Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger No. 1 7.62x39

Boolit Master

Ruger No. 1 7.62x39

I just ordered one, should arrive next week. I'm curious if anyone has one and has any feedback they would like to share.
    Thanks,
    Jeff Michel
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    No but it should be an interesting rifle to work with.
    Good Luck..I have no experience with the 7.62X39

Boolit Grand Master

Just got one in yesterday for a friend and it's a swell looking rifle. We are casting up bullets for it today.

Boolit Master
    A friend has one of the stainless/laminated ones. It has the correct bore . A lot of fun to shoot. He was wanting to sell it, till he tried shooting it. I settled for a MGM Contender barrel. A very versatile cartridge.
    So far I believe the heaviest boolit I have used is 173gr. Have a 230gr I want to try, but not enough throat.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Is this a 2015 chambering? By correct dimensions do you mean .311?

Is this a lipsey's offering or a general factory chambering?

This chambering in a #1 would be a fine deer rifle about here.

Boolit Master
    It was a Lipseys. It is a .310 or .311. I slugged it for him and can't remember. It is a carbine type. Short and handy. Good looking too.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

LIPSEY'S says it's .311
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    If it doesn't shoot great to start with. Do Not free float the forearm.
    The #1 needs fore end tip pressure to shoot.
    I believe your rifle will shoot well, but will require some load development.
    Once you find the right load , I think you will be amazed at what it will do.
    The 7.62X39 should be great with cast bullets..

Wish I had my same rifle in .308 win.
    It would make life easier, but I grew up shooting an 06.. It was my rifle of choice for a period of time..

It is only natural that I have another 06 , and especially the #1.

My old shooting buddy had a #1 in .22 Hornet . he tried everything to get the rifle to shoot to his satisfaction(under an inch).
    I gave him a pound of Lil Gun and the problem was solved.

In my experience the #1 will not shoot well with many loads, but once you find the right load ..It will shoot ..,however; well is a relative term..
    Just depends on what you go into the game expecting.

My .45/70 and .405 win like Rel 7 , My Ruger .204 likes IMR3031, and my new 06 seems to like IMR 4831..

That may be all those rifles will shoot with under and inch at 100 yds.

But if they shoot that consistently,
    then I am happy.

For that matter my Sako .22PPC only shoots a few loads well...But it shoots them well...

Every #1 I shoot, I consider to be a challenge.
    The new rifles are great my friend.. The barrels are really good on these new rifles.
    Last edited by Clay M; 10-09-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    Try the ctl-313-150 RF RD from NOE.

The first load I tried with it in my M85 Zastava went into 1-1/4 inch at 100. If your Ruger is built to CIP specs it will shoot this boolit well as the boolit is designed to fit the CIP-spec chamber.

Boolit Master

Well, I picked it up today. Slapped a Redfield 3x9 on it and ran a box of American eagle FMJ through it. Quite pleased, it ran around .75 for five shots at 50 yards. It will make a fine winter project, got a wheel barrow of different powders and a bunch of different moulds to pass the time.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I believe it will be a fine rifle with cast bullets..
    Wish I had one to work with.
    I believe the 06 will be a nice challenge..
    Wish the rifle had just a bit more throat for cast bullets..
    but I will make it work..
    If it wasn't a challenge, then it probably wouldn't interest me.
    Last edited by Clay M; 10-09-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm considering getting one of these...one thing sort of bothers me--in Lipsey's description they say the Bore is .311---that would be huge---maybe what they mean is that the groove dia is .311--I may just go ahead and order one anyway but I'll try to confirm that the rifle is built to the CIP specifications first.

Boolit Master
    I would think that they mean the groove diameter. I find a lot of people use bore when they mean groove. Like magazine and clip.
    swamp

Boolit Master
    Thanks--that's what I thought. Mine should be here Friday.

There are 14 left in stock.

Boolit Master
    Resurrecting this thread ,,, cause I just found one of these. Does anyone have any real world feedback ?
    The rifle I am buying has never seen a jacketed bullet and probably won't during my custody. I have the NOE 312160 Ed Harris design for this cartridge.
    Anyway kinda tickled with my find and saw this thread in googlin.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    As the owner of 17 No.1s, I am amazed at the foolishness Ruger is putting out these days. Not only has the quality (especially the wood) gone off a cliff but the chamberings ...... They make a 45-70, why a 450 BM ? They make a 308 win, why a 7.62x39 ?

Chamberings that would make sense for a single shot hunting rifle are ignored or stuffed in the wrong configuration.

The new Noslers would make sense, the 35W and 9.3s in B or RSI models with sights would make sense, the 450-400 should have been a Tropical, and then there is the business of making a 7x57 and stamping it 275 Rigby .... Barnum must be laughing somewhere.

I'm converting a 458 winmag Tropical to a 6.5-300 Weatherby. That makes sense as the extractor is there, the AH fore end has a big channel and best, I can put a 30" bbl on it and be no longer than a Weatherby bolt rifle with a 26" bbl. 50"/inch is well worth it.

(my 30" highwall 25-06 gets 4000 fps w/80 gr TSXs.)

Back when Bill was around Ruger did chamber in 257/270/7mm and 300 Weatherby. "Made sense".

Boolit Buddy

I been wanting another # 1 , the one I have now is a 223 , had it since 77 or 78 , wouldnt take for it , but a 7.62 x39 might be the ticket
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    To each their own I guess, I personally couldnt care less for any of the high intensity rounds. I've been watching for a donor action to set up in 32-20 30-30 or 35-30 for years. This will satisfy for now. I am not impressed with the wood or fit of the wood, I can fix the fit.... but the wood quality falls far below my 70s vintage 243 ( wish I'd not traded it)
    Mainly looking forward to an overgrown 22 for woods roaming makes sense to me.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    Buy a #3 in 22 Hornet, they like cast.

These oughta be great slow boolit small game guns, the modern day rook rifle.
    Wish I'd snagged one of the offshore single shots when they appeared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast