Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just curious about injections

Banned

I would be very skeptical of ANY doctor that gave injections before have an mri done to see what is causing the problem. I had them buy one of those quack pain doctors when my back first started giving me problems about 12 years ago. If he would have first had an mri taken he would have seen the two bulged and one blown disc I had at the time. They did nothing but put food on the table of that doctor. The ones I just had were post surgery and the intent was to settle down some of the inflammation and swelling the surgery caused not to cure the problems in my back or to even cover them up. It seems to have helped that but I guess time will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by JPinMI View Post
    21 years ago I had a couple courses of steroid in the lower back. Each time it helped for 4-6 weeks, then the pain returned as bad as ever. Then I finally had an MRI and that told the whole story, I had no disc material left, it was bone on bone. Had a spinal fusion done 20 years ago and as miserable as that recovery was, I had great success with it fixing the pain. 5 months ago I started having low back pain again and had it looked at and had an MRI first this time. This time the area is below what was previously fused and it too has collapsed. The surgeon asked if I wanted to give steroids a try, I said "what's the point, let's fix this". That was 5 weeks ago and recovery has been remarkably easier and I'll be back to work in less than 2 months. Big improvement in what they do now. So,,,, I think the decision to have the injections all depends on what is the root cause. I can see it being a benefit if it's just inflammation that needs time to heal, if it's structural, probably just putting things off. My 2cents.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-22-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Banned

they had me on gabapentin too and it did nothing. The doctor even told me its a small percentage of people it does help and left it up to me whether I wanted to try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Doctor has recommended Gabapentin and injections with possible 'burning' of nerves after finding out relief points through the injections . Five slipped discs in lower back with arthritic complications . I will probably do the injections , will also have a total knee done in Feb or March . I'm trying to get some relief from the back to be able to do rehab when I get the knee done .
    In my mind surgery on the back is not an option with the total knee coming up ...the knee has to happen .

Banned
    Had surgery on my back in 86 and spent the next 5 years being able to predict the weather. The first 5 were rough and after that I was good.

Gabapentin made me very tired and shaky, and at times dizzy. It did calm the odd nerve damage sensations very slightly but wasn't worth it for me.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Some people I know, Gabapentin causes them (2 at least that have had it for pain) to become zombified - Brain slows down to a muzzy non-working state, can't do simple addition in their head, that sort of thing. It definitely does help others. If you try it, just be aware and if you gradually come to knowing that something's wrong, but cannot put words as to what exactly IS wrong - You cannot THINK, and are wondering where your brain went off to vacation at; Try coming off gabapentin. If it works, GOOD! Each of our biochemistry's a bit different... Lyrica BTW is generation 2 Gabapentin so it can have some of the same effects I am told.

Boolit Master

I had the cortisone shots in my L4-5 area about 1.5 years ago. Worked OK for a couple months, got them again, OK for a couple months, got them again, NoGo. They offered to inject deadening to see if killing some nerves would help, I rejected that idea, and am living with some lower back pain...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

Doctor has recommended Gabapentin and injections with possible 'burning' of nerves after finding out relief points through the injections . Five slipped discs in lower back with arthritic complications . I will probably do the injections , will also have a total knee done in Feb or March . I'm trying to get some relief from the back to be able to do rehab when I get the knee done .
    In my mind surgery on the back is not an option with the total knee coming up ...the knee has to happen .
    Good call!! You're going to be doing extensive physical therapy for both corrections and trying to mix/match rehab programs can be a real bear (don't ask how I know). Best to establish your priorities and take them in order.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Has anyone researched "repair cell" therapies? They use adult stem cells from the patient to repair damage of various kinds. Some of the documented successes are pretty fascinating, but get your information from sites which aren't trying to sell something.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    I had good results w injections for lumbar facet spine arthritis. My MD used a fluoroscope to guide his needle, which I'm sure helped. After those wore off we did the electric needle to accomplish a rhizotomy. It's been 6 years and still pain free.
    Just be sure you've a good MD and try it.
    Bulldogger
    CORRECT!! I retired from a Anesthesia practice and had the injections in my back one time and haven't had to repeat the procedure. With local and Fluro guidance the medication is injected at the precise point to do the most good. Good Dr. is the most important part of the procedure.

Boolit Grand Master

One of my co-workers gets them. He has 5 vertebrae in his lower back that are bad with degeneration of the discs. The shot goes into the nerve if I understand it and he gets 4 or 5 a year or something like that and has to take a few days off each time. He says they work along with pain medication but there is only so much that can be done before surgery and he is putting that off as much as possible.

I just went to the back doctor for pain in the lower back and down one leg. Pinched nerve which was a relief. From my understanding that can be treated with exercise, stretching and Advil.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    CORRECT!! I retired from a Anesthesia practice and had the injections in my back one time and haven't had to repeat the procedure. With local and Fluro guidance the medication is injected at the precise point to do the most good. Good Dr. is the most important part of the procedure.
    Good advice from you bulldogger ( always wondered if bulldogger actually did some 'dogging' ) . I loved my last anesthesiologist , had my right ankle fused . When they gave me the twilight shot he came in and introduced himself . ....I'm gonna be in charge of you anesthesia , don't make me look bad , they are going to wheel you to the operating room and I'll be with you . YOU DO GOOD .. do you hear me ! LOL , he had a good down home Texas accent and I laughed . Got to the operating room and he said in a loud voice shaking me gently ...I'm gonna stick you in the leg with a needle , when you feel a reflex you tell me ! When he hit it I said ...bingo ! You got it . He said ...see you later ...get some rest because your gonna need it , now count to 10 , I think I made it to 5 and was out. I loved that guy .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

Instead of Gabapentin ask for Lyrica, fewer memory issues with it... but if you can avoid either I would! They are addictive and coming off them sucks to say the least!

Banned

I was on lyrica about 10 years ago for back pain. When the doctor prescribed gabapentin I asked him about getting lyrica again and he said that its harder on your system and more addictive. I have to say though that lyrica seemed to give me more relief then gabapentin does. Both make me feel like a drank 3 pots of coffee though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Instead of Gabapentin ask for Lyrica, fewer memory issues with it... but if you can avoid either I would! They are addictive and coming off them sucks to say the least!

Moderator Emeritus

I use Lyrica for the foot nerve pain and tingling that can keep me awake all night... going to try and make it another year before lumbar fusion... said that 3 years ago LOL doc wants to do it... long as I can keep the pain to a dull roar I am putting it off.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I use Lyrica for the foot nerve pain and tingling that can keep me awake all night... going to try and make it another year before lumbar fusion... said that 3 years ago LOL doc wants to do it... long as I can keep the pain to a dull roar I am putting it off.
    My co-worker with the lower back pain is in the same boat. Doctor is giving him shots and pain stuff but told him he would have to have surgery sooner or later and when he did he would have to retire so he is putting it off as long as he can.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Hi JayT.Hydrocodone no longer has 625mg of acetaminophen.That product was reduced to 325mg about 6 or 8 years ago.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123