MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Favorite Sabot Slugs?

Boolit Master

Favorite Sabot Slugs?

Hey guys and gals,

I got a rifled slug barrel for my 870 for Christmas, and I'm looking for a good factory sabot load for deer.

What have you guys had good luck with that won't break the bank?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Hi there Chris, For me I've had good results with the Winchester BRI sabot slug. Up here in Canada these go for around $21/5.

Right now I'm in between those (BRI) and my cast "Hammerhead" Slugs R Us cast slugs.
    Cheers,

Jamie

Boolit Master
    I have an 870 with a rifled barrel, too. I just use either the remington or winchester foster slugs. They perform well, and certainly don't break the bank, unlike the sabot slugs. Been using them for years without any problems. Killed deer out to 70 yds with them.

Boolit Master
    I'm quite partial to the Remington 2 3/4" Accutip slugs in both the 12 and 20 gauge . Matter of fact in my rifled shotguns that's all I'll shoot anymore .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I ran 4 boxes of those accutips in 3 inch out of a light pump gun once off a bench , I still didn't have the gun sighted in and had a vicious headache afterwards , I was flinching so bad by time I got to the third box that I could barely look through the scope - that's when my buddy said you should use the 2 3/4 . I never did get around to them and a still have nightmares about that day

are those the kind that shoot what looks like a big pistol jacketed HP with a plastic tip?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    I think that is the one , they came out after the Remington copper solids , everyone around here loves the 20 gage accutips in 2-3/4 . I live in a shotgun only county ,

Boolit Master

I don't have anything to add factory load wise as I load my own slugs, but I did want to say hello, good to see you young man. I hope things are going well for you.

Boolit Master

Most folk here shoot home rolled stuff and I'm assuming you reload center fire. You'll probably get to reloading your slugs after paying through the nose for the store bought sabots. Welcome to the BIG LEAD forum where we generally weigh our powder in grains but our projectiles in ounces! And there are lots of ways to put meat on the table as I'm working through everything I load to do just that.

Lyman 525 out of 870 rifled, 70 yds
    Attachment 209899

#1 buck to the head, 870 28" full choke 28 yds
    Attachment 209900

Uncle Dino's 20ga plastic base 3/4 oz slug from Savage 220
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	209901

Uncle Dino's 12 ga plastic base 1 1/8 oz slug, USH, neck shot 86 yds.
    Attachment 209902

Lee 7/8 Key drive, 870 police IC, 65 yds
    Attachment 209903

Not pictured, 4 more hogs and 1 deer w/Dino's 20 ga. plastic base 20 ga slugs and 1 hog w/ 2-600 ball load from rifled 870. Also 1 deer with special single 600 ball light load out of 870 police and a coyote with #1 buck 870 FC.

Lot's of ways to get 'er done.
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 12-20-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Hastings barrel on my 870 Police ... 12ga ... and got good results with the Federal Power-Shok 1oz sabot ... around a 2 1/4 inch group at 100 yards/meters ... and those are relatively cheap ....

Name:	870_Police_Magpul.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	209915

Name:	Federal_PowerShok_Sabot_Slug.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	209916

Name:	970_Police_Hastings_Rifled_Federal_PowerShok_Sabot_100M.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	209917

I will be loading some Hammerhead slugs from SlugsRUs over the winter and try them in the spring .... people report very good accuracy with those ...

http://www.slugsrus.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I have an 870 with a rifled barrel, too. I just use either the remington or winchester foster slugs. They perform well, and certainly don't break the bank, unlike the sabot slugs. Been using them for years without any problems. Killed deer out to 70 yds with them.
    Doesn’t your barrel lead up like all hell? I’ll stick to sabots that are designed for rifled barrels and leave the Foster slugs for my smooth bore.
    For the amount I spend on sabot slugs ($21 for 5) I don’t think that sacrificing accuracy to save a buck is worth it especially when shooting at an animal.
    Having said all that, I have a **** ton of Slugs R Us SPW cast slugs, wads and hulls to turn into an accurate affordable meat maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
    Hi there Chris, For me I've had good results with the Winchester BRI sabot slug. Up here in Canada these go for around $21/5.

Right now I'm in between those (BRI) and my cast "Hammerhead" Slugs R Us cast slugs.
    Cheers,

Jamie
    How ya liking the Hammerheads? I was looking at that but picked up a Russian mold with the tail wads first. The dang wads are pretty pricey on those Hamemrheads aren't they?

Kraken Fan #69

Boolit Master
    Doesn’t your barrel lead up like all hell? I’ll stick to sabots that are designed for rifled barrels and leave the Foster slugs for my smooth bore.
    For the amount I spend on sabot slugs ($21 for 5) I don’t think that sacrificing accuracy to save a buck is worth it especially when shooting at an animal.
    Having said all that, I have a **** ton of Slugs R Us SPW cast slugs, wads and hulls to turn into an accurate affordable meat maker.
    When my distributers have the Remington AccuTip in stock they cost me dealer cost about $2 a shot . Earlier this year I wanted to get 10 boxes and wasn't having any luck so I went on Gunbroker and got 10 boxes from another dealer for $150 that's still only $3 a shot . I think in the course of a hunting season I might shoot 10 shots usually and of the ten 5 or 6 are for checking the sight in before the season . I only use the slug guns if I hunt a NWR in MD .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by KrakenFan69 View Post
    How ya liking the Hammerheads? I was looking at that but picked up a Russian mold with the tail wads first. The dang wads are pretty pricey on those Hamemrheads aren't they?

Kraken Fan #69
    $8 US for 20 converted to Cdn funds is $10.19, I wasn't overly worried on price when I ordered 500
    So far I've only fired them out to 50 yards and I thought for sure that I only hit the target once and the other two were flyers!
    Just recently I had to send the mould back and SRU sent me a brand new one, the halves weren't lining up. Here, the great white north temperature dropped up here so I've yet to do any casting lately.

Boolit Master
    Hi there, Huntsman

I have not experienced any leading to speak of, given the minimal amount of shooting I do. My 870 is scoped, and sighting in is when I shoot the most slugs through it. After that, I usually shoot it 2-3 times during a season. I don't target practice with it, nor shoot to check the scope settings. Normally, when I shoot it, it's because I have a deer in my sights. Most of my deer only take one shot, ranges from 18 yd to 70 yd. Quite often I will shoot a deer one year, and won't shoot it again till the following year, at another deer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I don't have anything to add factory load wise as I load my own slugs, but I did want to say hello, good to see you young man. I hope things are going well for you.
    Thanks!

Things are going well. Staying pretty busy with my wife in Nursing school and 2 kids.

Finally getting to the point where I can afford to play, now just have to find time to..
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"