RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Another Range Story of Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    EVERY AR gets "300 BLK" or ".223/5.56" in about one inch tall letters on both sides of the upper with a white paint pen in my house,,,,,,
    **** good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I'm SOOOOOOOO glad I have my own range.
    Meeeee toooo!

I 've never been a RO but if I was the butt chewing would be in direct proportion to the shooter's attitude. The OP did the right thing. It amazes me how people can't be bothered to read that writing on the barrel that states the cartridge the gun is chambered for. Give me an inexperienced shooter willing to learn over a know it all anytime.
    Unrelated but years ago I went pheasant hunting with a co-worker and his older retired father. No one wanted to hunt next to this man because he knew everything and you knew nothing. So I did as I can ignore annoying things. However the second time his muzzle crossed my person I grabbed the barrel and politely offered to place it where the Kansas sun didn't shine. Did I go overboard? Maybe- but the hunt was incident free after that and he and I get along great now. His son pulled me aside and thanked me!

Boolit Master

I 've never been a RO but if I was the butt chewing would be in direct proportion to the shooter's attitude.
    Proportionate to attitude and level of unsafe behavior, I agree! Some things can be ignored but others have to be addressed immediately and sternly. A friend was telling me about shooting with some friends a few years ago, and one lady kept having her hand bit by the slide of her 9mm because her grip was wrong.

She turned and asked why it kept hurting her. As she turned she swept everyone with the loaded, chambered, cocked pistol, finger on the trigger. He calmly but loudly and sternly told her to point the gun away and put it down. He then took over as a very stern RO for the day.

He didn't ask nicely but wasn't a rude jerk either. Knowing him, had he gotten any attitude in response he'd have probably gotten rude about it, as appropriate for such a major safety violation.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I've had a few stones thrown at me from my opening post to this thread. Still some who have posted in this thread don't seem to understand how a mistake can lead to disastrous results. Again, my butt chewing was not severe. The gentlemen seemed appreciative of their educational gnawing.

Well, time for more stones.
    A few weeks ago, I was RO again at the same range, our bench rest range. Range rules are when the range is called cold, all rifles have to be unloaded and stood in the vertical gun racks behind the benches with actions open.
    I had called the range cold and was walking the line inspecting before I allowed people to go downrange and put up or take down targets. One guy still had his rifle in the bench rest. I asked him to move it to the rack behind him. He argued with me that the bolt was open so he didn't see any harm.
    I explained that our rules required it and until the rifle was properly stored, I would not let people down range. I could tell that he was not pleased with me but rules and safety apply.
    Another thing, I don't allow people to tinker with their rifles when people are down range.

Let the rocks fly.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Shouldn't be any arguing over that,,,,,,,

We're a tad more relaxed in that actions are open and you will not "tinker" until the range is declared hot again.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I have no problem with that. If those are the rules at your range, they should be followed. We have the same rule at our range.

I hope you didn't see my earlier comments as stone throwing. An attitude-appropriate butt chewing is called for sometimes. I've been chewed out many times in my life, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. There have been times that a butt-chewing has certainly changed my perspective on things.

The ironic thing about the incident I referenced in my post on page one, where a guy went full "drill sergeant" on my friend for handling a handgun during a cold range, was that as I was leaving a little later the same guy was bore-sighting his rifle with people downrange setting targets!

I didn't say anything. I probably should have, but honestly the way he chewed out my friend told me he was not someone to be reasoned with, very much type-A and full of himself. Considering that the others at the range seemed to be OK with it, and the bolt was removed from his rifle as he was bore sighting, I left it alone and just left.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Shouldn't be any arguing over that,,,,,,,

We're a tad more relaxed in that actions are open and you will not "tinker" until the range is declared hot again.
    Agreed, last thing I want to hear while downrange on a cold range is someone "tinkering". Actions open & unloaded. Take a step back and take a break if not going down range. I'd prefer that folks refrain from loading detached mags during a cold range but that can be a hard sell. I get nervous with any metallic sound while downrange. I recently had another member's guest get a bit offended when I told him to put his rifle down while he was handling it during a cold range. I wasn't rude or abusive, just direct. Some folks are too easily offended, but that's a subject in itself. Safety first.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats is the reason i dont have a 6mmx223 because i can see that disaster coming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171219_150256475.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	210866

Yep, or more of a permanent solution that stands out.

Boolit Master

^^^^^THE chambering of the 300BO in a 5.56 is a good reason for Bill Wilsons 7.62x40.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 01-02-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I've had a few stones thrown at me from my opening post to this thread. Still some who have posted in this thread don't seem to understand how a mistake can lead to disastrous results. Again, my butt chewing was not severe. The gentlemen seemed appreciative of their educational gnawing.

