Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 Carbine Ruger BH

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Too loud? Slow the bullet down a little. It doesn't have to be loaded to rifle velocities.
    Right with ya, Ick. The 30 Carbine BH--32 H&R Mag--and 327 Federal start getting obnoxious somewhere between 900 and 1000 FPS. Heck, the 32/20 revolvers can be raspy above 900 FPS as well. There is still great joy derived from turning money into noise, though--and the 30 Carbine excels at that particular tasking.

Key to the city.......95-100 grain castings run at 900-950 FPS. Very docile, VERY accurate, and so effective on small varmints and game animals without tearing up much good meat. Like an uber-effective 22 LR.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Yes, in my experience they are loud and one should avoid flammables for several feet in front of the muzzle.
    Biggest/longest fireball I have ever seen out of anything hand or shoulder fired.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

The only handgun I have that throws a longer flame is the 9x25 Dillon. Both are quite impressive when shooting in dim light.........
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now, THAT I have yet to do with the 30 Carbine BH--shoot it in dim lighting. Ball powder/110 JHPs/full-value loadings at dusk just got added to the "TO DO" List.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    wow I read this thread with interest and because of the great detailed posts here I have
    title interest in having this caliber seems like an awful amount of effort to go shooting!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    wow I read this thread with interest and because of the great detailed posts here I have
    title interest in having this caliber seems like an awful amount of effort to go shooting!!!!
    The three 30 Carbine BHs I have owned have all digested ammo of all types readily and without issues.

Boolit Master

Dad bought a Bicentennial 30M1C (roll stamped on the barrel) to go with a Winchester 30M1C his dad gave him. Dad lets me shoot/keep the BH, but only lets me touch/wipe down/promptly hand back when ever I go visit. He is pretty funny about it.

No matter what kind of load you shoot, pistol or rifle loads, that thing BARKS. I once read when there are obnoxious people on the firing line break out the BH. They will leave shortly after a few cylinders full launched downrange. I always use plugs and muffs and will that said it is still not enough for the 30BH.

Loads I've used are right out of the Lyman book. Mold is an old SAECO 321 95gr RN plain based. Although it is technically a 32 mold it casts a bit small if you adjust your mold temp/cadence, and use a harder alloy. It didn't take long to find the 'swwet spot.' Dad bought that mold in the mid 1970s back when Carpenteria CA was just down the road. Dad never used that mold because the half jacket plinker bullets were so cheap. When I broke out the mold it was brand new. I have a few SAECO molds and they are top shelf. Anyway, after casting I tumble powder coat and bake. Shooting PC Boolits at factory loading, even though it is a plain base design is not a problem in either my brother's carbine or Dad's 30BH. I gave up on pistol only loads, they were still obnoxiously loud. Besides, it is only shot occassionly.

Nice to see you Al, I retired again (went back to finish my 30, well and to catch about 4 raises) but this time for good! Frank
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    No matter what kind of load you shoot, pistol or rifle loads, that thing BARKS.
    A Lyman 311008 traveling at 1150 fps seems much quieter than a 357 to my ears.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByF...e%20Pistol.pdf

Boolit Grand Master
    OK guys, forgive me if I'm threadjacking here, but I've heard discussion over the years about how cool the BH 30 Carbine chambering was because with little or no alteration it could also be used with 32-20. With hat in hand I'm asking those of you with lots of experience with the 30 C BH whether this actually works or whether I've been the victim of yet another internet myth. I had the Buckeye Special 32 combo BH when it came out, but in my normal manner, I let it get away from me before I fully recognized what I had, hence this query.

TIA for any responses!
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-07-2018 at 04:28 PM. Reason: correct *@#% spell check corrections!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

GF, there have been many credible reports of use of 32-20 brass in Ruger 30 Carbines, but only the new models. The old model 3-screws, like mine, have "embedded case rims" and cannot accommodate the 32-20 rim.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Starline .32-20 brass is 1.280;1.285" lengths and works fine inmy NM BH .30 Carbine.
    Other makes of .32-20 brass is longer and must be trimmex.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tried 20 pieces of my existing Starline 32/20 brass in the 30 Carbine BH. I ran it into a 30 Carbine F/L steel size die first, just from an abundance of caution--I am uncertain that it made a difference. I have run both jacketed and cast bullets (sized .308" and .309" respectively), and it has fired just fine.

Of course, the regular rimless 30 Carbine brass & ammo runs well also. I didn't want to dig too deeply into the 32/20 brass stocks for this little experiment, having just 1 x 30 Carbine BH and 4 x 32/20 WCF firearms to feed. The SL 32/20 that got modded for this try-out was returned to 32/20 form in the proper steel sizer die, and it fit fine in the 32/20 revolvers after all of these gymnastics.

I did the .32-20 thing but with a little tweaking and getting the crimp right .30 carbine brass was just as easy to load so I didn't need the .32-20 brass.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago (about 45 of them) I owned a Marlin model 62 lever action in 30 Carbine. It was a fun little rifle and surplus ammo was readily available. I bought a RCBS die set and started handloading for the rifle. Ran into a problem getting once-fired brass to go into the chamber. It refused! Empty sized brass or reloaded brass, they would not go into the chamber. I had the sizing die in full contact with the shell holder, but that was not enough. New ammo or brass was OK, fired was not. At that time those rifles were in general circulation, so I sold mine with the comfort it was replaceable. It would be a fun combination now, but I'm not really burning to have another one. If I still had the Marlin 62 now I would dig deeper into it's nature and find the cause of the issue.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks to Nueces, Outpost75, 9.3X62AL and Thumbcocker. I'm guessing the little plinker bullet I used to see sold for the 30 Carbine, a 110 grain half jacketed one, would work pretty well in this application, as well as my old Favorite Ideal 3118 (115 gr) and 311316 (115 gc) sized properly for this application. Thanks a lot guys, I'm beginning to see a BH 30 Carbine in my future... like I need another "mouth to feed!"

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    I also have an old model Blackhawk .30 Carbine. When I first got it I had my gunsmith cut the barrel off behind the front sight and re-attatch it. It's about 6-1/4" now. This is crazy but true. I have an old junky left handed holster that is my favorite. The rule is that all my single actions have to fit in that holster. Nothing over 6.5". HeHe. And yes, it is just a tad noisy when it goes off.

I want one and always have. Maybe someday!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12