Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Media Separators

Boolit Grand Master

All the commercial separators are basically the same with the exception of cheaper ones. Tumbling with a closed clamshell container almost full of water efficiently rids the pins and rinses the brass at the same time.
    With planning, they can be used in a small kiddy pool to contain the mess indoors. It's a good idea to put a bath towel under the pool to help avoid punctures and absorb leaks.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 bucket strainers stacked on top of each other on top of a bucket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008B...2CL&ref=plSrch

The 1/4" is on top of a 1/100" and when I dump to contents of the tumbler most of the pins separate themselves. I give it a quick jiggle and rinse in the sink then put the brass on a towel to dry and dump the pins from the bottom strainer back in the tumbler

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman media separator. I think it’s designed for dry media, but I use it for pins. It is all plastic, and fits in a standard utility sink with room to turn the handle on the drum.

Boolit Buddy
    I initially dump the water out into a 5 gallon bucket with a paint strainer bag in it to catch what pins fall through and the smallest (9mm) case sorter tray in the top of the bucket to catch the brass.
    I then remove as many pins from the top with a magnet as possible and transfer to a rcbs seperator with the bucket full of water. I give it a few spins each direction to rinse the soap off and shake out the remaining pins, move to the other half of the bucket to spin the exess water out and then the brass goes onto a harbor freight 20$ food dryer for a couple hours.

The rcbs seperator is kind of a *** (plastic locking tabs broke off the cage part one of the first times I used it) but it looks like most of them other than perhaps the Dillon and the Frankford arsenal are the same product and the rcbs was available at a local shop for a decent price.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I use the large Dillon media separator, tub full of water, dump the whole load of wet tumbled brass in the basket, lock the plastic clamshell basket, spin the handle till you’re satisfied the pins are separated, good to go!! Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    I use the large Dillon media separator, tub full of water, dump the whole load of wet tumbled brass in the basket, lock the plastic clamshell basket, spin the handle till you’re satisfied the pins are separated, good to go!! Just my .02
    +1
    after this I lay them out on a wire rack I built covered with a towel in Sun or overnight under ceiling fan
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    I don't wet tumble, but with my Lyman vibrator I use an old deep fryer basket. Just upend the tumbler into the basket that's sitting in a plastic tray and shake the devil out of it. Works great

Just quit using media. Problem solved.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I use the Lyman media separator. I think it’s designed for dry media, but I use it for pins. It is all plastic, and fits in a standard utility sink with room to turn the handle on the drum.
    +1
    this works well for me too
    do change out water as I tumble to rinse them

dump on towel
    fold into thirds longways
    do see-saw to get rid of most of the water
    on to another towel on homemade 2x2' wire rack to dry in Sun or under ceiling fan
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12