Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Replacing RCBS lock ring bronze/brass set screws

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Replacing RCBS lock ring bronze/brass set screws

I'm told they gall and strip the steel lock rings so it sounds like time to replace the darn things.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the set screws? I know they take a 3/32" allen wrench but that does not tell me the threading.

(I got ticked at the missing allen wrench and bought a 50-pack of allen wrenches the other day, 1 per die set should keep things more convenient!)

Might need to contact RCBS on that. Sometimes you get a helpful tech...other times you get someone with an attitude...just hang up and try again lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take one of the rings to the hardware store. It is probably a #8. I buy the steel ones, and then put a piece of bird shot in the hole to keep from damaging the threads on the die.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I've given up on them and have switched to Dillon die nuts...
    I use 2 per die, locked together, no set screw needed.
    Their small hex size is better for use on any progressive, buy the wrench too...2.
    The nuts are sold in 5 packs with a wrench too.
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/dill...8_4_24577.html
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/dill...8_4_24511.html
    thank me later

If you don't want the brass to gall the theads take out the set screw and ad a shotgun pellet ( number 8 shot) in the hole and replace the set screw. That helps to lock the ring in place. Hopefully that solves the problem as I see it.

Boolit Master
    I changed a few out to the Hornady rings. I like them better. I believe Sinclair sells some that are round but still have the crosslock feature.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Ditto on the lead shot,

OR

I replace ALL Lee lock rings with rcbs, which leaves me with a pile of lock rings over the years. Flip a lee ring over and use it as a double nut on any other lock ring, no set screw needed.

OR

Get a there press and multiple heads and just leave the dies set in the tool head with a single lock ring and no set screw.

Boolit Mold
    The RCBS rings are ok, but the cheesy brass setscrews they come with are short lived. One can get brass screws from the hdwe store that will fit the rings. With that no lead pellet is needed, BUT the Hornady rings are far better because they clamp on to the die body without harming the threads and I have yet to have one slip out of position.

Boolit Master
    call Ch4d. They sell The plastic pellets for the set screws . works great
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    My experience with RCBS was a little diffrent, I contacted them with the customer support form on the websitr after ruining one on a second hand set to get the size/thread pitch. The CS rep responded that he was sending a few out. What I recieved was about a 1/2 Tsp worth of the brass disks and set screws. For my use that's about a lifetime supply.

You've probably lost the brass plunger that fits under the screw and conforms to the threads, the birdshot pellet is a great solution. That being said I'm gradually changing mine over to the hornady clamp on type. RCBS has great customer service, I would be interested to hear their take...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    Take one of the rings to the hardware store. It is probably a #8. I buy the steel ones, and then put a piece of bird shot in the hole to keep from damaging the threads on the die.
    +1 !

Boolit Grand Master

Old machinist/mechanic here. Brass setscrews don't gall steel, but a gorilla can distort and strip the threads quite easily. It's also not very difficult to strip a hex socket in them. If you use steel setscrews you will damage the die body threads. If you think you need to tighten the sets crews down hard enough to strip the allen wrench or the socket, try these: https://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-tip-set-screws/=1asovhl.

I have seen a few dies ruined by tightening set screws and lock rings down waaaay too tight. In my lifetime of working with/on bolts, nuts, screws and other mechanical fasteners, I've found no reason to tighten them enough to damage anything. For die lock rings just snug, finger tight will hold more often than not. If your lock rings work loose, look for why, don't grab the 18" channel locks and put your 250 lbs behind them...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Contact RCBS customer service and explain the setscrew problem and more then likely they will send you as many as you ask for with in reason, no cost. RCBS also make 2 sizes of Allen wrenches drivers that fit both sizes usually found on RCBS equipment. Then drop a piece of 7.5 lead shot in the setscrew hole.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I changed a few out to the Hornady rings. I like them better. I believe Sinclair sells some that are round but still have the crosslock feature.
    Ditto! I'm glad I made the switch. Far better product design. Its about 16 bucks for a 6 pack on Midway.
    Bring your hip waders!!

mdi, true, I was planning on the lead pellet trick. I'm not a machinist but do know steel on steel can mess it up. I am pretty gentle on my gear, only way to be. Especially for us Yetis :P

Boolit Grand Master

I just took a set screw out of one of my lock rings and checked it. It shows to be a #10-32 size and takes a 3/32's wrench. Using a nylon pellet or a lead shot is a good idea. I bought a few of the Sinclair rings to use on my Giraud case trimmer. Its a nice ring, but the RCBS rings seem to work ok for me.

lightman - Thank you. Schedule here is as messed up as the rest of everything, maybe I can just mail order those

Boolit Buddy
    I got a pack of 100 of these: https://www.boltdepot.com/Set_screws...8-8_10-32.aspx in 3/16". They are 10/32 screw/thread. FWIW, Bolt Depot is a great source for screws. Quality is great, service is fast. They don't care if you buy one or a zillion. But that pack of 100 setscrews cost about $6.00. The 3/16" size does allow you to use the Die Wrench or other socket type for a tight die.
    Last edited by Jim_P; 12-22-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Master

I remove the set screws and use a slotted screw. This one is aluminum...

I normally use brass ones...

You get a better feel for how tight it is with the slotted head and longer screw...

Looks crude, but I have most of my rings converted to that...

Good-luck...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_3079.jpg  

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast