Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Colt 1878 DA Revolver 38-40 experience/help

Colt 1878 DA Revolver 38-40 experience/help

Colt 1878 DA Revolver 38-40 experience/help

Have a chance to get a Colt 1878 Frontier DA Revolver in 38-40/38 WCF. DOM 1893. Makes it a BP period/frame. So, some questions...

1) Assume it is recommended to shoot only BP loads?
    2) What about very low pressure smokeless loads?
    3) If BP loads only, any BP load recommendations? I will be casting 180 grn pure lead bullets.

Thanx

Boolit Master
    Like most Black powder cartridge guns, carefully loaded low pressure smokeless loads should be fine.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I'd stick to BP, but I load my 44-40's in BP anyway. Those are relatively fragile actions, take it easy shooting it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The pistol you are considering is probably the worst design that Colt ever came up with. I bought one many years ago and the pistol didn't work when I bought it. I took it to a gun smith and after two weeks I went back to his shop, he handed me the pistol and said he couldn't not fix it. I sold the think for what I gave for it. I must admit it, was a beautiful hand gun.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

auction went outside my wheelhouse... gonna pass... thanx for all the advice!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We have one each of the Lightning and Thunderers (41). Keep looking about if you want one as they do pop up at unexpected times and places.
    Powder As mentioned there are few Smithy's who will consider working on one. Parts are scavenged from rusted out revolvers when not available so expensive. So unless you are well heeled consider BP only. We use 3F Goex when we shoot our's and have never had an issue with pressure and never will. One double charge with smokeless and you have loaded your self into a sad day.

Double action We shoot our's mostly Single Action due to the "intricate fitting" of the double action parts. But off and on run through the double action at a very conservative speed. Never, no never Dry Fire ! Never !!
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Smart move passing on this one. I am a colt collector and shooter but these mainly belong in collections. If someone has one in the family as a passed down heirloom, then that is different but to buy one with the intention of loading and shooting, caution applies. Now if you find a Colt New Service, even the older pre positive lock, you have a gun that most likely still works and will keep on working.

Decades ago I was offered a .41cal thunderer for a "reasonable" price ($550) which I took to be too reasonable as a friend advised
    "ask yourself what my grandfather would ask(His grand father was Japanese) " "What is wrong with this fish?".

Which as it was explained to me was a question you should ask yourself just before you ask yourself if you should walk or RUN from a particular deal.

The Colt Double action revolvers of 1877 refered to as "lightning" (for the38cal) and "Thunderer" (41cal) were revolvers that worked
    but experience tells us that the unasked question "But for how long?" was actually more important!