Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 2f vs 3f for 50 cal

2f vs 3f for 50 cal

Just got a new Lyman deerstalker in 50 cal that I plan to shoot only patched round balls through. The real deal is hard to find here locally so I ended up picking up some FFG equivalent pyrodex RS. I noticed that my Lyman blackpowder handbook gives loads for both 2f and 3f. Any advantages to 3f for a 50 other than slightly higher velocity for equal charges?

Banned
    the Pyrodex P will flow a lot better in the lyman breech plug. I highly suggest ordering a Knight red hot nipple if you use the sub black powder.

Boolit Master
    I much prefer 3F over 2F for any of my 50 cal muzzleloaders. 78 gr is my universal load for PRB for deer or sabot'ed 429 pistol boolits for elk. As far as Pyrodex is concerned, it worked pretty well in a drier climate but up here during our monsoon season (we have gotten 3.8 inches of rain in the last 20 hours and I have hunted in much harder rain) Pyrodex was a disaster. Pyrodex pulls water out of the air even faster than real black powder in this country. Those plastic nipple sleeves that go over the cap then slid down the nipple are great for keeping a real blackpowder charge dry for days even in our rain on the Olympic Peninsula.

Boolit Master

Both will work. I've always used 2F only because I bought 50 lbs of it back in the 90's when you could get cheap.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Go to the range and fire with your best patching and cap selection 10 groups with each. The best group wins. For FFg use about 5 grains more powder depending on your gun. When I worked up my target load for my 50 it only took a month or two.

Another question: If I work up a load with pyrodex and find some real black powder will the accuracy load be the same for each?

Years ago, Pyrodex RS was the only propellant for ML's that I could find locally. While Pyro. presents certain problems, accuracy was not among them. Real BP, either FFFg or FFg, is what I use these days, and truth to tell, I prefer FFFg in my .50cal. (cap lock) -> 20ga. (flintlock) since I don't have to invest in 2 [powder] granulations that way.

Boolit Grand Master

3f will generally burn cleaner but each gun is different so 2f may be better for you but the difference generally is minute. I'd go with 3f. Right now I have both and generally used 2f but that was the old adage that per caliber a certain powder is best but more and more people are finding there is no one best thing. Switching to real BP you may see a slight difference but you can adjust your powder like using slightly less. You also may find a difference between 2 different brand black powders.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    We shoot 3F in all our muzzleloaders to include an caliber 82 flinter. We start with 3F and find the best load and stick to it. Cleaner, never any ignition issues. Big plus most of our muzzle loading is with flinters so we carry one powder. Makes life real simple.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I also use 3F in all my Muzzleloaders. Ignition seems to be more consistent. Also 3F flows out my brass powder horn valve a lot smoother.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not
    "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master
    I use 3f through .54 cal.

Boolit Master

The vent liner lasts longer in my trade guns with ffg as opposed to using fffg. I could get a full season of target shooting from a liner with 2f
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Both Black & its substitutes target equally well. The only noticeably difference between Black and Pyrodex. Black is a bit forgiving when it comes to timely fouled barrel cleaning. Pyrodex isn't.

When you read of some others barrel taking on the appearance of a sewer pipe full of corrosion. Think >Pyrodex being fired and left to rust due to no barrel maintenance.

Quite similar to a lazy fellow who buys a new car and thru his cars life time does absolutely no maintenance. Just drives the vehicle to its demise. No oil changes or body washings.~~~well maybe a wash job occasionally but sparingly.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGA View Post
    Just got a new Lyman deerstalker in 50 cal that I plan to shoot only patched round balls through. The real deal is hard to find here locally so I ended up picking up some FFG equivalent pyrodex RS. I noticed that my Lyman blackpowder handbook gives loads for both 2f and 3f. Any advantages to 3f for a 50 other than slightly higher velocity for equal charges?
    There is a Goex distributor in NC in Mocksville and they will sell to the public. I've bought quite a bit of powder from them over the years.

Parks and Sons
    234 Bingham & Parks Road
    Advance, NC 27006-9415
    Phone: 336-998-8182
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Banned

we're all best served using real black powder in our traditional sidelock muzzleloaders. there is no comparable substitute for the real deal stuff, and is part of the design of these 18th and early 19th century guns (and for all the subsequent cartridge designs prior to the advent of that white devil powder at the turn of the century). it will deliver better ignition (for flintlock guns, bp is Mandatory for the pan), less fouling, easier cleanup, less corrosive than any bp sub. mail ordering bp is the way to go for most of us these dayze, made cheaper in a quantity buy and better yet if done in a group buy. i prefer swiss 3f in all my flintlock muzzleloaders, from .32 to .62, rifled to smooth bore. in a pinch, i'd use OE 3f as well. both exhibit less fouling issues. ymmv, but it honestly shouldn't.

I have that exact rifle! It's a great gun. I prefer 3f because it ignites quite a bit more consistently than 2f.

FFFg (x 10) .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride