold throws, so I'm thinking of I need to load things short to get them to chamber, I might have more luck with the Lee mold.

Boolit Master
    YOu might give the Lyman or NOE version of the 311299 and 311334
    Nice fit and shoot well in the BO
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    That Lee boolit you mentioned seems to be the go-to around here.
    THey're on sale at Midway right now, can't go wrong. I use the 160 like Motor, it does well in the 300 BLK.

Boolit Master

I have quite a few molds for my 300 BO, my go-to for supersonic loads is the Lee 155 .312.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 160gr 2R TL hits the lands in my 300 BO upper at an OAL of 1.860" I load them at 1.850"

There is no groove available at this depth so I just simply use the Lee FCD to close the mouth flare. The 1.850" OAL works great for the ".250 ojive" rule. (I don't really know who exactly to credit for this but it works).

You seat your bullets so where the bullet tip measures .250" in diameter lines up with the hump in the side of a standard metal (maybe plastic too) AR-15 .223/5.56 magazine.

Here's a photo of my 160gr loaded in a magazine.

Motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171223_133955.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    The Lee 160gr 2R TL hits the lands in my 300 BO upper at an OAL of 1.860" I load them at 1.850"

There is no groove available at this depth so I just simply use the Lee FCD to close the mouth flare. The 1.850" OAL works great for the ".250 ojive" rule. (I don't really know who exactly to credit for this but it works).

You seat your bullets so where the bullet tip measures .250" in diameter lines up with the hump in the side of a standard metal (maybe plastic too) AR-15 .223/5.56 magazine.

Here's a photo of my 160gr loaded in a magazine.

Motor
    Have you tried sizing the nose or like I do, use mold release on the nose to reduce it's diameter prior to powder coating?

Boolit Bub
    I'd go with the 155.

Boolit Buddy
    Just wanted to post a little update. I've finally gotten around to casting up some test boolits from both the Lee and NOE molds. Seems like their shape isn't as big a factor in getting them to chamber as I thought it would be. I loaded up a bunch of dummies with both boolits and they both seemed to chamber and eject just fine without any issue.

I did notice that both boolits had a bunch of horizontal dings and dents along the nose after chambering and ejecting. I loaded to a few different COALs, from 1.9 to 2.06 to see if that made a difference and it didn't seem to. I don't think they're marks from hitting the rifling, but I could be wrong. Is this fairly common with AR 15s and cast, or is something wrong?

Could be from loading or ejecting. Cases normally don't have boolits when ejected and they hit the port. Try dropping one in the chamber, then ejecting. Some scuffing from loading does occur.
    My mag with the 145s loaded.
    Attachment 212211
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    That looks to be about how far mine fill a magazine as well.

Just judging by how hard it was to get the gas checks straight on the NOE bullets, vs how easy it was too get them on the Lee, I'm definitely leaning towards the Lee

Boolit Master

For 300 BO, I started out with the Lee C312-155 RN and initial tests were good using 50/50 Lee Liquid Alox/Mineral Spirits. When I started ESPC coating, I was using Harbor Freight Black which went on thin. When I switched to better powder (Prismatic Powder) they hung up during chambering. The additional thickness of the PC was the culprit and I was new to spraying.

I bought an NOE 309-150 Spire Point which is a 3R Ogive which when ESPCd load and shoot great. I have since been tumble coating with PC and can control PC thickness rather well. I am now thinking if I tumble coated the Lee mold it will work just fine. Otherwise, I have a neighbor who shoots 7.62x39 and that Lee mold should be great. I still have a bunch of 50/50 Alox/MS lube, a bunch of conventional lube for the Lyman 450, I just like powder coated boolit performance.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    For 300 BO, I started out with the Lee C312-155 RN and initial tests were good using 50/50 Lee Liquid Alox/Mineral Spirits. When I started ESPC coating, I was using Harbor Freight Black which went on thin. When I switched to better powder (Prismatic Powder) they hung up during chambering. The additional thickness of the PC was the culprit and I was new to spraying.

I bought an NOE 309-150 Spire Point which is a 3R Ogive which when ESPCd load and shoot great. I have since been tumble coating with PC and can control PC thickness rather well. I am now thinking if I tumble coated the Lee mold it will work just fine. Otherwise, I have a neighbor who shoots 7.62x39 and that Lee mold should be great. I still have a bunch of 50/50 Alox/MS lube, a bunch of conventional lube for the Lyman 450, I just like powder coated boolit performance.
    I use frankford arsenal mold release on the nose area of the molds to fix this issue, it is the only use for the stuff I've found. It works well for all my nose bore riders in all calibers.

I too appreciate the 300 Blackout load information; for I just acquire an "upper" and had not thought to load cast bullets in it (duh!). It has such a range of bullet weight possibilities that, for a venerable "experimenter" as myself, I may have opened a whole "can of worms".

Boolit Master

What do you mean "may have"? You have no idea!

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Lee TL309-230-5R 1090 fps with my load.

CC