A few weeks ago, I was RO again at the same range, our bench rest range. Range rules are when the range is called cold, all rifles have to be unloaded and stood in the vertical gun racks behind the benches with actions open.
    I had called the range cold and was walking the line inspecting before I allowed people to go downrange and put up or take down targets. One guy still had his rifle in the bench rest. I asked him to move it to the rack behind him. He argued with me that the bolt was open so he didn't see any harm.
    I explained that our rules required it and until the rifle was properly stored, I would not let people down range. I could tell that he was not pleased with me but rules and safety apply.
    Another thing, I don't allow people to tinker with their rifles when people are down range.

Let the rocks fly.
    If those are you range rules, I'm sure the guy had to read and understand and sign something saying so before he used the range. That being the case, he had no argument about it.

The public range I shoot on sometimes requires actions to be open and a bright yellow plastic "flag" to be in the action showing it's open. Everybody has to stand behind a line away from benches while anybody is down range. I think the "hands off all firearms while anybody is down range" is pretty universal.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post

Let the rocks fly.
    The only reason I might possibly disagree would be your decision to leave. You were right and your rules should have been fair.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Again, my butt chewing was not severe. The gentlemen seemed appreciative of their educational gnawing.
    This is a sign of maturity, being able to man up and take a chewing out. they'll probably remember that for a long time; you might have saved someone from some serious troubles down the road.

I had a co-worker get on me pretty good a year or two ago about something. About halfway through his butt-chewing as I was getting pretty offended by his tone, I realized that he was right about what I should be doing different. A few minutes after he was done he realized that he had taken it a little too far, and started to apologize. I stopped him and said no, you were right. I thanked him for changing my perspective. I kind of needed it to be said the way he did even if it did offend me, but I did appreciate the fact that he apologized afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I 've never been a RO but if I was the butt chewing would be in direct proportion to the shooter's attitude. The OP did the right thing. It amazes me how people can't be bothered to read that writing on the barrel that states the cartridge the gun is chambered for. Give me an inexperienced shooter willing to learn over a know it all anytime.
    Unrelated but years ago I went pheasant hunting with a co-worker and his older retired father. No one wanted to hunt next to this man because he knew everything and you knew nothing. So I did as I can ignore annoying things. However the second time his muzzle crossed my person I grabbed the barrel and politely offered to place it where the Kansas sun didn't shine. Did I go overboard? Maybe- but the hunt was incident free after that and he and I get along great now. His son pulled me aside and thanked me!

I made one attempt at teaching the MIL to shoot. She's kept a pistol under her pillow for years (divorced, so living alone) and obviously she knows we shoot a bit from time to time, so she asked me if we could shoot, so she could learn 'better' than what she was taught before. The first time she swept me and the wife with a hot pistol, she was rather sternly corrected. The second time, less than a full magazine later....when she swept me, the wife, my truck and my house where my children were inside, we were done. Afterwards, I very, very politely counseled her to get professional training, in a one-on-one environment if she could. The risk assessment was pretty cut and dry on that one.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

I did not have a problem with your first post, having interpreted your butt chewing to be a stern discussion. Since the gentleman was receptive I'm not sure exactly why you left the range?

I also thought your second encounter was justified. Rules are rules and are for everyone. They are often more strict at bench rest ranges due to the fact that many of those rifles have very light triggers and no safeties. Not that a safety should be relied on, of course!

Back on the crossing cartridges and ammo in the estate. I only use military head stamp 30-06 brass that has NO caliber stated to reform to 8mm and do not currently own a 30-06. Cases are in labeled bins, inside the bins are labeled zip lock baggies. The loaded rounds go in labeled boxes. If one looking at a head stamp that reads LC 75 and decides that means 30-06 despite the labels on the containers I'm going to figure it isn't family because we killed and ate the really stupid family members before the grew old enough to be tough and stringy.

My will leaves specific firearms to individuals and the corresponding ammo, cases, bullets and molds. The presses stay here. As they are all family if my wife is still alive they can if they wish come here to use the loading bench or not reload or not use ammo I loaded as they wish. But since they shoot my reloads now I can't imagine why they wouldn't later. I guess if any of them decided to sell the gun and ammo the buyer might be skeptical of the loaded rounds. I'm guessing the "pretty" PC rounds would get the strangest looks.

I have had more than one deserved butt chewing. So I try to make it a point to consider dispassionately the merits of the speakers case. Then decide if they should be thanked, ignored or told why they are incorrect, or just agreed with for the sake of office politics. The later case seems like they tend to involve repeat offender blow hards so nodding and saying good point, I'll consider that etc. is understood by co-workers to be the equivalent of flipping them the bird only they be too clueless to understand.

My boss at one point said I take you to planning meetings because you will tell someone point blank they are wrong or mistaken in the approach they are advocating. Followed by why. If you are too blunt I'll pretty it up with some nice words. I guess if I figure that is appropriate about things that just cost money I can't say there is anything wrong with a RO that is at least willing to get very blunt when it is warranted about stuff that can kill or maim. I will say old machinists and factory rats can be darn hard on an idiot that leaves a key in a drill chuck.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345