Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: A good afternoon shooting

A good afternoon shooting

This afternoon my youngest daughter brought a young couple from her church to the farm to practice a bit with their carry guns. The young man has a Sig 938, the young lady a Taurus TCP. After watching for a little while, I brought out 2 S&W Combat Masterpieces and a .45 auto.
    My daughter has a Taurus PT22 and a Hi Point 9mm. I ran thru the basics with them and of course the Smiths improved their scores right away. They applied that knowledge to their pistols and did much better. They progressed to the .45 auto and did well with it also. At the end they were shooting .38s from my wife's Rossi lever action and running my daughter's 870 20 like pros-grinning like possums.
    Observations;
    The S&W K frame .38 special is a great handgun to learn accurate shooting with.
    The Rossi lever action .357 (with .38s)
    Is a great training rifle.
    Both Taurus pistols were accurate and trouble free. I was impressed with the TCP's accuracy and smooth trigger pull.
    The Hi Point is a good gun, period.
    The SIG shot ok but the slide stop literally fell out at the end of one string. Luckily I was shooting it at the time and felt the part hit my foot. I popped it back in and had no further problem but what in the world?
    My old Ballester Molina continues It's awesomeness with 200swc's.
    I love teaching people to shoot almost as much as shooting myself. Sometimes more. Next week we're giving my newest niece in law a Savage bolt .22. She's from Alexandria, Virginia and until she visited Texas had never held a gun, period!
    It's going to be great.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good on you Thomas!

Agree with you on the Hipoint.
    They get a lot of flack but mine has been trouble free.

I did have an issue at one point, one magazine was not right. Was causing some failures to feed.

So I did a comparison with the other mag and a couple of Hipoint Carbine mag's. And decided the mag got dropped and the lips bent slightly. 2 minutes work with a pair of needlenose pliers and it ran like a champ.

Don't drop full mags onto a hard surface!

And I got back to the range myself for the first time in months yesterday.

Got my new Hipoint Carbine in .45acp sighted in.

Short range but the last 5 rounds went through one hole size of my thumbnail.
    I went home happy.

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Best kind of day. Was it followed by any barbeque?

I've got one of the Ballister Molina pistols also, and one just a bit more uncommon, a Ballister Rigaud. Great shooters. Also, a Combat Masterpiece and presently considering another. Never have dabbled in the Hi Points though, and no bias indicated there; it's just that there are so many guns and so little time!

No barbecue but we did have sausage stuffed bacon-wrapped jalapenos followed by Blue Bell ice cream for dessert.
    The Argentineans and of that time Certainly knew how to make firearms. GhostHawk , are you going to get a 10 mm Hi-Point Carbine if and when they are available? I've come to the conclusion that if a person cannot shoot a k frame 38 Special Smith & Wesson, then they just can't shoot a handgun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't really think so, I have the .40, it does quite well IMO. Longer case means you can burn more powder but I really don't see a lot of need for that.

I can see the point of it if you have a 10mm pistol. You already have dies, molds etc.

I guess that is partly why I wanted the .45acp. I can belt on the 1911 if I want, grab the carbine and feed both with the same ammo.

I did notice there is a bit more recoil with the .45, scope was coming back and hitting my ball cap. Might have to move the Red Dot forward an inch.