Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: At the range with the comblain

Boolit Master

At the range with the comblain

i have a model1874 brazilian Comblain Cavalry carbine. as a Cartridge collector The Combain Line Is one of The most confusing group. many articles have been written and have added just more confusion. i started using 50/90 and using The Beaumont as a starting Point After making 11x50 beaumont . This cartridge will chamber in the comblain.. then i made the Later 52MM version ,and Found That this would not chamber. . . then I reduced to 51mm. this chamber but was very tight.
    Upon shooting with 18 grains trailboss. I was very surprised with the results The fire forming did not resemble any of the comblains or spec in The books I have . The body too big or the neck is too short.
    the round shot very good @ 50 yard. The primers as you can see was a little mashed up. . I believe this was from the expansion because the chamber was tight flowing Back in the firing pin Hole
    I have posted Photo showing The result
    The Bullet was cast 11mm mauser sized .446. Bullet Diameter are all over the place in articles some .449 .452, 460
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    I acquired a Belgain Comblain a short time ago, The bore slugs at .454, the chamber cast looked odd, I found an article in a British publication that said the chambers were cut so as to better release a paper patched bullet, does that leaves the brass over worked? The person that brought the rifle to me was kind enough to scrape all the wood with a butter knife to make it more presentable, so any collector value is diminished, I'm entertaining the idea of lining the chamber and chambering it in .45 colt . thanks Bill T.

Boolit Master
    After Firing This . I started again to do more Research. . Since all the Comblains were different in my Cartridge Books , i looked Further. On Page 554 of Ken Howell book shows a 11x53 mm rimmed Comblain ( Belgian Govt Model. ). This came from a Kynoch Drawing Dated 1884. This case appears straight and Total length of 50.22 mm. . This sort of put me in That area. I plan On reducing the neck a little more to chamber better.
    you might be correct that the chamber were cut in order to take a variety of Different version. This would make the rifle shoot all the versions
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Buddy
    "The British falling block breech loading rifle from 1865" was the publication that had that info. my chamber cast shows no neck left after firing, it transitions from the shoulder on an angle to the case end, Are these rifles worth anything? Thanks

Boolit Buddy

comblain

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8041.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	121099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8042.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	121100Hope this is useful

Boolit Master
    Worth Is What someone will pay. I sometimes see Them @ the Eastern antique gun shows. In Various range Of Condition Between $500 -$1500. Book value Is Just That BOOK.
    Hop this Helps
    NRA Endowment Member

Great write up. I too have what I believe is a 450 comblain cartridge, however in a small frame martini rifle. Have a look at this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0-Calibre-case

and here at british militaria forums:
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...a#.VFsF-GfMa_I

I now have fireformed, some, will take a picture and post. I too am using Starline 50-90 brass, trimmed roughly with a plumbling tube cutter to length, neck sized in a 577/450 die and loaded with a .454 300grain pure Pb paper patched with 50gram bank. CCI LR primer and 60grains FFg.

Buckshot also has a great thread there about shooting the Comblain, his is a true Comblain action.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...omblain-part-4
    and here (buried in a 577/450 thread):
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ni-Henry/page3
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 11-10-2014 at 03:43 AM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    Since my last attempt awhile ago i again started with the Comblain . One of the above posts stated that the Brazillian may fire several Different versions.
    i started working on that theory. I was able to Pick up 11x53 Belgium Comblain Reloading dies and 11mm Chilian Comblain dies with the help of CH4D
    I proceeded to make a few Belgium cases using a.446 Boolit
    the Chilian cases took a. .460 but used a.458
    the results were well received. all variations chambered well. , all Fired and all shot well @ 50 yards.
    I guess the theory Of Many cartridges firing was a good point.
    As soon as I get some Photo's together . i will post them
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Please review The enclosed photo's . My Comblain is Belgium Made and Belgium proofed.From reading The original Brazillians were made in Belgium. using the 11x51(53 )belgium comblain Cartridge
    The cartridge cases in the second from Left to Right
    Brazillian , Belgium, Chillian. all cases are in original state prior to firing
    sine my original post i am currently Loading with 23 GN AA5744 .
    NRA Endowment Member