Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder selection vs barrel length ?

Boolit Master

Powder selection vs barrel length ?

I am shooting a C. Sharps 1874 with a 34 inch badger 18 twist barrel ,the load is 77grain OE 2F behind a PP BACO 443530E .The question is with this barrel length does 1 1/2 F have an advantage ? Thanks Ed

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Probably not, but you won't know for sure until you try it out.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Probably not, but you won't know for sure until you try it out.
    Thanks ,I guess I was hoping to get some insight on burn rates in barrel lengths before investing a lot (to me) money in bulk buying as I buy from Powder Inc as there are no suppliers local . Guess I will save up for the spring /Thanks anyway Ed

What cartridge are you shooting? That's more of a factor than the barrel length.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    What cartridge are you shooting? That's more of a factor than the barrel length.
    45/70 and as I posted P.P BACO
    443530E/starline brass/ CCI LRP the load 77gr OE 2F /comp .328/1 card 20 thou/1 lube wad 20 thou/1 60 thou poly wad /2 wraps 9 lb after that I loose track

Unless you're trying to use this for a hunting load, scrap the lube wad, and go with either just the poly wad,or a .060 fiber wad, and up the powder charge to replace the rest of the stuff you're now putting under the bullet. Wipe between shots.
    In the 44-77 and 45-70 either 2f or 1 1/2 works well. In the 45-90 and the 40-70 I prefer 1 1/2.
    If you're not already , try RP 9 1/2 primers with the OE powder.

Boolit Grand Master

I get about the same results with 1 1/2 or 2f accuracy wise/but the charges are slightly different between the 2. I find fouling with the 1 1/2 f slightly easier to control. I use Remington primers in y BP loads also. My gun is a pedersoli 74 Sharps long range with the 34" barrel. I also have a brochardt with a 32" barrel. velocities between the 2 different barrel length arnt far apart with the same load/ I also agree with Don the my 45-90 prefers 1F or 1 1/2F over 2f. I believe different brands of powder will show more variation than granulation size.

Boolit Master
    I am grateful for the advice needless to say I do not know much just learning

Edward, glad to help. You'll learn a lot from good ol range time.

Banned

with a BACO .443 ppb and typical 9# paper you've got a good bore rider. and as don advises, do lose the lube cookie for target work, and pack in a good 80 grains or more (by weight) of a good 1-1/2f such as swiss or OE with a single wad. yer wrapping slightly over the bullet base and not twist tailing it, right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    with a BACO .443 ppb and typical 9# paper you've got a good bore rider. and as don advises, do lose the lube cookie for target work, and pack in a good 80 grains or more (by weight) of a good 1-1/2f such as swiss or OE with a single wad. yer wrapping slightly over the bullet base and not twist tailing it, right?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]210356Attachment 210357 Pretty much what you said the only thing I do different is 77grain OE2F and chrono says speed is right on @ 1240-1260 FPS . I was under the impression that was the goal ,so what is the advantage of 80 grains of
    1 1/2 ? Or is additional powder to make up difference between 1 1/2 and 2 F granulation ? The lube wad eliminated the last 4-5 inch of crud ring at the end of that 34 inch barrel felt when wiping between shots ,felt with no lube wad . Still learning /Ed , Range day tomorrow if it gets above 10 degrees (really)

Banned

you could spend a buncha time and money testing out a variety of 1-1/2f and 2f powders, but in essence i'd just go with what most of the serious top shooters are using - swiss 1-1/2f.

no lube cookie is needed since nothing beats wiping the barrel 'tween shots ... well, except for using a bore wiper and saving the time it takes to do the dry off.

too dang cold to be outdoors this time of year here in the nor'east!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    you could spend a buncha time and money testing out a variety of 1-1/2f and 2f powders, but in essence i'd just go with what most of the serious top shooters are using - swiss 1-1/2f.

no lube cookie is needed since nothing beats wiping the barrel 'tween shots ... well, except for using a bore wiper and saving the time it takes to do the dry off.

too dang cold to be outdoors this time of year here in the nor'east!
    Appreciate the advice but like I stated do not see the need for more powder /more FPS as I thought I was in the ball park at 1240-1260 FPS if not what is the preferred velocity (thought this was) and the dinger says so . Getting consistent hits
    at 700 yds but not great groups as my eyes are not great either (sign of the times) ! And the lube wad was not a problem as I am not hurting for capacity at 77 grains and it did clean up that bit of rough fouling@ the last 4-5 inch of barrel so again still looking at optimum velocity or is it how fast can I push the boolit that is the goal ?

I would suggest you forget about the velocity. That can be checked after you find the rifles preferred load. The load might take a bit more powder it might take a bit less. You might get better groups seating deeper, or seating shallower.
    Keep your fouling control consistant, and your shooting technique.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Appreciate the advice but like I stated do not see the need for more powder /more FPS as I thought I was in the ball park at 1240-1260 FPS if not what is the preferred velocity (thought this was) and the dinger says so . Getting consistent hits
    at 700 yds but not great groups as my eyes are not great either (sign of the times) ! And the lube wad was not a problem as I am not hurting for capacity at 77 grains and it did clean up that bit of rough fouling@ the last 4-5 inch of barrel so again still looking at optimum velocity or is it how fast can I push the boolit that is the goal ?
    it sounds as if yer answering yer own questions and you don't need any assistance ... but i would heed don's advice.