RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Lever Action Help

Boolit Man

357 Lever Action Help

I have been wanting a lever action 357 for sometime now and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger! I'm looking at guns in the lower end of the price range mainly because I don't want to spend a bunch of money and feel I have to baby the gun to keep from getting dings on it. I want something I won't feel hesitant to get out in the woods and use. As you would guess I have narrowed it down to the Marlin and Henry (steel version) but the Rossi is still a possibility. I'm really leaning toward the Henry because of the magazine design. I know it is not traditional but it sure seems a lot more functional to me.

Does anyone have words of wisdom that would help me make a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by ddcrawford View Post
    I have been wanting a lever action 357 for sometime now and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger! I'm looking at guns in the lower end of the price range mainly because I don't want to spend a bunch of money and feel I have to baby the gun to keep from getting dings on it. I want something I won't feel hesitant to get out in the woods and use. As you would guess I have narrowed it down to the Marlin and Henry (steel version) but the Rossi is still a possibility. I'm really leaning toward the Henry because of the magazine design. I know it is not traditional but it sure seems a lot more functional to me.

Does anyone have words of wisdom that would help me make a decision?
    The Henry isn't a bad choice particularly in .357. I've not heard anything good about the 1894s produced since Remington took over Marlin and moved production to New York. A pre Remington (jm stamped) 1894 in .357 made in the original New Haven factory will run you $1000+. Not exactly knocking around the woods kind if money.

I'm a Marlin addict myself and IMHO the pre Remington Marlin rifles are the best particularly the the pistol caliber 1894s. They are built like brick out houses and shoot like a dream and I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.

That being said, Henry's are very good rifles. They are built well, actions are smooth as glass and they handle well. No loading gate, so what... There are times when a loading gate is royal pain.

Get the Henry, for the money you can't do better for a knock around rifle.

They've really grown on me over the last few years. I see a Big Boy Brass Carbine in my near future for sure.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have an older Rossi, changed some springs, and smoothed up the internals, made it a great shooter for .38 and .357. Very accurate. Would prefer a M92, but for the price it is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

I have a Rossi 92 and I am happy with it for all i want to do with it.The price is good and for what you want to do it .you will be ok for how i see it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I have 2 of the Rossi 92 .357s, one 16" and a 20". Both have scout scopes. Both like the Lee 125 and 158 grain boolits, and the 6 cavity molds really yield lots of nice projectiles. I use Ranch Dog's method of dipping them in LLA (45-45-10) and they leave easy to clean bores. GF

I am also a Marlin nut, my favorite 357 in the safe is the Henry BBS. Just sold one of the Marlins as I prefer the Henry hands down.

Boolit Master
    I have the Henry Big Boy in brass-- shoots great. It regularly hits 3" targets at 100 yards, using a Skinner peep sight and Lyman globe front sight. I had to smooth down the tang where the magazine opens and closes (was a little too hard to open from the factory). I highly recommend the Henry.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you shop around you can get a Henry for not much more than a Remlin. Henry's customer service is outstanding should you ever need it. I have a 1982 1894C, it was the first gun I ever put my name on the yellow form for at the age of 19. Cost me all of $250.00 in probably 95% condition back in 1998 when nobody wanted lever actions. I love that little carbine and will never get rid of it, but I also wouldn't spend $1000.00 for one, or even $650.00 for that matter. I think the Henry is a better choice in pretty much every regard.

As far as Rossi goes, the guns can be nice but there is no telling whether Rossi itself will continue to exist. They have dropped alot of products recently, I think none of the .357 lever actions are still in production. I sure wouldn't buy one without looking at it first, and there is no way I would pay close to even Remlin price for it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

The only real down side to the Henry is the weight. The Henry steel frame round barrel is a pound heavier than a comparable Rossi 92. I own 2 Rossi's and both have been trouble free and accurate. I won a Henry steel frame in a gun raffle and I gave it a good work out but sold it due to the weight issue. If the weight does not bother you it's hard to go wrong with the Henry and Henry customer service.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

From what I know of that Rossi stop maken the 16" . But still make the 20" .I seen it wrote some place not long ago.

I believe Rossi is only making 45 colts unless they started production again. I would love a 16” SS 357 mag.

Boolit Bub

I would go with a Rossi if lower end but still reliable is your target. I had one and after a little filing on the internals, it was a nice and smooth action, trouble free and would feed and fire any 38/357 I put in it.

Marlin isn't making the 1894 in .357, although they've "promised" to bring them back. Nobody's holding their breath.

Rossi - who knows WTH Rossi is doing. New rifles of any kind have not been delivered in a loooong time. Word is, they've been revamping the factory, or their processes, something mysterious and secret. Supposedly, new Rossi leverguns WILL be seen again. Supposedly. Meanwhile, used ones sell like hotcakes.

So, Henry currently has the advantage in the .357 levergun market.

Boolit Man
    Thanks to everyone for all this great information!

I'm on the group buy list for the MiHec Aluminum 8 Cavity 358429 Keith SWC. I'm hoping this will pair well with whichever of these I end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I believe Rossi is only making 45 colts unless they started production again. I would love a 16” SS 357 mag.
    I just check Rossi site and you are right they are only have the 45 Colts R92 ,

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've got one Marlin I like and still use on the range quite a bit , it sees a lot of .38 ammo I don't remember the exact year this one was made but it's safe to say the seventies . Quality is good and I'm thankful for that because the last time I needed to use Marlins customer service in the nineties they were almost as helpful to me as Genghis Kahn was to Asia . Never bought a rifle from them since .

I have handled a couple of Henry rifles and added a scope mount to one for a friend . Quality looked very good , I don't recall if I got a chance to shoot it or not . They looked nice enough that I'm waiting to handle one of their new single shot rifle when I see one in the stores . I'd love to see one in .357 magnum .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Marlin made the 357 from 1979 to 1984 in the 1894C and 1985 to date as the 1894 CS, according to my books.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That narrows it down for me , this one is a "C" version , thanks !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As I remember, the standard .357 carbine was named the 1894C in catalogs from the late 90's and 2000's.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    My Henry BB carbine is an absolute tack driver. I can put rounds on target off hand at 50 yards as fast as I can run the lever. Groups of 5" or less is the norm under those conditions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast