RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Merry Christmas to me

Merry Christmas to me

So I go to the not so local gunstore and sitting there is my second Belding+Mull powder drop. This one has a brass powder container and cap. Its not as clean as first one but that had a mint box. No drop tube but guy has a guy bringing some in and I made several and they adjust.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! Merry Christmas to you too!

Boolit Bub
    IMHO,, the best powder measure made

Boolit Grand Master

I have 2 of them also. Great measures and one of the few rated to use black powder in. Making the measure tubes isn't hard to do and can be a fun project. I have a few made now and leave some set for a given load.

To make the measure tubes at home you only need handtools, but a lathe would make some work easier. I have done them both ways.

Bill of materials and source I use for them.
    1) 1/2" od x .030 wall brass tubing. I make them both 3" long and 4" long. Online metals or a hobby shop has this.
    2) 7/16 od x .303 wall brass tubing you need one piece 3/4" long and one 1/2" long. "
    3) 3/8" 24 ready rod ( all thread) 1" longer than the 1/2" tube length 16 tpi works but not as fine adjustment Hardware store
    4) 1/2" stop collar Graingers or other machine supply house
    5) J-B weld epoxy Hardware Store
    6) thumb screw to match set screw in stop collar Graingers or hardware store
    7 nut to match threaded rod Hardware store
    Tools required: these are the basic hand tools needed.
    Tubing cutter ( hacksaw will work also) Hacksaw with fine blade, files fine cut for finish. Tap and tap drill, deburring tool. Fine sand paper. 320-800 grit.

Procedure to make these measure tubes.
    1 cut 1/2" of to desired length 3" is about the shortest and still seat easily in measure.
    2 deburr ends so 7/16" enters easily
    3 cut 1 piece 7/16" tube 1" long and 1 1/2" long again deburr
    4 cut ready rod all thread 1" longer than the 1/2" tube
    5 clean all these parts and deburr
    6 mix j-b weld glue 1/2" long 7/16 of tube in one end of 1/2' tube ends flush. remove excess
    7 glue 1" long 7/16od tube on one end of ready rod leaving tube proud by 1/8. If you want a square end fill with epoxy
    8 glue stop collar to same end of 1/2" tube that has the 7/16 glued in
    9 remove all excess glue and let cure
    10 drill thru tube for thumb screw and tap thru.
    11 polish debur as needed to fit together.
    12 File flat on threaded rod from brass tube to end so there is a flat surface for thumb screw to seat.
    13 file end of threaded rods JB weld flat and square
    14 assemble
    If you want a concave face a 7/16 ball coated with wax and clamped into the epoxy makes a good one. Due to measure tolerances and tubing you may need to polish the 1/2" tubing some to fit the measure. Bevel edges where handles and break all sharp edges.

For about $30.00 or so in materials you can make 1/2 dozen or so tubes. If you want to make fixed measure tubes a 45-70 case can be filled with epoxy to the desired charge and a wood dowel glued on the end for a handle. There were 2 adjustable measure tubes one was a smooth shaft with simple slide adjustment and thumb screw ( harder to get fine adjustments) the other was thread adjustable as above is.

I bet your tubes are nicer but I buy aluminum shafts and tubing that work together and just drill and tap into the tubing and use a thumbscrew. I countersink into the shaft and that holds the thumbscrew or other type hex bolt.. One set up can be countersunk for a few settings.