WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Nu Finish in wet tumbler

Boolit Master

Nu Finish in wet tumbler

Can Nu Finished be added to the water when wet tumbling?

I'm switching to wet tumbling.

I have read a number of threads where people are using Lemi Shine, Dawn, and water to wet tumble their brass. Some people are adding car wash & wax instead of the Dawn.

When I used a vibratory tumbler I would add a few pieces of paper towel soaked with Nu Finish to seal the brass. I still have most of a bottle of Nu Finish left. Has anyone tried adding Nu Finish to the Lemi Shine, Dawn, water formula? Or does the Nu Finish need to be applied dry?

The reason I asked is - I tried tumbling the brass in my Harbor Freight tumbler with a few of those Nu Finish-soaked patches and the brass ended up getting dirty. I think it was the rubber from the tumbler drum? Or maybe it was just metal? Anyway, the darkness wiped off easily revealing a shiny case underneath, but I won't be handling the brass individually like that any more.

If no one has tried this I suppose I'll do it myself and report back.

Boolit Master
    Noooo don't do it
    Nu Finish is oil based, doesn't do well mixed in/with water.
    It'll make a lot of black goo all over the brass/pins/drum.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-15-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Nu Finish in wet tumbler

does a great job on your car though. Seriously, I just take the wet tumbled brass, dry it then put it in the vibratory tumbler with Nufinish.

I have also used car "wash and wax" and sometimes it results in a grey film on the brass...time for the crushed walnut hulls and Nufinish, again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AZ Pete; 01-15-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Banned
    some add it to dry media

I dunk my brass in car wash/wax and water solution after I tumble and clean the cases

Boolit Master

I use a solution consisting of 16 oz. of Nu Finish and 32 oz. of Odorless Mineral Spirits. I shake it real well before each usage and then add a couple of caps full into a Lyman tumbler that is full of Lizard Litter. I use Lizard Litter because it is a little finer grit than crushed walnut hulls and I have less problems of the kernels getting trapped in the flash holes. A couple hours tumbling and I have bright shiney brass. my experience and works for me, james

Boolit Buddy
    Simple, a little Lemi Shine, a little ArmorAll Wash an Wax, or similar product. Test run your quantities for best results. Once you figure our your water needs brass is as clean, shiny, an protected, as can be. IMOP
    Last edited by Eddie17; 01-15-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Miss spelling

Boolit Grand Master

I run a cap full of polish and a cap full of mineral spirits in my corn cob media with good results. NuFinish is one of the ones I have used. I've never tried it wet tumbling. I use a wash and wax with LemiShine when wet tumbling. The wash and wax leaves a protective film on the brass. My cases came out just as clean when using Dawn but the shine faded pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Noooo don't do it
    Nu Finish is oil based, doesn't do well mixed in/with water.
    It'll make a lot of black goo all over the brass/pins/drum.
    I second this. The wax/oil base won't mix well with water. When dry tumbling I just pour a little Nufinish right on top of the media, usually lizard bedding from the pet store.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie17 View Post
    Simple, a little Lemi Shine, a little ArmorAll Wash an Wax, or similar product. Test run your quantities for best results. Once you figure our your water needs brass is as clean, shiny, an protected, as can be. IMOP
    same here. The wax keeps the brass from tarnishing. Have some over 2 years old that have darkened a bit but still are shiny.

just did 3 loads today using SS chip vs. pins. Like them much better
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I use citric acid and Armorall Wash & Wax. It leaves a nice protective coating that doesn't seem to tarnish.
    (Lemishine is citric acid, but more expensive)

In Remembrance

When I change out thoroughly used up corn cob media and put new untreated back in the vib tumbler I put 5 or 6 cap full of Nu-shine in the cob and let it run for about 15 minutes to work thru the new cob, for a larger mag sized tumbler (Dillion) I add a bit more.Robert