RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pawnshop Detective Special find.

Boolit Buddy

Pawnshop Detective Special find.

I picked this up this morning at one of our local Pawnshops and figured I'd share.

It had been sitting there for better part of a year and initially it was priced at $550 and over the course of 12 months or so I watched it drop incrementally to $365.00.

Well this morning I decided to see what I could get it for and made an offer, the manager made a counter offer and we shook on the $325 OTD.

It is very tight, locks up as it should, it has some scuffs and scrapes from being carried some and shot a little and I figure the only thing that most folks looking for a DS couldn't get past was that a previous owner (for reasons unknown) had the upper part of the hammer serrated.

I guess whoever had it done had thumbs like an ape or (as I suspect) there was a shroud of some type affixed to the gun and the "extra" serrations helped with cocking the hammer with the thumb.

The extra "grooves" in the hammer don't hinder operation and are barely noticeable to the shooter (and can't nobody see them when it's in your pocket) and for $325 I'd buy another one just like it.

Soon as the wind dies down around here I'm gonna take it out and see how it shoots.

I'll report back on how it shoots.

Boolit Buddy
    Great buy. Sweet snubby.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Those serrations don't bother me at all and I'd say for that price wouldn't bother many of us here, That is real nice. Merry Christmas to you.

Banned
    You did really well.

Nice Detective Special.

very nice!
    Those are interesting grips. I am not at all familiar with these revolvers but do not recall seeing those grips before. From your photos, they look like they have a Colt medallion, so that is a plus.
    About what vintage do you place this piece?

thanks for the photos too

Boolit Buddy
    About what vintage do you place this piece?
    I'm not really sure about the DOM (date of manufacture) the serial number is 583XRD and what references I can find show that the earliest it could be is 1978.

Reference the grips, towards the eighties (or thereabouts) Colt started shipping these with rubber colt medallion grips.

Vendor Sponsor

Well Merry Christmas to you too!! Very nice find! Serrations = personality..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice score, 32 or 38?

ATCDoktor,

Thanks for the info. It looks like Colt put some thought into the grip design. That relief on the bottom must be to curl your little finger around.

$325 seems like a really good deal for a nice revolver. We'll be anxious to get a shooting report once your weather improves.

I would have jumped on that like a duck on a junebug.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

You did very well on that purchase. Most double action Colts have good double action. I have a Trooper III that has a slick double action. Your Detective special will make a good carry gun. You could make money on that one from a Colt collector. I’m don’t understand how it lasted a year in pawn shop. I like rescuing old iron from pawn shops.

wcp4570

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a Ds in the same run, probably '93 to '95, using up left over parts. The grips are OEM Colt made by Pachmyr and fit me and my gun very nicely. My DS has proven a love of 125 gr. standard velocity hand loads, nothing else seems to hit POA quite as well. The late DS are OK for a few +P but I've never put any thru mine. Nice guns, mine is my favorite 2" in a herd of 2".

Boolit Buddy
    My DS has proven a love of 125 gr. standard velocity hand loads, nothing else seems to hit POA quite as well
    This is good info.

I've got a box of Federal American Eagle 130 grain FMJ's I'll run through it in the am if the weather holds.

Boolit Grand Master

Pretty packing piece.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Very nice grab!

Boolit Master
    I have one I picked up several years ago for about the same price as yours.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    I would have bought it and I have one already. Good deal on a good gun. Merry Christmas!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    The serrations on the hammer appear to have been very neatly done and don't detract from the appearance of the pistol. Carried a DS off-n-on as a backup when I was in law enforcement.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I hauled it out this morning and ran a hundred or so 158 grain handloads thru it and wasn’t impressed at all.

At 40 feet the 158 grain rounds were hitting 6 inches high and 4 inches left.

Not to be discouraged, I broke out a box of 125 grain lead TC hand-loads I had in the truck and that centered everything up.

Slow fire double action I was able to keep all the rounds in the head of a torso silhouette at that distance (40 feet) which is about as good as I can do With any snub nosed revolver.

I like it, it shoots well with ammo it likes and the funky serrations on the hammer are 100% unnoticeable to the shooter.

I had one in the mid 70's . With a 158 gr. SWC over 5.1 of Unique I could make money betting on hitting a man sized target , a B27, at 100 yards Two handed standing. it was the best shooting revolver I ever shot
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast