RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionGraf & Sons

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CVA Hunter in 44 Magnum

I had a lightbulb moment. What if I am pushing these lee boolits too hard? I still need to try and trap some one of these days, but what if I am just pushing them harder than they can take. I suppose I could try to cast some out of pure lino or something, but the other side of it is to try and slow them down considerably. I'm thinking I will try some loads with Unique and just see how they react.

I did try some loads already with Unique, early on with those softer boolits. But I did not try to actually develop a load with it. I wanted to try and reach a certain velocity, but now I am wondering if that is blinding me to actually trying to develop a load the gun likes. Something to think about for sure.

try unique and 2400. it could be your gun doesn't like like h110/win296.
    Last edited by 500Linebaughbuck; 01-16-2018 at 04:58 PM.

I'm going to suggest that you slow down and make one change at a time...and shoot more than three shots to determine what your gun is doing. One three shot group means absolutely nothing. You change amount of powder, change scope setting and mountings, change bedding, change bullets....all based on one or two 3 shot groups. What are you learning by making multiple changes at once?

I will say that my CVA Scout2 in .44 mag. likes a firm crimp with both WW296 and 2400. It shoots more consistently crimped, as evidenced in chronograph readings and group size, than uncrimped. I have only used 240gr JHP and 235gr. GC cast. Mine is not a MOA rifle...about double that...perhaps a little better with jwords and a little worse with cast, so far. I have not spent a lot of time trying to improve on that. Both of those loads will do what I need them to do...take a deer out to 150 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post
    try unique and 2400. it could be your gun doesn't like like h110.
    It may not with cast, seems to with the jacketed though. It is interesting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I'm going to suggest that you slow down and make one change at a time...and shoot more than three shots to determine what your gun is doing. One three shot group means absolutely nothing. You change amount of powder, change scope setting and mountings, change bedding, change bullets....all based on one or two 3 shot groups. What are you learning by making multiple changes at once?

I will say that my CVA Scout2 in .44 mag. likes a firm crimp with both WW296 and 2400. It shoots more consistently crimped, as evidenced in chronograph readings and group size, than uncrimped. I have only used 240gr JHP and 235gr. GC cast. Mine is not a MOA rifle...about double that...perhaps a little better with jwords and a little worse with cast, so far. I have not spent a lot of time trying to improve on that. Both of those loads will do what I need them to do...take a deer out to 150 yds.
    I have actually been shooting multiple 4 shot groups, just in order to rule out the odd flier. I also have been only changing one thing, then going back out to try loads again. That may be lost in the translation. I do shoot 3 shot groups when I find a load that 'seems' to work though, just to test and see if it was a fluke the first time around.

I also did read up on some of your old posts about your experience with the CVA. It helped me to keep my expectations in check with this gun. In all reality, other than the odd fliers I am getting, it seems that my loads/gun is shooting about as well as any other CVA 44 mag out there.

One thing that I have read, a few different times(from other locations), is how well it responds to the 300gr xtp. I might just break down and buy/try some for experimental sake. I really want to just shoot cast boolits in this thing for hunting. The thing that interests me about that is I can imagine the xtp is not really traveling that fast. I have not found anyone that has measured velocity with it yet with the touted accuracy of it, but I have found where some have shot factory ammo with the 300gr xtp and it seems to be well under 1500fps. One was recording around 1300 fps with factory ammo.

So it did get me to thinking that I may be above the true accuracy node. I have witnessed this before in other smaller bore guns. I have hit a good accuracy node, gone above it with wide groups, then even further with seemingly tighter groups - but not as tight as the lower velocity ones. It deffinetly makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post

i agree with that.

i don't have a 44 mag rifle but i do have a 500 linebaugh rifle. i have to use a heavy crimp on 450gr lfn gc and 16.0gr of hs-6. i used a light crimp and medium crimp but i still got burned powder in my barrel. a heavy crimp resolved that and it shrunk my group(about 1/8" less). i would also go with alliant 2400. it may not beat you up so much, like h110/w296 does. i use my ruger sbh in 44 mag and 2400 just because it does beat me as bad. hs-6 is a good one too. in case you are wondering, i am a sissy when recoil comes around. recoil never bothered me, until i discovered my age. thats the day when my shoulder hurts, my knees hurt and i hurt. but i still love my big bores and downloading, gotta love downloading!!

Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post

So it did get me to thinking that I may be above the true accuracy node. I have witnessed this before in other smaller bore guns. I have hit a good accuracy node, gone above it with wide groups, then even further with seemingly tighter groups - but not as tight as the lower velocity ones. It deffinetly makes me wonder.
    i shoot a tc encore in 444 marlin and a 280gr wfn gc with 25.5gr of 2400 and a tuft of dacron, it will go 3/4"+/- at 100 yards (thank you larry gibson), it will go 1700fps. i've used to use a heavy charge of rel 7 but for some reason i like 2400. the 444 is a far cry from 2300fps to 1700fps.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried the old lever action 'trick' when shooting from bags? Hold the forearm in your hand and rest your hand on the bags. It is a known method for levers, especially those that have the magazine tube under the barrel. Not sure why it works. Less upward pressure on the barrel, damping out barrel/forearm vibrations, ???

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Have you tried the old lever action 'trick' when shooting from bags? Hold the forearm in your hand and rest your hand on the bags. It is a known method for levers, especially those that have the magazine tube under the barrel. Not sure why it works. Less upward pressure on the barrel, damping out barrel/forearm vibrations, ???
    I have not actually. I had thought about putting a soft pillow type thing under it. Maybe a beanie hat or something. I might just have to try the hand thing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234