MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Earning your "man card" type of guns!

Boolit Master

Earning your "man card" type of guns!

So I can seriously check a box after this weekend in regards to shooting a gun that is so fierce, you have effectively earned man card points! A gun so nasty to shoot you can honestly question your sanity or judgment. I did take on the said opportunity this weekend and I can say I feel like I accomplished victory over a worthy adversary and I feel slightly tenderized at the same time. That adversary was my buddy's carry piece, a S&W 340PD. This is of course a J-Frame chambered in .357 Magnum which if it was a steel model 60 it wouldn't be that notable but it is a scandium airweight frame and with a titanium cylinder to make it ultra light. The minimal weight is a trade off for unprecedented violence with .357's in the cylinder. Both he and I carry our J-Frames with warm .38 special loads so this was just a range challenge! Most will fire 1 round and with a jittery movement, set it back down on the table! I fired a full cylinder of Remington factory loads, one strong hand, one weak and a cylinder full of my .357 handload, a 158gr Berry's plated RN over 18.2gr of Power Pro MP-300 which is plenty stout, top-end charge and good for incredible muzzle flash and fire rings in my 686. Shooting that little hellion is about like putting your hand on a table and smacking it with a hammer! Pure evil in that little gun! I'm curious how nasty a 329PD is in comparison.

What kind of demonic cannons have you all gone toe to toe with?
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 12-20-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

My buddy has a Ruger LCR. I’m not sure what rounds he had it loaded with, but after three of them I was ready to turn in my man card, for sure.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    My buddy has a Ruger LCR. I’m not sure what rounds he had it loaded with, but after three of them I was ready to turn in my man card, for sure.
    lmao.....guilty here.... my first handgun purchase was a lcr 357. It's quite stout with magnum rounds my wife still won't touch it.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

My brother had a BFR in .480 at one point. He got a little overconfident at the bench one day, loosened his grip a little, and the front sight gashed his forehead through his cap! I only wish I could have been there to see it when it happened.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Boolit Grand Master
    I will never earn my card. I see no point in having a gun I cannot shoot.

My worst recoil experience was shooting a light .338 Win Mag off a bench. An older gentleman could not get it to shoot. He saw me shooting MOA groups and asked for help to get it sighted in for a moose hunt. I got the scope dialed in with 8-9 shots and he was so pleased he told me I could finish up the box of ammo. I said I had had enough (every shot hurt) but that he should fire three shots to confirm is was sighted in for him. He fired a 10" pattern. I looked at him and told him he was flinching due to the recoil and to get a .30/06 for his hunt.

When I got my .300 Win Mag, I had a muzzle brake put on it and have never fired it without the brake.

Wussy Man.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Thanks anyway, I'll stick with 38s, 44s and 45s.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

You can keep the card. Shooting guns that hurt doesn't make you man. It makes you a fool IMO. I have no desire to develop a flinch, worse than I already have.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both 340 & 360 Ti/Sc .357s. For me, they are (with real .357 Mag ammo)the nastiest recoiling handguns I've ever shot. Actually split the web of my hand (requiring stitches) on the bone at the base of my thumb with the 340 and factory Bantam grips. Also, it hammers my trigger finger unmercifully.

I've shot the 329 Ti/Sc extensively but only when equipped with the S&W Hogue 500 X Frame grips. With the Hogue 500s, it's much more comfortable to shoot than the 340/360.

Also have a 18 oz, 3 1/4" .44 special (equipped with the Hogue 500s) that when loaded up is nastier than the 329, but more comfortable than the 340/360.

FWIW,

Paul

Boolit Grand Master

My 340 is carried with 38 special +p ammo and for practice 2.7 grns bullseye with a 148 grn wadcutter. I like it for the light weight and ease of carry

MMM: That nasty little 357 is my daughters carry gun. Yes, I load 38spl for her. SIL and I fired some 158gr. bullets over 10gr. of Blue Dot. Next to my 45ACP Double Tap and full tilt 454 Casull out of my 15" T/C encore it was the worst.

I gave up on high recoiling firearms when I started developing arthritis. My shoulders and wrists will no longer take the abuse.
    The youngsters can fight with that stuff all they want.

Boolit Buddy

In the late 70's I was at the range. A fellow showed up with a 505 Gibbs on a huge Mauser action. He shot it a couple times and asked if I wanted to try it. Sure I said. I sat at the bench lined it up and fired. It rocked me so much my toes came up and struck the bottom of the bench. THANKS I said as I gave it back. Man that hurt. Man card issued and framed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My 340 is carried with 38 special +p ammo and for practice 2.7 grns bullseye with a 148 grn wadcutter. I like it for the light weight and ease of carry
    Exactly what I carry as well. Speer Gold dot 38+p and practice/qualify with 148 wadcutters or standard 38 special loads.

Boolit Master

Shot a 500 S&W 3 times. That was enough. I got ridiculed for not emptying the cylinder. No thanks.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Shot a 500 S&W 3 times. That was enough. I got ridiculed for not emptying the cylinder. No thanks.
    By ridiculing you, that person was showing just how sad was the level of their own I.Q.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I earned my man card many years ago shooting a buddy's Raging Bull in 454 Casull. Actually that gun did an amazing job of taming the Casull cartridge,but the noise and concussion were almost painful.
    My first handgun was a S&W 629 Classic with 5 inch barrel. In those days if it wasn't belching fire and kicking the snot out of me I didn't want to shoot it.
    Now days it's mild 38 Special and 45 ACP with a few 9mm thrown in for good measure.

I still enjoy reading and hearing about the big boomers,but will let someone else do the shooting.

Boolit Master

Probably the worst was a 12-gauge pistol grip shotgun fired one handed. It just seemed to *destroy* my wrist...

I was on the range one day and an ex-friend of mine had a short barrel Ruger 454 Casull. He had not fired it that day yet, and asked if I wanted to shoot it. Heck yea! My first shot at 25 yards was spot on, the next one went into the dirt in front of the target. I think I must have been anticipating the recoil. I finished the cylinder and as I walked up to the target, I noticed the Ruger emblem in the palm of my hand. The feeling in my hand reminded me of the time as a kid that a black cat firecracker went off in my hand. I made some comment to him and he said, "yea those reloads of mine are pretty stout, they bent the frame on my Taurus 454 and I had to send it back". As I said ex-Friend.

Take an old single shot 12 gauge with no recoil pad and shoot 5 rounds of 3" OOB from the bench. Get your Stupid Man diploma!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought my friend’s 480 Ruger was fairly mild to shoot out of his stainless Blackhawk.

Somewhat obnoxious is my .54 TC Scout pistol with a 530 grain bullet and a hefty charge of 777.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast