Titan ReloadingRepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Just A Little Word Of Warning

Boolit Bub

Just A Little Word Of Warning

Before I start, I'll tell you I'm not one to bad mouth anybody on a forum normally, public or otherwise. That being said, afraid I feel compelled to warn folks away from dealing with a certain person who will remain nameless, but who operates an outfit called JKS Swage.
    I found out much too late that I was dealing with somebody operating under the guise of being a skilled die maker, only to find out later that in reality they were more of what some might term a "hack".
    So...... I purchased some die sets for my Walnut Hill press & was promised everything was ready to go, shipped right away too.
    After many emails & lots of promised delivery dates, various tracking numbers that went nowhere, etc, etc, I finally received some dies that looked good from a distance, but much like a 50 foot paint job, really didn't hold up under anything resembling close scrutiny. First off, I noticed lots of gritty leftovers from the coal slag that was used to blast the outsides of the dies, ugh. What were supposed to pass for threads really aren't, more of a spiralized semi-right triangle shape more or less. Obviously the tool wasn't perpendicular to the work, but hey, what do I know, right? He argued quite a bit that all was well with everything with his work. Even said it was checked with a thread gauge. Hmmm, maybe it was cut with the same setup.........
    Borescope showed pits & voids inside the dies, especially the point up dies. Was told they didn't have to have mirror finishes (like my 22 & 6mm dies do), wasn't important.
    Next phase of the saga:
    Was asked to send everything back & it would be replaced, satisfaction guaranteed, even.
    Months went by with more promises (mildly put), more emails that went unanswered for 6-8 weeks at a time, more excuses, etc, etc. Finally got a package in the mail & hey, some dies!!!
    Cool, right? Wrong. Same stuff I sent back to the guy. Hadn't done a thing to anything. Was still even grit inside a few of them. Got a note that said he didn't care what the dies looked like inside, they made bullets. Kinda strange the sample he sent had been blasted just like the dies.
    This last email from him said he didn't need my derogatory remarks & we were done. Obviously, customer care is #1 in this guy's book. Again, ugh.
    Needless to say, lesson learned, albeit an expensive one. During this long process I learned that most likely this same individual had been previously indicted for fraud at one time, so guess it continues. Still selling stuff on ebay too, though no die sets I've seen lately.
    Moral of the story is deal with very reputable folks (like we have here) & do your homework BEFORE you lay out that hard earned $$$. I know I will in the future.
    Found a thread on this site from ages past that dealt with some shady practices evidently by this same individual. Alas, too late for me.
    A couple pics:

First is the 50ft paint job

Now let's see those "threads"

Last, comparing to an inexpensive Lee die. Gee ma, don't see nuthin' the matter here.........

Wow.....

Boolit Master

That's terrible. BBB perhaps?
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Even my untrained eye can see the flaws there and I don't swage.....expensive lesson
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

This is an all to uncommon story when it comes to swage die makers. I've been reading the almost same story from many members over the years. If the expense of the dies doesn't push people away from swaying. The shady vendors sure do. I know there are reputable vendors. Just seems that there are lots of bad ones as well.

Boolit Grand Master

This forum is a good place to get references to gun-related items as to quality and workmanship. I can personally vouch for BT Sniper. His quality and designs are above reproach.
    Sorry you had such an experience, but thanks for the report.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    I imagine that the cost of good dies makes it attractive to find a less costly source. Until someone gets burned.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I had a problem a long wile back with a feller from michigan that couldn't cut a thread how hard he tried and the inside of the die was shop class 101. I called the bbb, local sheruff and attorny general. Got my cash back, and so did alot of other folks.

Boolit Bub
    Lemme guess, somewhere around mmmmm.............Lake City?

Banned
    those are buttress threads or breach-lock threads. they use something like it in the mauser bolt shroud and some heavy machinery because they will handle a lot higher pressure. if the press threads were the same and if they was oriented correctly then that would actually be stronger than regular threads as there is more thread bearing surface in contact. they would fit a standard thread gauge if they was the correct amount of threads per inch but the pitch is all wrong for standard threads. if the press had the same threads this would be a plus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttress_thread

They DO kinda look like a buttress thread but they aren't. A buttress thread will have a flat side to it. This just looks like the guy's using inserted tooling and he chipped an insert. There's a right nasty burr at the end of the threads there. It's obvious it was cut with something dull.
    If I had to guess, I would say a chipped insert and the guy is too (lazy/incompetent/careless) to do a good QC before shipping. Probably has a nut or threaded something or other to see if it'll thread in. It went in, so he called it good.

Sad really.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    They DO kinda look like a buttress thread but they aren't. A buttress thread will have a flat side to it.
    Agreed, looks somewhat like a buttress but is definitely just a botched thread. Either a bad insert or grinding job on the cutter, or it wasn't on center, hard to say. Poor craftsmanship. Though I do like the mat blasted finish.

Boolit Master
    GONRA hasn't thought about this for decades -
    but those "threads" (Buttress threads by mistake?)
    look just like my screwed up First Attempt at Single Point Threading
    at 14 - 15 years old in High School Machine Shoppe!

Boolit Bub
    Been there, done that, got in a hurry or whatever. Another piece for the scrap pile. If I did run a business, I'll guarantee it would NEVER have been sent out to a customer............especially after being returned once for defects.
    Mark

Wow - thanks for posting the warning
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Be thankful you at least got something for your money. I took a chance on a guy from Michigan Lost my down payment and my 10s 22 die and a 9mm lead die. Provided so they would fit my Walnut Hill. Never again. I will do business with BT Richard Corbin or Dave Corbin or Dr Blackmon. I wish someone ethical and reputble would get into the die business but they dont. I was a machinist/tool n die maker my working career. Just cant justify the cost of a lathe and mill or I would make them myself. Lesson learned.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95