Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Earning your "man card" type of guns!

Boolit Master

Took my 470 nitro express double rifle to the range today for the first time... That was interesting.

This is a video of IdahoSharpshooter(another member here) and myself shooting the 2 Bore pistol I built:
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master

Nice video!

Boolit Master
    I just saw this and the 2-bore rifle "Double Deuce" you built previewed/auctioned at the recent Rock Island Auction!

I will say you make some incredible guns! I'm an admirer of your work!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I just saw this and the 2-bore rifle "Double Deuce" you built previewed/auctioned at the recent Rock Island Auction!

I will say you make some incredible guns! I'm an admirer of your work!
    Thank You for the compliment. The customer who ordered them and another of my rifles passed away from a heart attack about a year and half ago. Nearly all of his collection was auctioned off or sold, the people in his family who might have wanted the guns passed away before he did(son had an accident and his twin brother died of cancer). He was a big bore collector and had a pretty amazing collection...several 4 bore SXS rifles a 600NE Encore Pistol, 950JDJ rifle...two big safes stacked 3 or 4 deep in every slot with rifles and the shelves filled with big bore pistols. He was a really nice guy and will be missed by many people.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StolzerandSons View Post
    Thank You for the compliment. The customer who ordered them and another of my rifles passed away from a heart attack about a year and half ago. Nearly all of his collection was auctioned off or sold, the people in his family who might have wanted the guns passed away before he did(son had an accident and his twin brother died of cancer). He was a big bore collector and had a pretty amazing collection...several 4 bore SXS rifles a 600NE Encore Pistol, 950JDJ rifle...two big safes stacked 3 or 4 deep in every slot with rifles and the shelves filled with big bore pistols. He was a really nice guy and will be missed by many people.
    Hate to see stories end that way but I suppose we all have to pay the piper in the end. Hopefully the guns we cherish go to folks that care for them like we do. We are just temporary custodians and curators of our collections.

I really liked that gorgeous 4-bore stopping rifle you built! A piece that can actually be enjoyed without risking a historically significant gun.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Took my 470 nitro express double rifle to the range today for the first time... That was interesting.
    Check post 109.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dinger lantern.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	210565

470 Nitro did the majority of the damage with cast plinker load. This was my Holloween porch lantern. That is a section of Oxygen cylinder from the 30's. ~ 5/16 wall thickness. 416 Rigby did help some too

Boolit Master

Nice, thanks

Boolit Master
    I got my man card(not that I need one, I'm not insecure) a few years ago with 2 rds from a 14" Contender in 45-70 with modern levergun loads. Still had the factory, wood, grip. That one hurt.

Maybe three winters ago I got the card punched again with one of those little Smiths.

Three guys were shooting on our indoor range. I'm guessing off-duty LEOs from our only "big city" the Republik of Burlington. Their Dept. is known for poor range behavior and are personnel-non-grata at most of the ranges within driving distance.

Anyhow, I was RO for the evening, slow night just me & the three stooges. Frat house antics, barely spoke to me when they came in. I caught one of them fanning a single action 22, had the pleasure of counseling him for that.

So, a while later Larry drug out the monster Smith. Offered it to Moe & Curly, in turn, they fired one round each. Then they danced around shaking their hands and cussin'. Being curious I had to ask what that thing was and I got the whole whoopla about what it was made of, how little it weighed. Then he asked if I wanted to try it. "Sure, I'll burn your ammo"

And so I did, vicious little monster, DA! No way to get off a second shot without re-gripping the thing it twisted THAT bad. It also dug about an 1/8" deep x 1/4" wide and 3/8" long chunk out of the inside of my right thumb just ahead of the web. I knew it had bit me and I wanted to cry. But I didn't, I rolled off the last two in the cylinder(tighter grip for those) then handed Larry back his gun. I got a "Whadda ya think?" out of him and said something like "You might want to wipe the blood off it."

And I still didn't cry!!
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

I would have to say it was a Linebaugh, just can't remember which caliber due to the fact it's been over a decade. But, it was a handgun I decided I was pretty sure I'd never want or find a need to own.

Second to that in my own personal collection, is a S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun Talo Special with a 4" barrel. I cast some Lee 320 grain slugs and stopped at 19.0 grains of a slow burning powder. I've been told all my life I have big hands and huge wrists. 18 rounds of the above combination out of that Mountain Gun, and my wrists hurt. Never, have I had any gun do that to me. Back in the day, I would sometimes shoot 100 rounds of the classic Keith load out of my 6" 29-2 and have no problems.

And finally, not a 'man' card. But a great gal is this photo. I was standing there when her father took this photo. And that single action on her hip ain't nothing to play with either, trust me. Oh, almost forgot. You should see her empty the magazine of a Thompson class III, and laughing while doing so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carlyn - Fireball.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	210832

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Yeah women can show it how it is done for sure. It does tend to obfuscate the man card issue though.

One handed with S&W .500 magnum pistol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFAApRUH094

or the short barrel version one handed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDcsW7ZEcAQ

This lady too was really liking it too. At5 feet and 105 pounds the gun was almost as big and heavy as she is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnsEjKS9F4

Of course there was that super wimpy reporter who did that NYT article about how terrifying a AR15 .223 was. Loud, powerful, and it bruised his shoulder after he fired one. It sorta makes me want to puke. he will be among the first to die with the SHTF scenario happens.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2673201
    Last edited by Earlwb; 01-01-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add more information

For me it was, a Freedom Arms M83 2" with Freedom Arms 325 gr Loads. I still shoot it once or twice a year. I hunt with a 4" and 300 cast loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Yeah women can show it how it is done for sure. It does tend to obfuscate the man card issue though.
    I work with a lady, small critter, weighs like 100# wet. She goes kayaking and to the range when I and some friends go. After a few months, we had to give her an honorary man card, despite the obvious mismatch of 'parts'. She hung with us on the guns and whatnot. Some women like to play like the boys do, and they don't have to be butch. they can go shoot smoke poles, go fishing, whatever, then turn around and be fem.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Of course there was that super wimpy reporter who did that NYT article about how terrifying a AR15 .223 was. Loud, powerful, and it bruised his shoulder after he fired one. It sorta makes me want to puke. he will be among the first to die with the SHTF scenario happens.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2673201
    When i read that, I was unsure whether to die laughing.. or be saddened / sickened. How does an AR-15 in .223 / 5.56 bruise your shoulder???? you can shoot them 1-handed like a pistol.... easily!

I went back and re- watched the video. It looks like the reporter kept moving the butt stock off his shoulder repeatedly when looking down the weapon. If he did this while shooting I can see it thumping his shoulder.. but still can't see it hurting him... unless he is very, very, very fragile. We take my buddies KIDS out shooting.. one of his girls was 16 when she started shooting 30-06... and she would go thru a box or two at the range, easy.
    Last edited by Soundguy; 01-02-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    I remember there was a lot of outrage on the internet about that wimpy reporter. He later admitted that he over exaggerated it all and basically lied about it for dramatic effect.

Boolit Master
    Basically lied is an understatement....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have a Redhawk that has the 7.5" barrel. I really like 23.5 grn of 296 under a 240 grn gc or jacketed boolit. Or the other load I like is 22 grn 2400 alliant. Both have a hefty boom.
    You can't really shoot either load one handed, but you can hit clays at 100 yards with those loads.

Boolit Master

I suspect that my .44mag Redhawk has probably the most kick of any of my handguns. Either that or a full load in the Ruger SBH in .45LC...

On the other hand, that stiff load in the Redhawk is not that big of a deal in the Rossi M92.

124gr Hydrshok through my derringer. That absolutely sucked, and the 158gr 38 special through the same gun with the extra set of barrels wasn’t much fun either. I’d rather run 310gr 2400 loads through my M69 all day instead.

Boolit Buddy

Mine was earned with a Lou Horton spl. model 29 with the K framed round butt and the 2 3/4" ? barrel with full house 240 gr PMC about 30 years ago. Close is my 12" TC in 45/70. Some of you folks are nuts LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walla2 View Post
    In the late 70's I was at the range. A fellow showed up with a 505 Gibbs on a huge Mauser action. He shot it a couple times and asked if I wanted to try it. Sure I said. I sat at the bench lined it up and fired. It rocked me so much my toes came up and struck the bottom of the bench. THANKS I said as I gave it back. Man that hurt. Man card issued and framed.
    The biggest gun I've ever shot was a 458 Win Mag. The fella who owned it was nice enough to show me how to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle first. It didn't kick near as hard as I though it would when I did it his way.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast