RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout for deer?

Boolit Buddy

300 Blackout for deer?

I'd like to hear from someone who has done it. Not to be cheeky, but I really don't care much for everyone's theories. I'm thinking it's borderline....

Vendor Sponsor

several have fallen to my blackout (10.5 " Noveski (NFA) and a YHM suppressor .. most using a NOE 247gr HP powdercoated and shot at 1045 FPS my alloy is 49/49/2 COWW/PB/HSB (nice and soft)
    generally yardages 75-100 yds and DRT
    First one I shot was 72-75 yds, heart shot, thru and thru with I kid you not at least 3ft blood spurt out the backside.
    the sound of the hit was twice/3 times as loud as the shot
    I also have a load for that same bullet going 1425FPS but so far have not tested it on game
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 12-21-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for...........

Boolit Master
    The .300 b.o. has quite a bit less power than the 30/30 so go for it.

Boolit Master

I have taken a number of white tail & hogs but used the Sierra Pro Hunter 125gn. 16" Carbine at ranges from 75~125 yards gives good results.

I modified a Lee 312-155 mold to have a small meplat and CB's from that mold, 50/50+2% alloy, gave similar results to the Sierra as they killed cleanly on white tail.

The only time I felt the 300BO was maxxed out was when I was out hunting hogs and a Nilgai came into view at around 75 yards. The neck shot dropped it but the damage to the spine was minimal, not like with a 30-30 or 308W using cast. I know dead is dead but I would not chose this caliber again for Nilgai or anything larger than white tail deer.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I have seen two deer killed with my AAC Handi Rifle in 300 BLK. 125 Nosler Partitions did the job. 50-60 yard shots. Through and through. One DRT, one went about 20 yards with a large blood trail.

Boolit Grand Master

Are we talking supersonic or subsonic? Keep them supersonic and it's not an issue. The subs are where things are borderline.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    This comment.

The sarcasim is strong with this one.
    Last edited by davidheart; 12-21-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master

The problem with hunting with a subsonic blackout is most guys (my brother in law for one) use a jacketed bullet designed for target shooting at 2500+ fps then wonder why it penciled a hole and the deer ran off. Hypersonic, or a big meplant/hollow point and it works just fine.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

well, for 30/30 weight bullets, the BO is ~90% of the starting loads for 30/30. Given that most casters don't shoot 30/30 over 18-1900 fps, not much difference at all. Then consider all the 'old' calibers shot from leverguns that work. Wilson developed the 40WT for deer & pig, runs a 120gr @ 2400 fps and you can search for the reports - very successful. The 'right' boolit makes a big difference. I would consider it a 100 yd cartridge.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Barnes makes a purpose built 110 gr bullet for the 300 BO. You can push it plenty fast to kill deer & hogs. Being a Barnes it will punch thru and kill very dead.

Boolit Master

Well, tho isn't a theory but a data comparison.

People here in Florida hunt hog and deer with 7.62x39... And its easier to find hog that weigh more than deer here.... And 7.62x39 take a LARGE amount of hog here since it I a nuisance animal, and on private land there is no magazine limit when hog hunting.

Now.. 7.62x35 is pert near overlapping on the capabilities of 7.62x39.

Boolit Buddy
    as soon as I thump one with my 300 BO I'll have something to contribute.

Boolit Master
    Used a 125SST over W296 out of a 16” AR last year at around 75 yards. First round went thru the elbow of a front leg, penetrated into the chest leaving a hole you could stick two fingers thru. The buck flopped down hill to around 40 yards where I put a second round thru his neck. End of rodeo. I don’t think the second round was needed, but first deer with the itty bitty .30 so I didn’t know how well it works. Insurance.

The Black Out isn’t as powerful as my .308, but it’s enough for deer within reason.
    Last edited by Rick R; 12-21-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post
    as soon as I thump one with my 300 BO I'll have something to contribute.
    Me too.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a handful of antelope with 125gr Nosler ballistic tips they seem to die when shot in the lungs. I don't like the idea of hunting with a sub sonic unless it's heavy and a large diameter, but sub sonic bullets have come a long ways and would be tempted to try the 194gr Lehigh or 200gr Maker at close range sub/suppressed.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

Why go sub?

I wouldn't hunt with 300whisper.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    Barnes makes a purpose built 110 gr bullet for the 300 BO. You can push it plenty fast to kill deer & hogs. Being a Barnes it will punch thru and kill very dead.
    this.
    I have been watching a guy chronicle his [deer/pig] hunting with this bullet for a couple of years now.
    keeping your shots to reasonable ranges [much like using a cast boolit] will provide the results you seek.
    his pictures and story's are showing the round to be very capable within the rounds limits.

Well past supersonic with the lighter weight 110-130gr bullets are fine, mid 2000's fps are easily possible. Subs I won't hunt with especially the size deer I may encounter. There are some expanding heavy for caliber subsonic bullets available for the black but they are expensive and you are still basically getting 9mm performance out of them. Maybe with little deer and select shots.

Boolit Master
    I have just started to research loads for my 160gr 2R TL Lee cast bullets. I already shoot this bullet powder coated and gas checked in the hi teens velocity wise and the 300 BO is capable of doing this as well.

The only drawback I see so far is it (my AR) won't feed them if I flat point them like I do for 30-30 and 7.5x54 MAS. The flat nose makes a big difference on milk jugs filled with water.

I'm a little concerned that pointed they my simply shoot though like FMJ'S. One thing that I may have going for me is my alloy. With the powder coating I can use 12BHN alloy that may actually expand some.

I don't see any problems killing a deer with a 167gr bullet going 1700fps.

Motor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast