WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen Strikes Again!

Boolit Grand Master

COWWs will have 2 -3 % antimony (maybe, more likely 2 - 2.5%) and very little tin. That is why they are brittle. Adding 2% tin will allow it to combine with the antimony forming the sub metal Sn/Sb which will then go into solution and stay in solution in the lead. The resulting alloy will be stronger than the individual metals and much more malleable. The resulting alloy will also HT very well, usually to a BHN of 18 - 22. That will make for a very good cast bullet that will shoot well at your 2400 fps. Terminal affect will also be much better due to the more malleable metal which will not shatter as much. With a good lube such as you are already using there will be no "leading" from the addition of 2% tin. Actually there will be less because of the better alloy produced.

Adding just lead to the COWWs will just dilute the amount of antimony present and whatever little tin there may be with out any improvement in the alloy.

You can certainly try it both ways as I have and have found what works best for accuracy and to prevent the bullet from breaking up at that velocity (2400 fps). I've found that COWWs + 2% tin then mixed 50/50 (sometimes 60/40) with lead is an excellent hunting alloy upwards of 2150 - 2200 fps. However, to push beyond that in 30s, 35s and 375s I've found The COWW + 2% tin alloy HT'd to perform best.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-18-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tx,

Did you find the bullet or remnants of it inside the hog?

Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    I saw a "hog map" that showed them in every CONUS state except WY, MT, ND and SD.

Suppressed 300 B/O with nightscope and BIG magazine.
    This is a very popular combo to hunt pigs with in my parts. And night hunting is the most productive way to get them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wish I could afford one of those real night scopes (flir type). I tested My 180gr RD version ( slightly smaller meplat) on a hog in BO pistol & 30/30, using a soft alloy. AC ~1% Sb, 0.5% Cu & 1% Zn. Both loaded ~ 15-1700 fps. Hit an ~ 90# in the rear, found a 2" long/wet blood streak on a long grass blade but never found it. Tested on a carcass with the 30/30. Shoulder shot busted shoulder - I did see an exit at the chest (with bone sticking out) but not sure if the same rnd. A gut shot went in at 30 and came out ~45,nice round hole. Didn't recover any boolits. This soft alloy did 1 1/2" @ 50.
    Previous pig was with a 0.5% Cu heat treated 40SW. Went from rear to front and broke front leg on the way out - still ran another 50 yds. Previous tests with that boolit against a rock pile @ maybe 10' showed >90% weight retention with TC nose > 401 diameter. Still trying to get a side shot with rifle, just don't see any at the feeder.
    Last edited by popper; 12-19-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Wish I could afford one of those real night scopes (flir type).

Popper, you and me both.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Me three. But- If they would come to a feeder every night, I would sit in the tree above with a light taped to my A5 full of 00B!

Congrats Tex!
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    Congrats Tx! Put some tin in the mix and you'll have better performance.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Me three. But- If they would come to a feeder every night, I would sit in the tree above with a light taped to my A5 full of 00B!

TBG, why not some Claymores?

Banned

For your guys wanting those night scopes why not sell some of your firearms?

Then I would have no use for the night scope!!
    Whatever!

Banned

I shoot my 35 whelen at 2500 fps with just water dropped WW alloy. Mallable and tough, I'd give that a go vs the heat treating, may be a tad less work too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Tx,

Did you find the bullet or remnants of it inside the hog?

No, he was a bit rank. No necropsy. My earlier batch of 360-230's did better, will need to check my notes. I generally follow Larry's recipe of adding tin but may have left it out on the last batch.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC14 View Post
    I saw a "hog map" that showed them in every CONUS state except WY, MT, ND and SD.

Suppressed 300 B/O with nightscope and BIG magazine.
    I am not aware of any feral ones in Idaho. And only rumors in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by iamdrglass View Post
    I am not aware of any feral ones in Idaho. And only rumors in Utah.
    All it takes is for a boar and sow to get out of the pen. They will do the rest.

Boolit Master
    I have previously used 2 parts coww to 1 part soft lead, with some tin added, oven ht'ed for upwards of 26 bhn. This was with a 30 caliber. So, I don't think you need straight coww's (without diluting with soft lead) to reach 24 bhn, although perhaps wd'ing doesn't get them as hard as oven ht'ing.

Boolit Grand Master

I feel oven HT'ing gives me a bit more consistency but with a with a good casting cadence I suspect the results are similar.
    I'm thinking I should try a different powder to see if I can get good results at a lower velocity. I like the 4350 class of powders for this round but they only seem to do well at higher velocities. May go back to the drawing board with 5744 and 50/50. Or maybe 4198, Waters had some good results with both 4198 powders.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I missed it, but have you tried RL-15?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but have you tried RL-15?
    No, don't see it very often around here but have been seeing it lately. Trying to stay with one of the dozen or so powders I have on the shelf but Rx7 is one of my favorite powders. What kind of results have you had?

Boolit Master
    My results with RL-15 was fantastic! It is my understanding that it is the go-to powder for the Whelen.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast