Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Earning your "man card" type of guns!

A friend bought a T/C 30-30 Contender with the light octagon barrel. We shot 170 gr factory loads to try it out. It wasn't fun. My nephew's .50AE Desert Eagle ejects brass into my forehead. Hard.
    I can shoot a .44 mag effectively so that's my limit.

Had a 16oz charter arms undercover give me a run for my money last year. Did a 500-round p+ load/bullet test using 10 different bullets and 5 different powders. Took 4-hours to run the 500 p+ 38spl's thru that light revolver. The 1st 400 rounds were good, the last 100 shots not so much.
    Last edited by Forrest r; 12-22-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Master

I had a S&W 360PD in 357 mag @11 oz it hirt my hands more than any handgun I had shot previously ! and I have a 3" 629, and a 6"FA 454 Casull that don't hirt me using full loads

Boolit Master
    I had a sharps in .50-140 that was quite a beast to shoot with 650 grain boolit and 140 grains of 2f black. off the bench or even standing it was something. After about 40 rounds my neck wood hurt and eyes would blur a bit.Re barreled to .40-65 much better put .50 barrel on a roller and shortin the chamber to .50-70. Worst was firing my Rossi couch gun with two mag buckshot loads at the same time tried that just once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I had a S&W 360PD in 357 mag @11 oz it hirt my hands more than any handgun I had shot previously ! and I have a 3" 629, and a 6"FA 454 Casull that don't hirt me using full loads
    That 360PD is essentially the same gun as the example I shot just with an exposed hammer. Without a shadow of a doubt a hard buckin bronco! Its not like recoil in the sense of a tremendous shove backwards as in heavier recoil monsters but the lack of any real mass lets that little gun flog the snot out of your hand/wrist! When the primer touches off, instantly that gun torques over on your hand at the speed of light! Probably the closest thing to feeling the same is like a firecracker going off in your hand! It stings!

Some of you guys have gone toe to toe with some real jackhammers!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Back in the '80s I subscribed to "The Gun List" & there would be an occasional add for a #77 Ruger in .458 WM & usually would say a partial box of cartridges included.........only 1 missing.

An acquaintance shot one once & the floor plate unlocked & all cartridges in the magazine fell out on the ground. Too much for me.

Henry

Banned

ive owned and do own 454s 475s and 500s. Gun that hurt me the most to shoot was that 18oz 396 smith 44 special with keith level loads. That thing would draw blood in one cylinder full of ammo probably a tie would be a bond derringer in 44 mag loaded with 300s.

Boolit Buddy
    My worst recoil experience was with a 12 gauge Remington 1100. Happened just before duck season. Myself and 2 friends (brothers - Keith and Wade) were in canoes checking out our duck lease. I was in the front of our canoe, Wade was in the back, Keith by himself in his own. Wade had a new dog he wanted to work so he wanted me to shoot a black bird. I was the only one with a gun. Well, this bird is flying toward us, approaching from my left. I couldn't get the shotgun up fast enough to shoot it as it approached. The bird is now flying away from us, behind me and to my right. Holding that 12 gauge by the wrist, one handed, I sight down the barrel and squeeze off the shot. On recoil, that 12 gauge comes flying through my hand, the hard plastic butt plate striking me in the forehead, knocking me back in the canoe. My only thought is to maintain my grip on the forend, and keep the muzzle pointed toward the sky. GRAB THE GUN! GRAB THE GUN! Keith shouts at Wade. Wade takes the shotgun from me. Sitting back up in my seat, Keith and Wade point at my head and bust out laughing. I have the ridges from that hard plastic butt plate impressed into my forehead. Good thing for me I have a hard head.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Try a Howda caliber .62 with a RB and 120 grains BP. Guaranteed to remove tigers off the back side of your covered seat.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    My Dad has a Ruger #1 he had rebored to 470 Nitro. Very painful to shoot when it's loaded to it's full potential.

Banned

Forgot one. Kelly Brost who at the time owned cast performance bullets had a tc encore at the linebaugh seminar that year chambered in 458 lott. Full power load made you wonder if you were shooting a gun, getting your hand hit buy a train or unleashing a flame thrower.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'll never earn my man card. Wish I could. That way I could run with the "BIG DOGS" but I'll just lay on the porch and dream.

Boolit Buddy
    This one did it for me...

T/C Contender, Super 14 .375 Winchester
    Attachment 210120 Attachment 210121

The LGS had this Contender on consignment in 2000. Along with the Contender were five boxes of Winchester 250-grain Power-Point cartridges. Four of the boxes still their full 20 rounds of factory-loaded cartridges, while the fifth box only still held 18 loaded cartridges and two fired cases. The shop owner told me he had sold that Contender, and the five boxes of ammo, about two years earlier to a local guy who fired it twice and brought the whole outfit back to trade for a .357 Magnum revolver.

I was actually looking for a Contender in .45/70, so I picked up this .375 - and the five boxes of ammo (plus six more boxes of 200-grain Power Point ammo), had the shop owner order me a .45/70 barrel, and walked out the door. I put the little red-dot sight on the .375 about a week later, and went out to zero my new "toy". With the first shot, I knew immediately and precisely why the previous owner had fired only two shots and traded the thing off. Brutal really doesn't even come close to describing the recoil!! By comparison, the .45/70 barrel - also a Super 14, but with a muzzle brake - was mild and pleasant, even with 500-grainers.

Oddly, as unpleasant and painful as the .375 is to shoot, it is the .375 barrel that occupied the Contender frame more often than the .45/70. It's the one I let others shoot, the ones who claim they can handle heavy recoil. Strangely, no one has ever asked to fire the .375 a second time!

For fairness, here's the same Contender, wearing the .45/70 barrel...
    Attachment 210122 Attachment 210123

Jim

Boolit Master
    At what velocity we're you running those 500 grain bullets?

Boolit Master

I was 12 the first time that i shot a 44 magnum Me and my Dad were over at a friends farm shooting when my buddy's Dad
    brought out his SBH 7 1/2 barrel 44 magnum I remember him putting on gloves to shoot it we were shooting at a coffee can
    he put a lot of lead all around it Handed it to my Dad one shot in the center of the can Dad looked at me asked me if i wanted
    to try heck ya I put a hole right next to my Dads I smiled looked at my Dad and handed the gun back to my friends Dad
    my hand hurt after that
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I was 12 the first time that i shot a 44 magnum Me and my Dad were over at a friends farm shooting when my buddy's Dad
    brought out his SBH 7 1/2 barrel 44 magnum I remember him putting on gloves to shoot it we were shooting at a coffee can
    he put a lot of lead all around it Handed it to my Dad one shot in the center of the can Dad looked at me asked me if i wanted
    to try heck ya I put a hole right next to my Dads I smiled looked at my Dad and handed the gun back to my friends Dad
    my hand hurt after that
    You guys sure put the 'stink' on that fella! Shooting heavy loads freehanded is a sure way to develop an inherent flinch that will ruin your grouping ability...I suppose you noticed that when you saw him pounding all around the can.

More than one friend of mine who have hand cannons have let them turn into 'safe queens' that only come out to amuse new shooters.
    Big bores require lot's of talent and strong wills to hit anything but the side of a big red barn.

'Man Cards', 'Man Caves'...wrist breaking big bores...NAAAH, move over there 44MAG#1, got room on the porch for another old dawg?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Most old guys don't need to try to prove anything for any sort of man card, as they earned it decades ago.

Back when I was young it was fun to shoot heavy kicking guns, feel the power and take the pain. Now not so much. I still like my S&W 29s, but don't shoot them a whole lot now. I'm not "old" yet myself, but I'm happy just shooting what I enjoy, and I just don't enjoy pain anymore.

Boolit Master
    Oh come on now......we were all young and dumb once on our lives.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

No clue as far as a comparison because I have not shot hotter than a +p 38 in one of those light weight 357s
    I have however shot 250 round session of top end 250 grain bullet with 2400 powder from my 6 1/2” 629.
    The same load from a 329 was one and done. Absolutely punishing. Way more recoil than the mid range 500 S&W I shot a year later

Navy WW2 flare gun with 12guage chamber bushing & 12g Brenneke 2 3/4mag rifled slug. This
    combo puts the P in pain, as well as down your leg.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast