RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer pocket swager

Boolit Man

Primer pocket swager

Any recommendations for the easy to use primer pocket swagger to remove crimped primers?
    I know Dillon makes a bench mount unit, rcbs makes a bench mount and dies.
    I have 500 308 to process.
    Thanks
    Mike

Boolit Master
    Both the Dillon and the RCBS bench mounted tools are going to run about $100, The RCBS press mounted tool can be found used for about $20. Over the years I have used the RCBS die set to swage many thousands of military primer pockets. Just ensure that your press is securely bolted to a heavy bench as the force required to bump the brass off of the swaging tool is pretty stout.

If you were planning on doing multiple thousands of military brass I would look into one of the bench mount tools just for the fact that they are faster than the die set. If all you intend to do is a few hundred then the RCBS die set would be a better purchase.

Boolit Master

Depends on how many you need to do and your available space. I use the Dillon Swage 600, but also one that fits my RCBS RockChucker. If you do thousands each year I would go with the Dillon Swage 600; if you are doing a few to couple hundred at a time, then the RCBS Primer Pocket Swaged Combo 2 would be my recommendation.

Attachment 209856

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Primer-P...r+Pocket+Swage
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; I don't have any suggestions for primer pocket swaging but I have processed a few thousand cases with crimped primer pockets. I'm a life long machinist/mechanic and when I first encountered crimped primer pockets I immediately thought of a countersink. I had a few in my toolbox and did a few by hand. Then I chucked one in my hand drill and found it takes less than one second and the crimp's gone. Nuttin' against pocket swagers, I just use a cheaper, easier way that would be/is quite acceptable to anyone with metal working experience. Just FYI...

https://www.mcmaster.com/#countersinks/=1ar8sxu
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    Thanks to all. I have a couple of those counter sinks that I'll try out.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both the Dillon and the RCBS press mounted swagger. The Dillon is faster and does not strain the case rim but it requires different adjustments for different crimps. It really helps to have your brass sorted by head stamp. I find that I use the RCBS tool more because of this. All crimps are not equal and no tool works perfect 100% of the time.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Got the RCBS and CH sets, I like RCBS better. The CH system does leave a “crimp “ type mark on the rim if you get the depth setting wrong. Did 600 LC 13 7.62 cases a while back using the RCBS system,and the suggestion to bolt that press down solid is a valid one! Good luck whatever way you go.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    I like the RCBS primer pocket swagger. I lubricate the primer pocket with Lee Case Sizing Lube to make it easier to "bump" the case off of the swagger "plug".
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

This might not be a option but I tried the Hornady LNL swager and I really enjoy it.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Be careful with a countersink. I got some brass that someone had gone overboard on. Had to scrap it.

MDI, which countersink did u use? What dia? I know the swage is only at the outside top, but what taper to keep off the bottom of the pocket.

I use the one on my RCBS Trim mate. Turn on unit, on hold the primer pocket to the inside case mouth deburing tool count to 4 and done.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I have used the RCBS press mounted tool a lot. Once I did most of a 5 gallon bucket full of 5.56 brass in one day. Bumping the cases off the spud gave me a nasty case of tennis elbow that took most of a year to heal. So alternate arms and don't do more than 50 a day. And rest your elbow 2 to 4 days between lots.
    EDG

I just swaged about 300 223s this afternoon using the RCBS swaging die for use in a press. Once you get into the rhythm, they go pretty fast...
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

CH4D works for me, and my 20 year old Son has not destroyed it, or ruined more than 10 pieces of brass setting it up.

Boolit Master
    I used the RCBS press-mounted setup for a couple of decades, and then bought a Dillon Super Swage. I promptly sold my RCBS tool. Yup, the Dillon needs adjustment when switching between different lots of brass. So did the RCBS. I'd much rather spend a few minutes adjusting the Dillon tool than be beating brass off the swaging stud on the RCBS tool.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pwc View Post
    MDI, which countersink did u use? What dia? I know the swage is only at the outside top, but what taper to keep off the bottom of the pocket.
    I used a 45º counter sink when I did it that way. And yeah, be cautious not to cut too much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    This might not be a option but I tried the Hornady LNL swager and I really enjoy it.
    This is the route I went with for higher volumes. I have the 223 and 308 sets for the LnL AP and I really like it. Stress on the hands is very low and this is important to me.

The RCBS set works well for small batches but the cheapest way is a counter sink.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    I also started out using the RCBS press mount, but now I use the DILLON

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    I just swaged about 300 223s this afternoon using the RCBS swaging die for use in a press. Once you get into the rhythm, they go pretty fast...
    This fast?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast