WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen Strikes Again!

Boolit Grand Master

Missed that memo, what velocities have you experienced? What boolit were you using?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned
    richhodg66,

According to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, there are just two sorts of places: Those WITH a hog problem & those that soon WILL have a problem.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    richhodg66,

According to NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, there are just two sorts of places: Those WITH a hog problem & those that soon WILL have a problem.

yours, tex
    Years back, I killed a nice little sow near a peanut field (in a cold, drizzling rain) in the vicinity of Turkey, TX. (Home of Bob Wills). Next time I hunted that area I was informed that feral hogs had made peanut farming in that region unprofitable. Yes, hogs are a problem. Smoke 'em when you see 'em.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned
    TAC14,

Your map is incorrect about WY, inasmuch as my aunt/uncle's property outside of Sheridan HAS a feral hog population. = The month before his passing in Summer 2015, my uncle shot two (of a good-sized group) in their back yard just before dusk.
    (He BBQed both for a party.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 12-31-2017 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo

Banned
    TXGunNut,

We have a lady out of OK who traps them on our farm in NETX & exports the hogs to OK. = Periodically, "Jeanie" sends us a check for "our cut" of what she trapped.
    (IF I was on the farm more, I'd shoot more for BBQ pigs. = My favorite BBQ is whole pigs that dress about 60-80 pounds & cooked with green hickory.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Missed that memo, what velocities have you experienced? What boolit were you using?
    250 grain lfn and 2350 fps. Others have had good success with it at a little lower velocity and less boolit weight too. Of course, it's good for full velocity, as well. 2350 was where I got the best accuracy with my lfn that I was using.

It's been said... soften your alloy and slow it down ..you'll get more penetration and expansion without fragmentation.

A great article is in the THIRD Edition of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, Pages 96-98, with a summary data demonstrating relationships between alloy/velocity/fragmentation (weight retention)/ and penetration. ( see attached file.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	210796
    Bottom line is this:
    Hard Alloy + high velocity = Fragmentation and less penetration.
    Semi Soft alloy (#2) + moderate velocity (1800-2000 FPS) = Penetration and expansion

I have found that soft alloy (8-9 BHN) heat treats easily to 20 BHN for the benefits of a hard rifle bullet, but avoids fragmentation associated with high antimony alloys at high velocity.
    My issue is that I've never been able to collect a specimen bullet from a hog test medium... full pass through every time at 30/30 velocities, 30 cal 7mm, and 45/70.
    Last edited by pls1911; 12-31-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add attachment
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master

It's been said... soften your alloy and slow it down ..you'll get more penetration and expansion without fragmentation.-pls1911

Words of wisdom, neighbor! Thanks! I thought I was chasing what the rifle wanted, instead it seems I was just trying to make the powder happy. A 230gr, 35 caliber boolit doesn't need to go fast to be effective on TX game.

Play with your alloy a bit as described above, size a bit larger, and slow it down to around 1900 fps.
    Cast soft, heat treat hard, shoot with moderate velocity. Your bullet will hold together.
    I did this with 30-30 years ago and have never recovered a slug ... total pass through both shoulders on hogs and deer
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Banned
    pls1911,

Fwiw, my GCCB load for my 9.3x62mm is 280 grains at about 1900FPS. = I, offhand, can think of NO creature in the Western Hemisphere that that rifle/boolit is inadequate to kill.
    (Imo, any number of rifle calibers over .350" at about that speed, given a good shot, are equally capable.)

Note: I have a friend in Gravenhurst, ONT. who has taken a lot of BIG game with his SMLE "sporter" & .35 caliber wildcat (on a .303 British case).

yours, tex

Sorry if this has been asked before but.... what's the recoil on the 35 Whelen like?
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before but.... what's the recoil on the 35 Whelen like?
    More of a push, than a slap.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    More of a push, than a slap.
    But how would you compare it to say.... the 30-06? More severe? The same, but more "pushy"? or easier on the shoulder (doubt it?). Playing with the idea of rebarrelling a Mauser long action in a <150 "brush" gun and the 35 Whelen intrigues me especially for cast boolits. But I have no opportunity to try it.
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master
    I found that a 250 grain bullet at 2400 fps felt about like a 165-180 grain factory round from a 30-06.

When you step up to around 2500 fps with the 250 grainer, then it becomes quite a bit more, or at least it seemed like it to me.

Boolit Master

AND it depends on the weight of the gun.
    I would say 30-06 + a bit
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    The 35 Whelen with a big cast bullet....like the 360-310- Thumper at 1900 fps is a pleasure to shoot. Can't even compare it to a jacketed round in the Whelen, as it really is a push and not a slap as others have made reference to. Its a dull thud but boy does it ever slap a gong around the uprights.

Name:	35 Whelen loaded.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	216005

Name:	360-310 thumper.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	216006

Name:	35 target.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	216007
    Last edited by 35Whelen; 03-08-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    The 35 Whelen with a big cast bullet....like the 360-310- Thumper at 1900 fps is a pleasure to shoot. Can't even compare it to a jacketed round in the Whelen, as it really is a push and not a slap as others have made reference to. Its a dull thud but boy does it ever slap a gong around the uprights.

Name:	35 Whelen loaded.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	216005

Name:	360-310 thumper.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	216006

Name:	35 target.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	216007
    That target is very impressive sir

Boolit Buddy
    Only 50 yds mind you...but it does give hope out to 100 m or more. I had put a new scope on the rifle, unfortunately the sales person at Talley Rings told me I had a small ring Mauser..when I was certain I had a large ring ( Interarms Mk X) The back ring was low by about 60 thous...and I could not get it to go any higher than what you see on the target. I held on the top of the paper to get that group.

To me the whelen is a big slow push. Mine is a TC Encore and i can shoot it all day no problem.
    Even with with full power jacketed(back when i used to shoot jacketed) it is more comfortable to shoot than my 06 was.

Could have something to do with the stock design on the Encore i guess, but i've heard many other whelen owners say about the same thing.

When I shoot my 35 Whelen with the NOE 360-310 FN over full charges, all those AR guys stop shooting and watch, LOL.
    A deplorable that votes!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast