Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to find a good mold for 7.62x39 for an ak-47

Boolit Buddy
    I wish it was Imi, it's actually fms headstamps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Strtspdlx View Post
    Do you guys anneal these cases? And have you ever seen them I'm small pistol primer?
    I anneal cases when the necks start splitting. So far I've found no need with any 7.62x39 cases.

My R-P 7.62x39 cases has SR primer pockets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I meant small rifle primers. No idea whyno wrote small pistol other then work is hectic.

I’ve had good success with Lee C312-155 and C309-170 FN in an AR-15 chambered in 7.62X39 loaded in Winchester brass using 2400.

Sent Via Tapatalk
    Okie

We have a saying in our house: No pity for self inflicted wounds!

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Larry, or anyone else, how is the 160gr TL version of this bullet, as compared to the 155?

I’m not a big fan of tumble lubing but I powder coat now so I thought I’d see how the six cavity 312-160 TL mood works.
    The Lee TL bullets rifle or handgun take PC just fine, I haven't tumble lube mine since I started PC'ing bullets. I'll coat up a few over the weekend and post a pic but you want be disappointed doing it yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone try the Unique loads in Lyman's books? I'll be running a gas checked 140 grain cast bullet.

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    I've had excellent luck with the Lee .312, 160 grain TL bullet 2X coated with Harbor Freight red. I can usually keep 10 rounds inside four inches at 100 yards through a 59/66 SKS.

Back when I was using Xlox tumble lube, I had problems with my WASR 10 soldering the piston into the gas block whenever I shot more than five or six shots spaced less than @ a minute apart. I never had that problem with either of my SKS's.

I recently got a Mihec .308 Hunting Hollowpoint mold (mainly for use in 30-30 and .308), I intend to try them out in 7.62x39 if I can ever get a round tuit...
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...

Boolit Buddy
    Groovy Mike I ran my 135gn noe at 10.5 grains of unique and saw pressure signs and my 155gn lee at 10gn unique and saw pressure signs. Neither would cycle the action ever.

First try with the 7.62x39 today. 15 grains 2400 under the Lee TL 160, Lee lube with a g/c.
    Shot from an AK, cycled the action nicely, brass ended up 5 feet to the right, 8-10 feet forward as opposed to the standard moon launch trajectory of factory ammo. I like it!

Boolit Bub
    Is anyone powder coating the Lee c312-155-2r and loading without a gas check? I'm new to AK loading and AK in general. What are the things to look for to be aware of leading issues. I might try some wet cardboard to get a look at a fired bullet. 23 grains of h 4895 cycled my new PSAK perfectly and tossed the brass 14 feet. PSA say the barrel is .311 so I am sizing to 312 after coating and they slid through sizer super easy.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    You know there are some of us who prefer going bigger instead, and slower. Lower the speed a third, raise the weight a third. Still get very similar energy downrange. But your not fighting that fast twist, by lowering the charge a bit your not fighting to get it all in the case either.

20 grains of IMR 4895 runs my SKS like a swiss clock. And while I would make no wild claims about MOA. It was nailing quarter sized pieces of broken clay pigeon off the 50 yard berm like nobody's business.

If you are willing to settle for crappy accuracy, and still have high speeds buy Wolf or tulammo.
    Larry already told you gospel truth. So go play with it until you figure out maybe he told ya true the first time.

Don't take my word for it. But I love that Lee .312 185 gr gc in my SKS. She likes them big, and set close to the rifling.
    I can verify the above...........I used Jr.1942's idea of a rnfp 173"ish" grain gc boolit, backed up with 21 grains of 4895. My SKS chugs along happily and drops the empties in a nice pile. It's fairly accurate to 100 yards and that flat point hits like a ton of bricks. Jr.1942 developed it as a hog load for the south.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12