Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best hideaway gun for bedroom protection

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The case I know of, the would-be perp suddenly remembered that they'd left the iron on at home, and proceeded to RACE home to turn it off before there could possibly be a fire

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Not if you teach them RIGHT. I taught my kid right and I had no problem leaving a loaded gun sitting anywhere around the house if I was so inclined.
    My Dad was a 25 year full bird Colonel in the MP's. He had a cocked and locked 45 on him and or the bedside stand every day of his life. We, as kids, knew that if we wanted to meet our maker early, all we had to do was touch the gun.
    If we asked, he would unload it and let us fondle it. He always gave us a safety lesson when we looked at his gun. I grew up with a healthy respect for guns.
    A soldier tried to commit suicide (shot himself in the stomach) and threw his gun out the window into our yard. I was a 9 year old kid and I found the gun, and picked it up. It looked like a cap gun to me and I pointed it up into the tree and pulled the trigger. Of course it went BANG! and scared the daylights out of me.
    That lesson about never pointing a gun at anything you did not intend to shoot, and his lessons about gun safety probably saved me or another kid.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    A 1911 at the ready on the night stand or inside the drawer. My opinion is a shotgun or any rifle is simply to big too bulky to be of any value. I'll take a handgun any day for home defense.

Banned
    Remington TAC14 with light, laser, stuffed with mini buck shells.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    A loaded pump without one in the chamber propped next to the bed is one of the guns I have in my bedroom. The added benefit is that any bad guy will hear the distinctive slide rack when I pick it up and get ready for some fun. I've never had to use it and hope I never do but I think that will be about all it takes for anyone to rethink their choice in profession.
    A modern day LEO will tell you, if they or the bad guy hear a gun being cocked or action racked both will start shooting in the direction of the sound or light. You have given your position away.

Moderator Emeritus

I keep the rifle handy more for varmints, got a call last week from the neighbor across the street that coyotes were going after the horses so I setup in my front porch and waited for him to chase them out into the field. Got 2 of the 4 anyway. Mangy looking, fur was worthless so the neighbor used his tractor to bury them.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    A 1911 at the ready on the night stand or inside the drawer. My opinion is a shotgun or any rifle is simply to big too bulky to be of any value. I'll take a handgun any day for home defense.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I keep the rifle handy more for varmints, got a call last week from the neighbor across the street that coyotes were going after the horses so I setup in my front porch and waited for him to chase them out into the field. Got 2 of the 4 anyway. Mangy looking, fur was worthless so the neighbor used his tractor to bury them.
    That's some good shootin'.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Ruger P90 at the ready in the bedroom with an 870 for backup. Plus a few more scattered in strategic locations!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Moderator Emeritus

Short range, 70 yards with a 223... 55 grain V-max dropped them where they were running. I think they were sick the way they were trying to take on an almost full grown pony. Neighbor said he got the other 2 the next night as they came into town. Explains the 2 shotgun blasts I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    That's some good shootin'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    And this has what to do with my comment on having a 1911 for protection? Did you have a varmint break in? I hope they weren't armed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    And this has what to do with my comment on having a 1911 for protection? Did you have a varmint break in? I hope they weren't armed.
    This is the internet and we're on the 2nd page of this topic. It's going to morph, that's just the way of internet topics. You should be surprised it hasn't morphed into sex or politics by this time.

NavyVet, we can arrange that!

Protecting one's (or a neighbor's) livestock IS a form of self-protection, anyways. Good job on nailing Coyotes there, MaryB

A shotgun's a good answer if you use the bed as cover or at least concealment and fort up there; If you plan to clear your own house, a handgun would be better for almost all of us. Hard for the invader to get a hand on it if you clear the place properly. (Side-step, clearing a new segment, rinse, repeat - NOT hollyweird's putting the gun in front of your face, blinding yourself with it, plus turning your back to the bad guys... That's good for letting the cameras "see your good side" maybe, but do you WANT to face AWAY from a threat? Bleah.)

Also - Just ONE 1911? Huh, I thought "Two is one and one is none" applied here too :P

Just tossing this out for consideration -- I want to hear and be aware of an attempted break-in before I wake up and find them already in the bedroom. Perhaps not so easy, depending upon the structure in which you reside.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    This is the internet and we're on the 2nd page of this topic. It's going to morph, that's just the way of internet topics. You should be surprised it hasn't morphed into sex or politics by this time.

Long rifle or shot gun as opposed to a 1911 = more to grab onto in the event someone is already in the house. Not a real good idea. Now if Coyotes get in your home like Mary then by all means shoot the hell out of your walls with a shotgun or pepper your walls with rapid AR15 fire from your 5.56 or 300 Blackout.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Ruger P90 at the ready in the bedroom with an 870 for backup. Plus a few more scattered in strategic locations!!
    I have a gun in every room.

Banned

12 guage and an ar15 next to the dresser. 1911 on my side of the bed and my wife side has her lc9. COME AND GET IT!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Winchester model 12 riot gun loaded with #4 buck for my house gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    A modern day LEO will tell you, if they or the bad guy hear a gun being cocked or action racked both will start shooting in the direction of the sound or light. You have given your position away.
    I understand what your saying but I don't live in a 40,000sq ft mansion. If someone breaks in while we are here it's a good bet they know where we are anyways. My point is that I want them to know that I am up, awake and ready to go if they want some.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    To All,

Both a 12-gauge riot gun loaded with #1 buckshot by the bed & a P225 Sig-Sauer 9mm on the nightstand.

yours, tex

Der Gebirgsjager, a dog will solve that issue. And be a good companion

I don't have anything HERE that I "have to" protect that's between here and the front door; It's all past me, so I figure call 911 and "fort up" if a break in is occurring; If the police won't respond (they do not have to, contrary to popular belief) then I would decide whether to clear the rest of the house or stay in place. The front door here is fairly heavy metal, of course the window frames are vinyl so I'd expect that might be their point of entry; Warning them off one way or another is a good idea ("Please leave, I don't want to have to shoot you" or the like maybe?)

And we'll all be happy if no self-defense is needed at all, because that's the lowest stress way of us staying alive & well (which is my outcome & - I imagine - Yours as well.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast