Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: paper patch template for the 50 cal

paper patch template for the 50 cal

I have a Lee C501-440-RF 500 S&W Magnum bullet mould and some #9 onion paper to mess around with. I was hoping someone could give me the dimensions for the patch or if there is a printable template version that would be even more ideal.

I don't think you will find a ready made template for that bullet. Instead of me explaining how to make one John 242 made a post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-bullet/page3 of a fellow showing how he makes his and it is also how I make mine. You might watch that video.

Thanks! Any tips/tricks you would recommend? Itll be my first attempt at paper patching anything. What is the load you are using?

Yes a tip. Get the proper mould diameter that will wrap the bullet to bore or groove diameter with the paper you have or can get.
    Don't use a groove diameter GG bullet and try wrapping it adding another 8 thousands or more. You might end up with pieces of iron.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Lead Pot on this get the correct size bullet for your paper to get the dia you want when wrapped. At .002 thickness and 2 wraps of the paper your adding .008 to the dia.
    Either get a mould cut to do this or size the bullets down first for it. This gives the bullet you want with a good wrap and not way oversized. A patched bullet at groove dia and patched up another .008 may not chamber easily in your throat or have room to release the bullet, spiking pressures. It would also require a special expander to expand the necks up to accept the bullet.
    To make a template obtain some .060 ( 1/16") - .125 ( 1/8") flat stock in the width desired for the patch.
    Measure from the base up to where you want the patch to end this is the width you want.
    Cut a strip of paper at this width
    Take a bullet and wrap with 3-4 wraps of the paper
    With a razor or exacto knife cut the lower edge 1/8" cut is fine here for now.
    in wrap paper and first notch skip 1 notch and 3 notch so at 1 notch lay out the angled end and at the 3rd notch lay out the matching angled end.
    rubber cement this to the flat stock cut and file ends to paper template -.015-.030
    When figuring width allow for fold over on the base. Some fold with a tail that's twisted. A lot have went to leaving a small circle of lead showing on the base inside the patch fold over. This makes a flatter base. On a 50 caliber bullet center is .250 from edge so add .187 to measured height of patch
    Chances are good you will need to do a little fitting to the template to make it "just right" When wrapped tight you want .015-.030 gap between the ends of the patch. this allows the paper to lay flat with no ridges.

Banned

EVERY bullet type - cast from the same mould with the same lead, whether alloy or pure - that's gonna get a paper skirt, using ONE unique type of paper, needs to have that skirt custom fit. there is no way around that, not ever. do what country gent just typed above and all will be fine. if the bullet is flat based, do not twist a tail to the skirt, just create a patch that'll slightly fold over the bullet's base and will leave at least a third of the base exposed.