Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9

Boolit Buddy

Beretta M9

Just picked up a used one. Full detail strip to deep clean and install new springs. Holy cow this pistol has a lot of parts!

Boolit Master

Funny when I deep clean, it means all plastic is removed and the "Carb Cleaner" comes out.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice M9! I have a 92FS I bought in the early 90s. Accurate, dependable, with a nice smooth double and single action trigger pull. It is a keeper.
    Pistolero49

NRA Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer * GSSF Member
    Good Sam Club Life Member
    Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, Inc.

Boolit Master
    Great pistol, I bought one for my grandson to get familiar with since it was going to be his issue when he deployed. It's a little big, but a solid piece with a good trigger, and it feeds and shoots everything it’s fed, no failures so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Funny when I deep clean, it means all plastic is removed and the "Carb Cleaner" comes out.
    LOL I love to tinker with things. Especially since it’s used and who knows what it’s been through. The extractor practically had 10lbs of grime on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero49 View Post
    Nice M9! I have a 92FS I bought in the early 90s. Accurate, dependable, with a nice smooth double and single action trigger pull. It is a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    Great pistol, I bought one for my grandson to get familiar with since it was going to be his issue when he deployed. It's a little big, but a solid piece with a good trigger, and it feeds and shoots everything it’s fed, no failures so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m with you guys. It’s a little big but it’s a sweet and easy shooter

Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    Holy cow this pistol has a lot of parts!
    Those are nice photos of before and after.
    I have a M96, .40 S&W equivalent (more or less) of yours. I noticed the same thing when taking it down somewhat for routine cleaning. There are a lot of parts, as you so clearly illustrated!
    the good news- It has never failed or given me any problems in several thousands rounds. It has a decent trigger pull for what it is and has good accuracy.

They are big for that little cartridge they shoot but I sure want one. Bill Wilson praised it and Uncle Sam adopted it and that's good enough for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I bought one back in 1993 I just never felt the love for it maybe I'll dig it out again
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Bought a practically new one two years ago! Previous owner had the last 15 rounds of the first 50 round box left in the pistol! Spare mag, crimson trace grips, original grips also, factory box included! One of those” hey ,you know anyone looking for a 9 mm “? kind of things! I wasn’t looking but he said it hadn’t been fired in 25+ years,so that pretty much sealed the deal ! I love it. And you are correct, boy, does it have a lot of pieces! Good looking pistol you got there.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned
    The Beretta 92 series pistols are great pistols. Maybe a little over-engineered by today's standards but excellent pistols and well made.

Yea, there's a lot of parts but Beretta has learned a thing or two over the last 400+ years !! They know how to make all of those parts work together.

The model 92 was more evolutionary than revolutionary. The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther. The design evolved and became double action, the safety moved to the slide, the magazine was enlarged to a double stack design, the magazine release was relocated, a firing pin block was added and about another dozen changes made it into the Model 92.
    They are remarkable pistols.

Boolit Master

Nice example of the model; never loved the ones I had to carry, large,complex,front sight had a habit of falling off,until fixed slide would fall off with a hard downward strike. Held lots of rounds and shot fairly well. Just never rung my bell, even bought one when Uncle Sam let me out, thought maybe I'd grow on me and I was very familiar with the platform and familiarity breeds competency and that can lead to mastery but no just never caught on with me.
    Know other vets who love em. I think I have some 30'round mags still if your interested pm me for a good deal.

The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther.

The thing is copied from the Walther P38, also a sub standard pistol with too many parts.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Good score. Just because the Army doesn't like it don't mean it's a dawg. They shoot quite well and this weekend I was at a gun show and a guy had two huge plastic bags filled with new M9 magazines. With the Army re-equipping with the SIG, now's the time to get one if you're in the market for a 9mm./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    Those are nice photos of before and after.
    I have a M96, .40 S&W equivalent (more or less) of yours. I noticed the same thing when taking it down somewhat for routine cleaning. There are a lot of parts, as you so clearly illustrated!
    the good news- It has never failed or given me any problems in several thousands rounds. It has a decent trigger pull for what it is and has good accuracy.
    That is good news! I expect mine to be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    They are big for that little cartridge they shoot but I sure want one. Bill Wilson praised it and Uncle Sam adopted it and that's good enough for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    And don’t forget Bruce Willis in Die Hard used it!

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I bought one back in 1993 I just never felt the love for it maybe I'll dig it out again
    I don’t know. If you haven’t liked something in 24 years, what’s going to change your mind this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Bought a practically new one two years ago! Previous owner had the last 15 rounds of the first 50 round box left in the pistol! Spare mag, crimson trace grips, original grips also, factory box included! One of those” hey ,you know anyone looking for a 9 mm “? kind of things! I wasn’t looking but he said it hadn’t been fired in 25+ years,so that pretty much sealed the deal ! I love it. And you are correct, boy, does it have a lot of pieces! Good looking pistol you got there.
    That’s always a fun score!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The Beretta 92 series pistols are great pistols. Maybe a little over-engineered by today's standards but excellent pistols and well made.

Yea, there's a lot of parts but Beretta has learned a thing or two over the last 400+ years !! They know how to make all of those parts work together.

The model 92 was more evolutionary than revolutionary. The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther. The design evolved and became double action, the safety moved to the slide, the magazine was enlarged to a double stack design, the magazine release was relocated, a firing pin block was added and about another dozen changes made it into the Model 92.
    They are remarkable pistols.
    Huh, that’s interesting info! That’s for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Nice example of the model; never loved the ones I had to carry, large,complex,front sight had a habit of falling off,until fixed slide would fall off with a hard downward strike. Held lots of rounds and shot fairly well. Just never rung my bell, even bought one when Uncle Sam let me out, thought maybe I'd grow on me and I was very familiar with the platform and familiarity breeds competency and that can lead to mastery but no just never caught on with me.
    Know other vets who love em. I think I have some 30'round mags still if your interested pm me for a good deal.
    LOL the front sight would fall off? How did that lead to the slide falling off? Thanks for the mag offer. But I’m in California where everything is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Good score. Just because the Army doesn't like it don't mean it's a dawg. They shoot quite well and this weekend I was at a gun show and a guy had two huge plastic bags filled with new M9 magazines. With the Army re-equipping with the SIG, now's the time to get one if you're in the market for a 9mm./beagle
    I didn’t even think of that. I imagine those pistols it would be an understatement to say they’re rough around the edges!

Boolit Master
    Ummm, how did you make the front sight fall off the issues M9?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    The basic form dates back to the Beretta Model 1951 and some features like the open top slide go back even farther.

The thing is copied from the Walther P38, also a sub standard pistol with too many parts.
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa....

You don't have to like it if you don't want to.

The barrel to slide locking arrangement is based on the Walter locking block but the open top slide is a Beretta feature that pre-dates the Walther.

Personally, I wouldn't call the Beretta or the Walther a "sub standard pistol".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa....

You don't have to like it if you don't want to.

The barrel to slide locking arrangement is based on the Walter locking block but the open top slide is a Beretta feature that pre-dates the Walther.

Personally, I wouldn't call the Beretta or the Walther a "sub standard pistol".
    Right? Choose to ignore him. Basically as he called my purchase “substandard”

I had one for 2 years and loved it. Sold it because I never shot it. (more rifle shooting than pistol) Now I miss it and think I'll start looking around for another.

Different people evaluate "things" using different standards and sometimes come up with polar opposite views.

When I went down to South America to live, I took a pair of Minolta cameras with me, plus an assortment of lenses. In the Andes and the jungle they quickly developed problems and I had to send them back to the States for repair. I quickly learned they would not stand up to hard use so I bought a pair of Nikon F1s. These were the standard for globe trotting photo-journalists and combat photographers. They never hiccuped once for the years I used them.

About the same time I read Consumer Report on the Nikon and they rated them lowest of all cameras tested.The reason: they were to heavy. Their heavy duty construction which made them reliable was a negative.

When people talk about the Beretta 92/96 series of pistols, folks come up with different notions. In the beginning people love to hate them, because they were the upstarts that replace the 1911A1 and in 9mm no less. I have found them to be reliable accurate pistols that fit my hand better than any other auto-pistol but the Browning HP. I like them allot. The folks that think they are sub-standard are simply using a different check list.

A couple of years back I bought a 96 DAO that was police surplus. I like the 40 S&W caliber and the trigger pull is as easy and smooth as a good Smith and Wesson sixgun.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Looks like the SIG 320 will be in shortly.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast