RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: ???? about brownings

???? about brownings

I was looking at browning an a- bolt( I think) medallion 375H&H browning rifle, they mention a odd bolt feature, a non rotating bolt housing? whats that about? also are they a controlled eject mauser type claw extractor? if anyone has experience with one, especially in the 375, I would love to hear your thoughts. thanks-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

This is the one I have had for a long time.
    http://www.browning.com/products/fir...unter-fld.html
    Best bolt gun I've ever shot in .270. 1/2 moa @ 300 yds with 130 gr ballistic tip. At 6.9 lbs (rifle only) the .375 might hurt a bit on shooter end.
    Attachment 209859
    October this year, 260 yds
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

The bolt rotates inside the part exposed by the ejection port. It is a multi lug pushfeed with a plunger ejector and a small extractor. I've never owned one and I've never heard a single negative. The Japanese gun companies produce excellent guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My first deer rifle was an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 7mm Remington magnum. Was a tack driver, wonderful rifle.

I bought one the first year they came out, Medallion 7mm Mag. fine accuracy and a fine rifle even with the bowling pin finish.

Banned
    I had an A-Bolt 375 H&H. Wonderful rifle and w/26" bbl 3000 fps with 235 Barnes was no problem.

Now have an X-Bolt 280 AI. Also great, also 26" bbl.

If you plan to used corroded ammo in a rifle with a rusty chamber, then get a CF, claw extractor rifle. Otherwise the Browning will never fail you.

In spite of all the hype, we have yet to see a hunter killed because his push feed rifle failed to feed or extract.

Isn't the bolt housing the piece at the rear of the bolt that holds the firing pin & sear & never rotates on any boltgun ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Isn't the bolt housing the piece at the rear of the bolt that holds the firing pin & sear & never rotates on any boltgun ?

I believe you're talking about the striker shroud like on a 98 Mauser action for an example.

wow, no bad comments, that's good! I guess you make a good point tac14, and no, no dirty or corroded ammo,lol thanks
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Strictly personal preference; I don't care for the short rotational bolt throw. Don't know anything mechanically bad about the breed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I had one in .375. The ejection port was too short at the back end. You had to tuck the loaded ammo backward under the bridge to get them into the magazine. It was ok for most hunting or range use. It would be dicey hunting dangerous game with one. Reloading is not too speedy.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    This article might help explain it. The outer sleeve on the bolt has grooves and lands that match the profile of the locking lugs on the bolt itself and matches the grooves in the receiver too. That helps guide the bolt back and forth so that it operates more smoothly.

ref https://www.gun-tests.com/special_re...l#.Wjz_wyOZOHI

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I am not going to tell you not to buy the rifle. They are high quality, well made and will last most of 3 or 4 lifetimes. My question is this: Unless you are planning an Alaska Big Bear hunt or a trip to Africa,, Why would you want to subject yourself to the BIG recoil of the caliber? I know you can load it down. And you can probably work up some cast loads that will bring it into a reasonable recoil level. Now, it could be such a screamin' deal that you know you can make a few bucks??? But beyond that I can't think of a reason to buy it. You do not live within 700 miles of anything that needs that much punishment (at both ends) to bring it down. (with the possible exception of low flying aircraft.) Everybody has to paddle their own boat so I will retire to the bunker and wait for the incoming.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    'Cause .375's are cool!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The real reason for the non rotating sleeve is so it can be engraved with your name or initials.
    I'm kidding. I think.

Boolit Master
    Why? Just because. I had a friend who considered a .30-06 in the same class as a rimfire. He and his brother rarely hunted but they had their own 1000m firing range. They considered a .460WM just about right and had a .500 Nitro Express that they loved to shoot. Each would fir about 20rds per gun per session and would have 4 or 5 large cal guns at the range each time. No, no .50 BMG. They thought the guns made for it were too heavy so did not recoil near as much as the NE.

Everyone has their reason for a caliber of choice. For many of us hunting is not the reason we shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We have one Browning ! Excellent rifle and it stayes with us.
    My uncle only owned a Browning. Anything else that came along sat in a corner till he could "get rid of it". That is how I got my first center fire lever rifle.
    Why a 375 H&H...Most versatile caliber 375 caliber I can think of. We reload do not we ??? I can go from RB (but why) up to 350 grainers at 850 FPS or paper patched to "bust a hole through any critter on earth" just for fun ! And they are accurate right off cross sticks ! That is how we shoot bigger boomers also. A little practice and I am within 1/4- 1/2" of what a bone buster bench offers.
    Best all purpose caliber 38 we have ever owned ! And we may have them all from 38 Long on up. We have 3 375 H&H's. None are for sale. Two single shots and a bolt. You Sir may be missing out of a lot of fun !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.