Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Replacing RCBS lock ring bronze/brass set screws

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I like the Hornady and Sinclair rings better too! But not enough to buy a bunch. I've never had any trouble with any of my RCBS or Redding rings. The ones that I don't like are the ones with the "O" ring. It just seems like a fix for a nonexistent problem.
    I don’t need them, I just like them enough for me to justify buying them.
    And I have them on all of my Lee dies and most of my RCBS and Redding dies too. When I trade or sell a set of dies I put the original rings back on and reuse the Hornady rings on another set of dies.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Cleaned, yes; How does cleaning them require that I remove the lock rings, though? (And you can fix the other parts together so you don't lose settings, as well.) I just don't see having to chase the same problem over and over; That's why I set the low idle up on my car instead of having to push on the gas pedal to keep the car running, that's why I have a fridge instead of an ice box, and that's why I learned to reload instead of having to buy ammo by the box. Some call it "laziness' but an awful lot of people call it "being smart"; Make LESS work for yourself instead of far more. Do things smart instead of the hardest way possible, and so on.) If you REALLY want to do things the hard way, sell your rifles and just manually insert the bullets into the game animals :P
    Remember.. Some people only know the hard way.

I'm slowly converting my most used die sets over to the turret press heads.

Boolit Master
    Just to get back on track...
    Insert a short piece of plastic wire insulation into the hole of the lock ring before the set screw for a cushion.
    A piece of wire and way to strip it, are things most people have so there's nothing to source/buy/spend money on.

Being cheap is what re-loaders are known for...er using something we already have.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    All my dies wear Forster cross locking rings for use in the Co-ax.
    Mine too. I guess being a professional wrench turner for most of my life I have no patience with "Primitive Pete" methods for any screw bolt nut, pin, key or other mechanical fastener. A lot of fellers have offered their solutions, but the best method I've found is to use a set screw designed to hold without damage. Nylon tipped, hex socket set screws are perfect and cheap...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I like the Hornady rings and think it's the best part of their whole die series. They go on sale from time to time and I'll buy 10 or so and replace the nuts on the die sets I've bought over the year. Seems I buy more die sets than loc-rings though so only the most used ones get them first. Once they're set they don't move. Which is why their whole LNL bushing system seems stupid to me other than as a marketing thing to get you to buy more stuff from them. I'd rather they did die heads on their progressive machines. I've got an lathe and have made a couple hornady style loc-rings, but for what you can get them for on sale it's not worth the bother of making them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Mine too. I guess being a professional wrench turner for most of my life I have no patience with "Primitive Pete" methods for any screw bolt nut, pin, key or other mechanical fastener. A lot of fellers have offered their solutions, but the best method I've found is to use a set screw designed to hold without damage. Nylon tipped, hex socket set screws are perfect and cheap...
    Aerospace toolmaker for 35 years... I like precision... I will take what ever means I must to get it.. I measure it precisely also.. Primitive Pete regards..

Boolit Bub
    2 rifles,,, same caliber ,, different actions. 1 set of dies.. just call me "loose Nuts"

Boolit Bub
    I respect the effort made my a toolmaker working for a company that manufactures precision tooling. I know very well what he must deal with on a daily basis to keep his job. attention to detain, and a high degree of skill and craftsmanship..Its a "Brotherhood" thing...I start with CLEAN dies..Some brands, (RCBS) have a "vent hole " in die body that I like to clean occasionally.. It is usually located under your locked ring, if you full length size with press set to "cam over". Rings need removed to clean hole out.. I ultrasonic clean these dies. this is result of a die, that most of you would have considered perfectly clean , but the alcohol color shows the filth.. after 4 minutes in ultrasonic cleaner..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleaning dies 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	210145

Name:	cleaning dies 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	210146

more to come... Only if interested, otherwise just ignore..

Boolit Bub
    I search for precision. Sometimes, it takes a bit of unconventional thinking to achieve.. It more than reloading.. its Hand loading..
    My press is a pristine 35year old single stage RCBS Rock chucker 2. It has been babied. very seldom set for a hard "cam Over" to size brass.. I check each case as it comes out of die to see if I am introducing concentricity issues,and to make sure I am just bumping shoulder back minimally. (.001 to .002 thousandths.) I precisly measure this distance. (heasdspace) Here are picture of tooling I made to check concentricity, and 2 different ways to accurately measure the shoulder.. 1 using dial caliper (Brown and Sharp) and the other method using Starrett micrometer..
    Indicator is an Interapid .0005 division

Name:	concent 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	210147

Name:	concent 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	210148

Name:	headspace measure 1.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	210149

Name:	headspace diff 1.jpg 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	210150

Name:	headspace dif 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	210151
    Last edited by Moosegooser; 12-24-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Concentricity is held to .001 or less T.I.R. I do this by de priming all cases manually not using dies, but a sacrificial decaping stem, and a drill press.. I then tumble cases clean. install FL sizing die in my press with O-Ring under both the lock ring, and the expander ball stem lock ring... I back the expander adjustment allthe way back so expander is at top of inside of die.. I size the case, measuring the shoulder, and adjusting die down with friction of O-ring, keeping die centered, and square. I precicly turn die down till I achieve my measurement.. With the case is in the die,,and at proper depth, I adjust the expander ballstem (back it out), so the case is still engaged in die and ball just starts into neck . What this does,is accurately places the case in center of die,,and then as expander ball is drawn back through case neck the case is engaged in die and the expander ball is located dead center in the neck.. SIMULTANEOUSLY .. There is an O-Ring under the lock nut of expander ball stem keeping things centered.. I double check cases to make sure I have achieved minimal run out.. (Concentricity gauge)

Here is the result of effort.. This group(5 shots) is shot out of a Lowly Ruger 77, factory barrel, sloppy chamber. Ammo manufactured from a simple single stage press, STANDARD dies (35 yrs old),,but with a bit of care and respect to the accuracy of tooling..

Name:	Results.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	210154

Boolit Bub
    I do not know why pictures loaded sideways.. That's not Toolmaker work,, but rather more "office folk" stuff..

Boolit Bub
    I have never been able to lock rings in place,, (keeping thread on topic) and get this type of accuracy REPETED ,,,, (not to mention, being able to slowly and precisely bump should back .001) from one loading session to another.. I am just as carful charging cases,, and seating bullets.. I keep concentricity to a close tolerance.. anything mor than .002 T.I.R are set aside and shot as foul rounds..
    I do turn my necks, (65% clean up) 1 time, after I initially full length size brass unfamiliar to my rifles chamber. prolly unecessary for a factory chamber,, but it makes me feel good..
    I consider my methods VERY basic... just good practice.. and analyzing what I am doing and why..

My brass lasts forever,, and is worked minimally.. Press loves it.. no undo force created..
    Last edited by Moosegooser; 12-24-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Merry Christmas everyone..

In Remembrance

It may have cost me a `few` bucks, but I bought enough Hornady split rings to replace all the RCBS rings with the set screw. I even changed all the Lyman lock rings, in all I changed out 35 die sets some having 3 or more dies.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0154121?term=10-32+x+3%2F16+set+screws&r=~%7Csattr06:%5E%22Nylon%2 0Tip%22$%7C~

12 cents each, just ordered 100!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Moosegooser View Post
    Aerospace toolmaker for 35 years... I like precision... I will take what ever means I must to get it.. I measure it precisely also.. Primitive Pete regards..
    2 rifles,,, same caliber ,, different actions. 1 set of dies.. just call me "loose Nuts"
    Merry Christmas everyone..
    loose Nuts,

Welcome to the forum.
    you are quite the interesting character.

Merry Christmas.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

For those of you that use O-rings beneath your dies, what are the O-ring dimensions?
    • Murder is illegal.
    • Attempting murder is illegal.
    • A felon owning a gun is illegal.
    • Shooting people indiscriminately is illegal.
    • Using firearms in a criminal manner is illegal.
    • Criminals do not go through background checks when purchasing illegal guns.
    • Explain how criminals will follow new laws.
    • Explain how new laws will make us safer.
    • Explain how restricting law-abiding citizens even more will make us safer.

You can’t? Then your argument is invalid.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim Sojourner View Post
    For those of you that use O-rings beneath your dies, what are the O-ring dimensions?

-118 (.103 cross section) for die body under lock ring
    -010 (.070 cross section) for expander stem

https://www.boydcorp.com/orings/o-ring-size-chart.html

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    loose Nuts,

Welcome to the forum.
    you are quite the interesting character.

Merry Christmas.

as long as I remember my meds,, most folks put up with me.. just kinda..

I have lurked here since we all was rubbing stones together to make points... Just recently got well enough that the home tht keeps me gave me computer priviledge.. I have to leave my room though, so, I get nervous that they will find my Scotch stash,,and I will get put back in the hole..

-118 (.103 cross section) for die body under lock ring
    -010 (.070 cross section) for expander stem

https://www.boydcorp.com/orings/o-ring-size-chart.html
    Much obliged Moose.
    • Murder is illegal.
    • Attempting murder is illegal.
    • A felon owning a gun is illegal.
    • Shooting people indiscriminately is illegal.
    • Using firearms in a criminal manner is illegal.
    • Criminals do not go through background checks when purchasing illegal guns.
    • Explain how criminals will follow new laws.
    • Explain how new laws will make us safer.
    • Explain how restricting law-abiding citizens even more will make us safer.

You can’t? Then your argument is invalid.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast