MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Colt 1878 DA Revolver 38-40 experience/help

Colt 1878 DA Revolver 38-40 experience/help

Colt 1878 DA Revolver 38-40 experience/help

Have a chance to get a Colt 1878 Frontier DA Revolver in 38-40/38 WCF. DOM 1893. Makes it a BP period/frame. So, some questions...

1) Assume it is recommended to shoot only BP loads?
    2) What about very low pressure smokeless loads?
    3) If BP loads only, any BP load recommendations? I will be casting 180 grn pure lead bullets.

Thanx

Boolit Grand Master
    I have only fired two shoots from an 1878, both were 45 colt smokeless loads from the "start" end of the list.
    Those old Colt DA's tend to break in use, at least my late shooting Buddy's thunderer gave up and broke a spring in less than 300 rounds of BP and BP-equivalent loads. I'd be careful to stick to 12,000 psi or under loads.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

If it was myself, I would find some low pressure smokeless cowboy loads. I am doing that with 700x and firing it in an original 1875 Remington 44-40. I believe the load I found was around 7000 psi. But for most power and pure fun, nothing beats black powder with the proper bullet lube.

Boolit Grand Master

The 1878 is a lot stouter than the Thunderer Lightning guns. The springs are different. The Lightning I do not recommend for shooting at all as fixing the broken springs right costs more than the darn gun. The 1878 is as stout as any SAA and the cylinder is the same. I recommend either B/P or Pyrodex or a mild smokeless cowboy load AFTER the gun is checked and certified a shooter by a good gunsmith. My current load for the 1878 is 5 grains of Trail Boss and a 200 gr bullet.