WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Range Story of Stupidity

The world is full of idiots.
    They needed the butt chewing you gave and probably more.
    If they’re the only one who could potentially get hurt I wouldn’t have a problem with other people’s stupidity but they inevitably get other people hurt and that’s unforgivable.

There’s no such thing as an accident. Everything like this happens because of human error and negligence. Some of which is malicious some not. Neither are an excuse.
    There’s not a single gun related injury that’s not 100% preventable. No different that DUI’s or STD’s.

Play dumb games. Win dumb prizes. The worst part is innocent bystanders getting a free door prize because some other idiots mistake.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=GEOMETRIC;4236153]fatelk,
    I The customs agent didn't charge me anything as he claimed my shells were worthless because they were reloads. QUOTE]

Really he is right reloads are commercially worth **** unless loaded by a licensed manufacturer. He did you a good one and yet you?????

Several decades ago I watched a guy run a whole En Block clip of 8x57 through a National Match Garand,
    The rifle seemed none the worse for the experience.

Somewhere I still have the funny looking Brass that Resulted, they were "fireformed into 30-06 cases with odd looking short necks.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    The one that worries me a bit is accidentally putting a 300 Blackout in a 5.56 rifle. Now that I have each and they take the same magazines I’m especially cautious.

The profile of the bullets I use in the .300 is such that they won’t actually chamber in the 5.56 but I still worry.
    I used to have a pic I found on the net of a sectioned barrel that had 300 BLK fired in a .223/5.56 barrel. Bullet had been extruded out about three inches long ,,,,,,

Found it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	210223
    Last edited by Hamish; 12-25-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I used to have a pic I found on the net of a sectioned barrel that had 300 BLK fired in a .223/5.56 barrel. Bullet had been extruded out about three inches long ,,,,,,

Found it:

Thank God that was a very heavy duty barrel.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I am not sure what you are getting at with your comment. The commercial value is irrelevant as well as how they got loaded. I took them to Canada to shoot, not to sell. As far as value is concerned, the shot in the hulls alone was worth over $3 a shell. What my reloads are worth to someone else is not my problem. As I recall, their import tax on hunting ammo., to be used for hunting in Canada is not based on retail value. You get so many shells free & over your quota is taxed. I don't know why he didn't charge me but my best guess is he didn't know what to do in the situation so he just let me in for free. Thank you Mr. Canadian border agent!
    We met a group on the way out that didn't fare so well. The border agents were checking the ducks they killed to be sure they were in compliance with the law. These characters got the bright idea they cold stuff an extra duck in the body cavity of another so it would appear that two ducks were one & they could kill two limits.
    Well, as you might have guessed, these characters could still be in a Canadian prison. It is always a good idea to obey the law, especially in another country.
    Last edited by GEOMETRIC; 12-25-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    Good call but Im really doubtful that the creedmore would fire in the 308 as it looks like that the shoulder would be pushed in too far allowing the primer or head of the case to even go up in the bolt head. I would have to try one im my 308 just to find out , and even if it did for I dought that any harm would be done other that the bullet would just fly off into knowhere. But that was a goodcall I will try it and let everyone know , Im not sceared LOL, might me stupid but not sceared LOL
    As far as the 6.5 in 308 chamber not being able to fire, take a look at the shoulder diameter. The 6.5 is 0.008" larger at the shoulder, so there would be plenty of resistance to keep the case against the bolt face to fire the cartridge.

Boolit Master

Not to mention the extractor holding the cast against the bolt face. I say it will fire. Almost with 100% certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Not to mention the extractor holding the cast against the bolt face. I say it will fire. Almost with 100% certainty.
    LOL, I promise it will fire as I saw it happen first hand.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    The one that worries me a bit is accidentally putting a 300 Blackout in a 5.56 rifle....

The profile of the bullets I use in the .300 is such that they won’t actually chamber in the 5.56 but I still worry.
    Just as long as there is sufficient neck tension.
    Somewhere on the web are pictures of a sectioned .223 AR barrel with a severely resized/elongated 30 Cal projectile that made it several inches down the barrel.
    Best guess is that the .30 projectile got shoved back into the case during chambering.

So it is worth worrying about because it can happen.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post

Found it:

At first I wondered where all the gas pressure went, then I saw the case head! I wouldn't have wanted to be behind that!
    Thanks for the pic, I'm in the process of building a .300 BO and already have a couple .223. Your pic will be remembered VIVIDLY!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

I had a similar mishap once with a friend. Despite my best efforts to keep things for the .400 Cor-Bon and the .45acp 1911's separate, somehow he still grabbed a mag full of .400's for my .45 gun.

Instead of a bang, he got a soft bloop, and the bullet fell to the ground about 10 yards downrange.

It fire formed back out to .45acp. I tossed that case just to be safe instead of necking it back down again.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was at the range one time and a guy there couldn't get his gun to shoot and asked him what was wrong. He was trying to shoot .223's in a .308. Told him that wouldn't work. He said he wanted less recoil so was trying a smaller cartrage.

P.S. It worked it had no recoil !

Boolit Master

IMHO range officers should have a clue and knowledge.

Showing why there was a problem would be way more educating to the shooters and would not have led to this post Bashing them to the net. Again IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    IMHO range officers should have a clue and knowledge.

Showing why there was a problem would be way more educating to the shooters and would not have led to this post Bashing them to the net. Again IMHO
    Who bashed them to the net? Yes, they needed an educational butt chewing and I gave them that. Mistakes can lead to severe coincidences on a shooting bench.
    Who are you to tell me what I should or should not do as a RO?
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    At first I wondered where all the gas pressure went, then I saw the case head! I wouldn't have wanted to be behind that!
    Thanks for the pic, I'm in the process of building a .300 BO and already have a couple .223. Your pic will be remembered VIVIDLY!
    EVERY AR gets "300 BLK" or ".223/5.56" in about one inch tall letters on both sides of the upper with a white paint pen in my house,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I'm SOOOOOOOO glad I have my own range.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    Who bashed them to the net? Yes, they needed an educational butt chewing and I gave them that. Mistakes can lead to severe coincidences on a shooting bench.
    Who are you to tell me what I should or should not do as a RO?
    Uh That would be YOU. Read your own original post.

I Stated my opinion that is my right here. To Bad you do not like it.

In the club I have been an officer in you would have been talked about your response.
    Power trips are not needed to educate.

Have a nice New Year.

In Remembrance
    That might be the difference between Texas and NH, shoot they are lucky they didn't get knots around the head and shoulder area. lol

Boolit Master
    This could be a matter of interpretation. There are polite butt chewings and rude ones. It could have been either one. Also when u do something dangerous, a firm chewing is in order so they see the gravity of what they did. If u are handling a gun, u shouldn't be a pansy.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast