WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout for deer?

Banned
    Think about how many deer have been/are killed with a 32-20 ?

The last big driven elk hunt in Yellowstone back in the 19teens ----- most popular cartridge ? 32-20 !

If you have to ask. . . .

Boolit Master
    I have shot both whitetail deer and hogs with Barnes bullets (supersonic rounds) and it works just fine both with my AR and little Ruger bolt gun. As with all hunting, it is all about placement. Still moving my reloading and casting equipment so I am on hold for cast boolits at present.

Where/when the 30 Herrett is sufficient, so is the 300 BO.

Boolit Master
    According to 168gr J-word data 1900 fps is maximum. A 30-30 Win with 170gr bullet isn't a whole lost faster.

I hope to do some range tests tomorrow using the Lee 160gr 2R TL with PC, with and without gas checks. I actually had to go with LIL-GUN powder because with H- 4227 there wasn't enough room to seat the bullets. Not even at the starting load.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I hope to do some range tests tomorrow using the Lee 160gr 2R TL with PC, with and without gas checks.

Motor
    Please let us know how these feed. Historically a cast round nose creates a problem in an AR platform, hopefully the powder coating improves it.
    Benny

Boolit Buddy
    Grandsons first deer. With a 300AAC no doubt!
    135gr Sierra #2124. 1940fps muzzle velocity.
    Golf ball size exit wound, distance was almost 100 yards.
    Benny

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tsubaki View Post
    Please let us know how these feed. Historically a cast round nose creates a problem in an AR platform, hopefully the powder coating improves it.
    It depends on the barrel extension used. Typically found extensions used for the 300bo are the same as found on 5.56 barrels and these don’t allow the use of FP CB’s.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    is this one of those marginal hunting round threads?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    is this one of those marginal hunting round threads?
    EXACTLY.

It makes me want to VOMIT when I see one cartridge put down over another. The shape, form, and capacity of the brass means SQUAT.

Bullet mass sufficiently fast enough to enter the body and induce hypovolemic or CNS shock kills, regardless of delivery system.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    Think about how many deer have been/are killed with a 32-20 ?

The last big driven elk hunt in Yellowstone back in the 19teens ----- most popular cartridge ? 32-20 !
    Source?
    Most of the shots in heavy timber near here.[90 miles from the Park] would be at bow range, or less than 25 yards. Add to that hunters who knew game anatomy better than the alphabet and the situation may not transcend to to todays hunters with unknown ranges, weapons and or bullet weights.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

My best friend used my Ruger american rifle last year on a doe at about 75 yards on a doe. Nosler ballistic tip at a little over 2,000 FPS with a pegged out load of 1680. It took 3 hits in the boiler room before she gave up the ghost. The bullets were all chest/shoulder hits and did not exit. I would consider using it but only under the right circumstances.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    My best friend used my Ruger american rifle last year on a doe at about 75 yards on a doe. Nosler ballistic tip at a little over 2,000 FPS with a pegged out load of 1680. It took 3 hits in the boiler room before she gave up the ghost. The bullets were all chest/shoulder hits and did not exit. I would consider using it but only under the right circumstances.
    That bullet is going a little slow. Even at 2100 fps it has a 100 yard limit for expansion. Also shoulder shots would not be a good choice

I've used a 125 grain sst on a Nebraska buck. One shot he presented was straight on 80 yard shot. Shot him looking at me in the chest. Ran about 20 yards and was dead when I got there 2 minutes later. I believe it was moving around 2150 fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubaki View Post
    The Lee 160gr 2R TL is not a round nose, it's pointed as is their 155gr. I already use these sub-sonic in the AR but manually load them. But they feed just fine. I'm hoping to shoot the ones loaded with jacketed data today.

Motor

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I wonder if perhapsthe .300AAC would not have developed if the AR10 receivers, bolts, etc had not been so much more expensive. Personally' I would have rather seen a straight wall case made from cutting off the .223 brass at the shoulder and then expanded to something that could holds 9mm diameter bullet, but without reeming the inside of the mouth of the brass.
    Absolutely! That would be an incredible round. Maybe a wildcat is out there?
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    Absolutely! That would be an incredible round. Maybe a wildcat is out there?
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/wi...444x1-8-a.html

Only problem I see in it is it headspaces on the case mouth.

357AR - 223 case. Both my BO ARs feed my 182gr. version of RD style fine (0.2" meplat). Haven't chronyd yet. Had house guests last 2 months that cuts down shooting, another bunch next week. This is PB version, just most of the sahnk removed.
    Attachment 210075
    Last edited by popper; 12-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    BTW,

I have used the BLK with 110 and 125 gr. jacketed and the 165 Ranch Dog, typically under 25 yards.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

Boolit Buddy
    I took a deer two years ago with one. It killed the deer, but it went over a hundred yards in thick woods before it fell over. Decent enough blood trail to track him. I hit him a little low in the chest so I'm going to say it was due to that that he went so far. It'll do the job, especially with good bullet placement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast