Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shiloh Sharps .45-70

Shiloh Sharps .45-70

I just bought a used Shiloh Sharps "Old Reliable" model in .45-70. This one is old enough that it was made in NY, before they moved to Montana. In any event, I know the currently made guns in that caliber are proofed for smokeless loads. But are the ones made in NY?

I've emailed the company twice but they don't bother to respond. Apparently since I didn't buy from them I'm not important...so my next one is going to be a C. Sharps.

Boolit Master
    Give them time ,there are family issues going on . Go on their forum you will understand /Ed

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mac266 View Post

I've emailed the company twice but they don't bother to respond. Apparently since I didn't buy from them I'm not important...so my next one is going to be a C. Sharps.
    Normally I would agree with that, but, this is a family sized business and something happened.

Edward is right.
    They are a good company and I am sure if you try in a month or so you will get an answer. You can also ask on their forum. Many knowledgeable members there.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    As the others have said, all is not well with the Bryan family at the moment. Cut them just a wee bit of slack. Did you try calling? Besides that the Farmingdale made guns were made by a different owner, in a different place.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Give them time ,there are family issues going on . Go on their forum you will understand /Ed
    The first time I emailed them was in October, before the announcement was made about the family tragedy. So I'd love to cut them some slack, but given the timeline it seems like they are ignoring me.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You did know about the plane crash in September right?
    Did they refuse you're phone call?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    When the Farmingdale rifles were made black powder ammo was not commonly available. Almost all ammo would be factory loaded smokeless. Such ammo is loaded to be safe in trapdoor Springfields.
    If you assume you cannot shoot SAAMI level factory ammo then you must assume your rifle is weaker than a trapdoor and we know that is not true.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Try the telephone. I think their email system is not very reliable. You'll find them very helpful on the phone.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    You might try googling to find the answer to your question on smokeless powder. BTW, the present Shiloh firm has no affiliation other than the name with the old Farmingdale company.