RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen Strikes Again!

Boolit Grand Master

35 Whelen Strikes Again!

Actually I got lucky, it seems this batch of boolits is a bit brittle. The boolit that killed this hog basically dropped him in his tracks but did not exit. I can't call that a boolit failure but it wasn't what I wanted to see. I lost two other good hogs, probably because of boolit breakup. Yes, one was a good bit bigger. For satisfactory accuracy in this rifle, boolit and powder combo I have to push it to about 2400 fps. To push the NOE/RD 360230 to 2400 fps I have to heat treat the boolits. I'm using WW alloy and thinking I need to get some antimony into the mix. First critters killed with this boolit went down like a sack of bricks, including one large boar. One guy I hunt with disagrees with using boars for boolit test medium so will have to test my next batch at the range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146 (1).JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	209737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	209738
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening Tex
    Well one thing for sure.. That mix will drop that hog. Least it is not a complete failure.
    Not sure if your WW has any tin in it but I found tin to give the finished cast more ability to not shatter impacting heavy bone. You might want to consider tin into the process.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nicely done I think your test medium is just fine
    congrats
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I think you're right, Mike. Need more tin, not antimony. WW's typically have a bit of both but possibly not enough tin in this batch.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Nice hog
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Nice hog...Congrats.

You said the boolit didn't exit...did you recover it?

Pigs are the BEST test medium.
    Shoot all you can, there is an endless supply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Texas by God,

100% SPOT ON. = Makes EXCELLENT BBQ, too.

yours, tex

Just add some Cu.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

2400 fps makes it tough for ww to arrive at the far side of an animal. You might slow it down to 2200 or you will need an alloy that is more malleable. That might mean going to a slower powder for accuracy.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Nice hog. We don't have the feral hog problem here in Kansas, at least not yet. I'd like to make a trip to hunt them sometime.

I'm no expert, but it seems like you want to balance the percentage of tin with the percentage of antimony in your alloy. Wheel weights are actually pretty hard. I would think slowing things down would be helpful, but if 2400 FPS is where the accuracy sweet spot is, I guess it's time to experiment with alloy.

Boolit Buddy

Noe 360-230

I shoot the same bullet at 2000FPS using IMR4895 (don't remember the load). Very accurate. Taken two deer so far. Can't seem to get a hog in front of it.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Nice hog. We don't have the feral hog problem here in Kansas, at least not yet. I'd like to make a trip to hunt them sometime.

I'm no expert, but it seems like you want to balance the percentage of tin with the percentage of antimony in your alloy. Wheel weights are actually pretty hard. I would think slowing things down would be helpful, but if 2400 FPS is where the accuracy sweet spot is, I guess it's time to experiment with alloy.
    They are in SE Kansas already, get prepared, they tear up everything.

Boolit Master

Can't argue with success. I'd say you are close with that boolit. Just a mite more tweeking on another hog or two. Gotta like that Whelen.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned
    I saw a "hog map" that showed them in every CONUS state except WY, MT, ND and SD.

Suppressed 300 B/O with nightscope and BIG magazine.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using WW alloy and thinking I need to get some antimony into the mix.

If you have bullet break up you need to get some tin into the mix. Suggest you add 2% tin to the COWWs then HT.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Think of Linotype if you've ever shot it. It's very brittle to say the least. An example is shooting it at steel, like gongs, sihouettes, and when it hits them it shatters into little pieces. This is mainly because of the amount of antimony in it. Not
    telling you to use it. Just setting up the rest of this post. What you need in WW alloy is more lead. A very good alloy is 50/50 which is half WW's and half lead, preferrably pure lead. If you water drop them they get pretty hard. Air cooled and they are softer then air cooled WW's. If you harvent any hogs that you don't process to eat you may be able to test out different alloys on their bodies to see how they perform. popper's post on adding copper to the mix does hold the whole alloy mass together. My hunting alloy use to be air cooled WW's, not anymore. I don't believe adding tin is going to be your solution and if you get a little too much tin in your alloy I'll suspect at the velocity range you're shooting you may get leading in your barrel. Now shooting the 50/50 water dropped is probably going to shoot through the hog without much expansion. Air cooled may mushroom too much. You could probably find a blend that would be perfect. That's why I say having a dead test hog to explore with.

Nice job.
    If those boolits are for hogs than why in the world would a hog not be the best test?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Pigs are the BEST test medium.
    Shoot all you can, there is an endless supply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I like this guy! We must have been brothers in a previous life!!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Oh boy, are you ever lucky! You know that that .35 Whelen is such a marginal cartridge. /s
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast