MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Earning your "man card" type of guns!

Probably no attention getter better than the 4 1/2" fixed sight FA in 454 I had with 36.5 grains of H110 and the 240 grain XTP Mag, very few would shoot more than one in it. That load was more brutal with it's violent recoil and the hand sting was severe over the heavier bullet full house loads. Long gone for 6" sights MUCH easier to handle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA 4.5.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	210167

The 45 Colt 270 grn. +P loads in this little bugger is a handful, but surprisingly accurate at 15 yards,,
    and does a number on warm cans of soda,,,,

Name:	6.0-grn.-R.D.-270-Milec.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	210170 to the little SA.

But this one is the most intimidating with it's bark and the concussion you feel from the Muzzle Blast when you set that baby off with 52.5 grains of H110,,, then at night it's blinding so most when they see the fire, feel the concussion on their body, and hear the blast say forget it,, I ain't shoot'n it. But the Ross break does give it considerable manners! Now has 3 set's of rings to keep the scope from moving.

Name:	_MG_0341-II.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	210168

Mine was an Ithaca Model 66 12 ga.. It is a single shot 30" full choked beast. I shot some 3 in slug rounds thru it when I was 16 as a lark. It kicks worst then my 300 Wby. The second was a FA 454 Casull with a 5" barrel. It sure got your attention with full house loads. It took a week for my thumb to feel normal again.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

You might have a man card shooting small 357s but can you clear your nose without getting snot on your Carharts while NOT breaking your stride? LOL

I didn't mean anything off by this.

To me the man card comes when you have to do something no one else wants to do...including your self.
    Last edited by pmer; 12-25-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I have taken punishment enough from that little Smith, no more of that nonsense!

Now I'd be open to try anything once and I can tolerate a few rounds of abuse here and there. I don't go looking for abuse on the other hand. I have experienced one of the nastiest of nasty guns. The man card line is just an attempt at some humor! Sometimes you have to make the best of it!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

The term "man card" is a pleasant way of saying OOOOUUUUCCCHHHH!!!!!

May you all have a very Merry Christmas!!
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I've never felt that I had to prove my manlines! Years ago when I first took up turkey hunting I picked up a box Remington 12ga. 2oz. Turkey loads, cause I thought that's what I needed to kill hunt with. And at that time I was using a NEF 12ga single shot, and boy you talk about rattle you're teeth! I've since learned that it doesn't take an artillery round to kill a turkey, and it doesn't have to be painful.

For me I do not have to prove anything of what i shoot. I have a 10ga side by side that I shoot once in awhile and that is with the 3 1/2" shells and I know someone one that was shooting off there mouth about shooting shot guns and I told him you come to the house I will let you shoot my 10ga. So him and his farther show up and I let him shoot it and told him about hold the gun tight on your shoulder and he did the first shot and then in no time shot the 2nd and that what did him in .His farther did the same thing and ask if they like to shoot it again and said no way.I have shot my muzzle loader with the round it need to this year before deer season and it had no recoil pad on it and after 4 rounds.I brought down to my gun smith and had him put recoil pads on it.That took care of the kick it gives. When I was about 10 , my dad ask if I like to shoot his 30-30 Marlin and said yes and I never had shot a rifle like that and end up on my butt. Today I got one like that and no problems on it. Who said about you to take the recoil . If I feel like it I have them shoot the 10ga and not tell them anything and see what they do.My brother did not want to listen to how to shoot it and found out the hard way.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Wasn't that question by the OP actually asked in a fun way? Many seem upset by it.

Quote Originally Posted by tim338 View Post
    My Dad has a Ruger #1 he had rebored to 470 Nitro. Very painful to shoot when it's loaded to it's full potential.
    Try Noe's cast boolit in 475, makes a double that a buddy has fun to shoot. Just cast up a batch of boolits to load up the 40 pieces of brass that sit on my bench. He supplies the molds and the stuffing to go into the cartridges and the rifle. I supply the sweat equity and have fun loading cool stuff and get to shoot exceptionally cool rifles.

Boolit Master

I've got a FA .454 w/.45Colt & .45ACP cylinders. Have never shot it with the .454 cylinder. Also have a .475 Linebaugh built by Linebaugh that I've only shot midrange loads in. A 5 shot .45 Colt that has never seen a maximum load. I like owning them but after a couple of not quite maximum loads, I decided to stay at the lower level. I sometimes wish that I had been able to afford these guns when I was under 40. Now at 75 I have enough pains that I don't want to intentionally create more.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got a FA .454 w/.45Colt & .45ACP cylinders. Have never shot it with the .454 cylinder. Also have a .475 Linebaugh built by Linebaugh that I've only shot midrange loads in. A 5 shot .45 Colt that has never seen a maximum load. I like owning them but after a couple of not quite maximum loads, I decided to stay at the lower level. I sometimes wish that I had been able to afford these guns when I was under 40. Now at 75 I have enough pains that I don't want to intentionally create more.
    Sometimes, it's the pain that reminds you that you are still alive... Quite frankly though, I really don't think I need this level of reminding...

Boolit Master
    my man card with guns came when i was 15. i didn't really know anything about handloading, yet, but a friend had gotten into it by using pull down components from a variety off old shotshells. my lack of knowledge kept any alarms from going off, so i handed him an empty twenty guage 3" shell i had picked up, and he proceeded to 'load' it for me. then i shot this round from an old harrington + richardson heavy breach single shot of 1930's or 1940's vintage. when i pulled the trigger, 3 inches of the breech disintegrated, the sides of the action from the breech block to the hinge pin flared outward, and the trigger guard flew forward into the palm of my hand with enough force to leave an impression of the leading tang of the guard in the rawhide glove i was wearing! my hand felt like it was broken, and in the process of walking home, about a half mile, i went into mild shock, and had to be coaxed by the friend (not the 'handloader') to continue back home. in trying to piece together why the shotgun blew, besides the likely overcharge, we figure the shotgun was chambered in 2.75 shells, and the forcing cone caused enough of a restriction to cause the breech to 'grenade'. that event caused me to get serious about reloading, to be able to call b.s. when someone starts off in a direction that could get them or someone else hurt!

I've an 8 3/8" S&W SS 629 44 Mag with a 4x leupold scope.

I don't know why, but I just LOVE shooting the **** thing.

Blowing moles out of the run at point blank range just makes me giggle like a 6 year old girl.

Too much information, I know. But there it is.

Did I mention I *HATE* moles?
    Last edited by Hannibal; 12-26-2017 at 01:58 AM.

A fellow I knew at work intentionally over-loaded a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull to the point that it sprung the frame.

I'll not post the loads, or how many it took. But it was ridiculous.

I will say it took 6 months to get there.

He's still alive. Can't say the same for the Taurus.

**** fool.

You all will laugh, but I have an H&R model 088 20 gauge 3" full choke that will absolutely 'ring your bell' with heavy loads.

That thing will 'put you in skirts'.

My neighbor has a Ruger #1 in 45-70.

OH. MY. GOSH. THAT. HURT.

Saeco 19. 461 grains. 53 grains of IMR 3031.

Ow.

Ow.

Ow.

Mother.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 12-26-2017 at 01:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    The first revolver I bought is a 8 3/8" Smith 460 mag. I think my load for the 300 jhp is 42.0 grains of Win 296 and it showed right at 2,000 fps on my chrono. 240 jhp and around 45 grains of powder is more like 2200 fps. The recoil is stout but the noise, even doubled up and the concussion (slap to the sinuses) is a bit much. Light and mid loads are very fun. 44 mag level loads are very tolerable for recoil and not as bad for concussion. It is very versatile and the craftsmanship, trigger feel, and looks are worth enjoying.

This year, I bought my second revolver. There likely isn't any way I will fire a full power load from this one. No way, hell no! Smith M&P 340 357 mag. It is scandium but with a stainless cylinder. 38 +p are great and while you know you have shot something that kicks (it has crimson trace green laser grips) it is still fun. With light loads it is a very nice little pistol.

Smith 500 revolvers have some kick and a shooting buddy had me try factory ammo in his, before he did. He was a bit shy and let me be the test dummy.

Another shooting buddy let me try his 45-100. I think it was a 405 grain cast boolit he loaded up and may have been at 1800 fps. I wasn't going to and should have skipped it. My body just can't take that anymore as I have constant muscle tension and neck and back issues.

I agree with others, load them so they are fun. My 30-30 load is 1300-1400 fps and has mild recoil and the 30-06 is the same. The AR 9mm is great for plinking and competing. As a teen, I could shoot a big coffee can of full power 30-06 in a day. A couple decades later.........nope.

Boolit Master
    I used to have a Tokarev pistol that I converted to .38 Super and it was something of a handful then. They used to make a barrel conversion for them years ago.

I used to own a little stainless S&W .38 revolver years ago. I used it as a backup when I was doing police work at the time. It was a handful shooting the .38 Special police issue ammo for qualification though. You had to shoot 50 rounds and towards the end it was getting quite challenging.

I still have two monster guns. One is a .69 caliber flintlock pistol that I use .69 Minnie balls in. It is heaving 750 grain lead bullets out of the barrel. The more current monster pistol is a Magnum Research .45-70 revolver with a 6 inch barrel. Don't shoot it at night as the flash will kill your night vision. The recoil can get pretty strong with heavier bullets. You know, if a gun has a really tall front sight, then that might be a hint as to its recoil potential.

Name:	69_cal_flintlock_pistol_01.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	210301

Name:	45-70_Magnum_Research_BFR_05.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	210302
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-26-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Master

I earned my first Man Card with a Charter Arms Bulldog, 250 grain Keith and his load of 17.5 grains of 2400. I've shot a few since then ('73) but as I age . . .

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I have a Smith 460 8 3/8’s with the brake. With full power loads I can handle 2-3 cylinders before I have to call uncle! The good thing about this is when I pick up my 629 Classic afterwards, it’s actually a joy to shoot! The one that made me quit after one shot was my Stoeger Coach that I shoot for cowboy action. It’s chambered for 3” shells, so one day when I was practicing, I decided to drop a few 3” 00 buck magnum shells to see what it was like. Big mistake! Touched one off, thought I had broken my shoulder and have no inkling to ever try that again!

Boolit Master
    I can’t remember if my friend had the 340 or the 360 but I will say without a doubt nothing to this day has hurt my hand like that little j frame did. After shooting 5 factory 125gr 357 Mag rounds I lost the feeling in my ring and pinky finger for close to two weeks.
    He bought both the 347 and 44 mag models when they first came out. He used to guide fishing trips in Alaska so he had the 44Mag for that and carried the 357 when in town.
    Took me a long time before I was interested in shooting a j frame again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast