WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

View Poll Results: What's your preferred velocity for plinking?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1,000 - 1,200

27 35.53%
  • 1,300 - 1,400

17 22.37%
  • 1,500 - 1,600

16 21.05%
  • 1,700 - Beyond

16 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha alls load’n up fur plinking loads in your rifles? (Velocity Poll)

Question Whatcha alls load’n up fur plinking loads in your rifles? (Velocity Poll)

Basically just curious at what velocity(ies) do you prefer for your general target/plinking loads in regards to rifles?

1,000 - 1,200
    1,300 - 1,400
    1,500 - 1,600
    1,700 - Above
    Last edited by iMigraine; 12-21-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Can't fix poll... :(

Guess I figured it out..

1700 up - quite a bit.
    Whatever!

Plinking subsonic below 1050 fps
    Plinking cast lubed depends upon cartridge
    Plinking with PC or Plated usually 1400 fps
    Plinking with jacketed 2000+
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Plinking with my 444 around 1,000 fps with 265 grain bullets and Unique. In the 30-30 anywhere from 1,000 to around 1,600 with red dot, unique, and 4227.
    Depends on how much recoil the plinking load develops.
    Take care,
    Rick

For plinking my go to rifle is my .30 Badger and it loves 1300-1400 FPS. While it can go much further, it really shines in that little pocket.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

I shoot mostly under 75 yards for fun. Does not take much to punch targets at that range.

Moderator Emeritus

For plinkers I would prefer that they go all the way through the target, penetrating the backing is optional.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Cast 223 at 2310 fps avg. Fun out to 300 yards. Almost half the powder and the same cost of 22lr

My second choice is 300AAC 230gr subsonics.. really makes steel ring

My range would be between 1500 and 2000, so I selected 1700 and above. I need enough velocity and pressure to fragment the patches at the muzzle (although I do have a load that keeps the patch on to the target but that needs development). My plinking mode is sods and stuff in the field that go poof when hit. Empties need to jump from shots placed just under them. Shooting paper is only to check for accuracy and sighting in.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Most of my plinking loads are subsonic, but some creep up into the 1300-1500 FPS range.

What I want out of 'fun' ammo is that it's accurate, economical, and pleasant to shoot. That generally means a cast bullet (either lubed or PC, depending on a few factors) with a plain base (GC's either cost money or time) over a light-ish charge of powder.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Velocities for plinking too high.
    6-800 fps is about what I use.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I said 1000 to 1200, actually its whatever shoots accurately with a Plainbase, emulating 22lr velocity is a long proven realm of quick success. My plinking loads shoot stuff, paper not so much.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    For plinkers I would prefer that they go all the way through the target, penetrating the backing is optional.
    I have my grandmother's H&R 32S&W top break. I load 1gr BE under a sized buckshot. The first time I took it to the range I told the rangemaster what I had - he is always curious about my guns - and noticed that he followed me to the shooting line. I asked him why? "I want to make sure those go through the target backing!"
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I'm with Hickory
    You need a lower choice in your poll.

Boolit Grand Master

Plinking to me has never been about velocity, but informal shooting at whatever looks like it needs shooting. I more often than not I shoot paper and that often is considered "plinking" to me. When I'm working up a load I take care when evaluating a load and while it's informal, I'm concerned with the performance of the load, and I don't consider it plinking. But I don't often just pull the trigger and listening for a bang...

Also the gun in question had much to do with the gun being used. My single shot .223 can be loaded to 22 Magnum velocities and with cast bullets, but I consider that a lite load and not "point and shoot" ammo, and it's very accurate. Another consideration is will the gun function at any of the poll choices? My Garand won't. My SKS won't.

Didn't mean to be too critical of the thread/poll, it jes don't fit my shooting at all...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    With most of my "plinking" done at less than 50 yards, there is no need to dial up the velocity. My most used guns are a couple of .357 Mag rifles shooting .38's. I have never measured the speed but I cannot see 3 gr of Clays under a 130 gr bullet being very fast...maybe 1000 fps? As long as the load is accurate and inexpensive, it is all I need for my type of plinking. I use the same load for pistol plinking as well. KISS
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

800 to 1050 fps is my preferred "plinking" velocity for both rifle and handgun with cast bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^ What Larry said.

The greatest majority being standard pressure .38 Special in various revolvers, single-shot rook and cowboy rifles.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    "Plinking" to me means shootin' for fun (frequently tin cans). Velocity of a "fun" load is inversely proportional to boolet size: a "fun" load in my 22 hornet goes 2300 fps but a "fun" load in 45 colt is more in the 700 fps range for revolver, 900 in rifle. My "fun" 30/30 load is a 117 grain 32/20 boolet at 1700 fps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast