Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best hideaway gun for bedroom protection

Banned
    Part of any good thread is to let people express themselves even when somewhat off topic comments are made by moderators. Part of the discussion sometimes includes little tid bits of off topic information that does seem from time to time bring forth other pertinent content.

I just finished looking for a DVD that was a commercial product that explained home self defense and unfortunately I cannot find it probably because I loaned it to someone and never got it back. Anyway, the guy explained about different calibers and long guns verses pistols, shotguns and the like. In the DVD that I cannot find or I could reference the makers name and you could go out and purchase a copy or I could have made copies and sent them out.

The DVD mentioned calibers, wall penetration and shooting thru your home and killing your sleeping neighbor in the house next to you. Mentioned in the DVD was that a gun that was long AKA Shotgun, rifle and so forth could easily be rendered useless in your hands if the intruder go close enough to grab it. Rifles and shotguns were a No No in the DVD as were high powered short barrel rifles and or something with a light, strobe, and laser on them simply because that point of light shows the intruder exactly where you are and where to shoot in order to take you out.

The DVD mentioned a pistol with a slower velocity bullet with a larger mass. Why? Probably the ability to knock down and keep the intruder down. Its hard to explain to law inforcement why exactly you spent 15 rounds into the intruder in order to stop them and a lot easier to explain 3 or 4 rounds.

While I cannot prove the existance of the DVD I had so it probably doesn't exist to some so I will recommend that you look into some of the free DVD's out there on protecting yourself in the home.

The above mentioned material is why I will back myself with a 1911 any day as opposed to an AR15 with a light or a tactical shotgun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    6bg6ga - If you "fort up" behind a bed, NOTHING is wrong with looking down the barrel of a 12Ga or rifle at an intruder, so long as overpenetration's not an issue. (Some people live miles from their neighbors, and others have safe backstops before the neighbors' place.) The bed keeps them out of reach of your barrel & you can purely RUIN their WEEK before they can get at you, melee-wise at least.

Agreed on house clearing using a long gun tho, very bad idea; For that matter, if you don't have to clear your house, best to let the pros do it, really. They have dogs and more backup than you or I do... I've taken training in house clearing & so on & even with that, given the option, seems best to stay in a safe spot & wait. If you don't know what you're doing and try house clearing, you can have your handgun taken away from you, we used to demonstrate that in the classes I helped with. (Poor Brett - another assistant instructor - was the 'defender', and got to fly a few feet when I "disarmed" him, I was gentle but effective...)

IMO - Good idea to get hands on training, not all DVDs are made by super knowledgeable folks (can't comment on your DVD as I have zero idea who made it!) Gunsight and many other good schools out there, and education is light to carry with you & helps you live longer I've seen people having problems hitting a target because of pre-ignition syndrome i.e. they shove the weapon away as they jerk the trigger, because they're afraid of the weapon's muzzle blast; Seen people close both eyes, to "protect" them, even with good safety eye wear on, a DVD won't catch what you are doing wrong - but, any competent instructor will. People can self-teach and get it right o'course, just that a good teacher's worth paying

Banned
    I guess if I ever get an intruder I'll ask them to wait a minute so I can move the bed and get behind it because I'm using a 12ga shotgun.

Yup, I've taken the training also and could easily disarm an intruder while breaking a few bones in the process. IMO everyone remotely considering being able to defend themselves should take the course or face the possibility of no matter how small a group they can make at the range being able to properly defend oneself and ones property is a different ball game.

Wish I could find that DVD right now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234