RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS Uniflow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    One of the best things I did for my hoppers was to make drop-in baffles for them...keeps the head weight of the powder the same against the metering hole in the drum (from full to almost empty).
    Another technique is the double tap when I grab another charge fill and the double tap when I deliver the charge. The first double tap causes the powder to settle consistently in the metering hole of the drum and the second double tap insures that there is no bridging in the delivery tube...flake powders can do that.
    You have to become very mechanical in your technique of double tapping as when you tap harder you get more settling in the metering hole and a heavier load by at least .05 grain (1/2 a .1'th)...with a little practice and lots of practice runs verifying the charge weights and you'll get really good at it.
    When the throw is adjusted right in the middle of a load...say your delivering 3.0 grains and your 10 throw average is 3.05 then that slight too hard of a double tap will put you over and the same on the too light tapping side...it'll put you under at 2.9 grains.
    With a small ball powder those powder throws are amazing to work with.
    I've read about baffles, have always meant to make/try one, but never have.

I actually added a weight to the hopper on a progressive press after testing it for uniform charges, because tapping the measure is not practical.
    For small amounts of powder I throw 10 charges, weigh it and divide by 10 for an average.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	209842

Boolit Master
    Ha! Another one of those "Duuh, why didn't I think of that moments!'' (Smack to the forehead for good measure!)

Thanks...I'll try that tomorrow.
    Works for seating depth stem/screw too...

Name:	SeatDie.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	209845
    just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Works for seating depth stem/screw too...

Name:	SeatDie.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	209845
    just sayin'
    You oughta start a thread on all the uses you have found for the 'caliper' in your shop...could save me a lot of slaps in the forehead and a lot of repeated..."Duuuh's"!
    Here I've been concentrated on using it measuring all the aspects of the cartridge or using the micrometer on the casts..."duhh, duhh, duuuhhh!'

I swear...the longer I live, the more I discover that I missed somewhere along the trail! . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    I've been using a Uniflow for 40 years. In my experience, the large volume cylinder will not throw small charges of flake powder consistently. I used 700-X mostly, usually under 5 grains.

The small volume cylinder throws these smaller charges of flake powder much more consistently.

Bayou52
    My experience exactly. I started using mine in 1985.

I never bothered with trying anything to "remember" settings. Maybe I'm just used to it but I don't have any trouble setting it up from scratch. I'm actually shocked by how close I am just on the initial "eye ball" setting.

I've also noticed that different "lots" of the same powder won't weigh the same at the same setting. So if you are using some written down setting you'll likely have to do a final adjustment anyway.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 12-19-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    You oughta start a thread on all the uses you have found for the 'caliper' in your shop...could save me a lot of slaps in the forehead and a lot of repeated..."Duuuh's"!
    Here I've been concentrated on using it measuring all the aspects of the cartridge or using the micrometer on the casts..."duhh, duhh, duuuhhh!'

I swear...the longer I live, the more I discover that I missed somewhere along the trail! . . .
    Funny you mention a "caliper thread" as I tried that on a "higher road" forum a while back and was "challenged" by the seasoned reloaders who just could not grasp the concept.
    That step measuring feature on the back is never used by most caliper owners.
    The added features/functions of a digital caliper over the dial type was what those reloaders did not understand at the time.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-19-2017 at 10:48 PM.

This is exactly why I ask these question here, you guys are filled with more ideas and information than most. Thank you all for keeping this going, it definitely helps me.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Funny you mention a "caliper thread" as I tried that on a "higher road" forum a while back and was "challenged" by the seasoned reloaders who just could not grasp the concept.
    That step measuring feature on the back is never used by most caliper owners.
    The added features/functions of a digital caliper over the dial type was what those reloaders did not understand at the time.
    Innovation is one of the real pleasures in this business...that and the fact that there are so many creative eyes and hands involved....there's always something new to contemplate.
    I just don't like the blowhards, young or old who think there's only one way of doing things, their way and everything else is sub-standard.
    You'll notice that most of those types are always putting their 2 cents in without even the first picture of evidence, measurements and volumes are generalized followed by IIRC or YMMV...I just stop reading right there...

But...back to the thread...I think it would be interesting, no telling what you might find out, might even see a couple of things get carried out even further than you started with...never can tell till you try it.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Innovation is one of the real pleasures in this business...that and the fact that there are so many creative eyes and hands involved....there's always something new to contemplate.
    I just don't like the blowhards, young or old who think there's only one way of doing things, their way and everything else is sub-standard.
    You'll notice that most of those types are always putting their 2 cents in without even the first picture of evidence, measurements and volumes are generalized followed by IIRC or YMMV...I just stop reading right there...

But...back to the thread...I think it would be interesting, no telling what you might find out, might even see a couple of things get carried out even further than you started with...never can tell till you try it.
    I've used a dial/digital caliper all my working life, in many different industries, having learned a lot along the way, I'm sure others here have too.

edit: @BarkEater : sorry for the drift
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.

I use the uniflow with large cylinder, F.A. electronic scale, digital calipers. I weigh several throws (even with Unique or stick powder), average and then maybe check after a several throws. Haven't had a problem yet. Don't even trickle. Don't weigh my casts or check case capacity either. Works for me. Yes, the depth gauge part of the calipers is handy. I use a SS press and reset everything when loading. I do keep dummy rnds of my different cals & boolits to reset seating depth, etc. I do double tap for 4895 to get 'cut' done - also found pressuring the rotor to the other side when a 'cut' happens - for some reason this helps the next drop. Also, fine powder will form a ring in the cylinder after a while which causes drop error and a bridge a couple times. I don't leave powder in the hopper.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Kenstone. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your post above or not but the height measurement in your photo above can be made with dial calipers as well as digital. At least with the ones I own it can.

I've been a machinist for over 30 years (and other closely related trades) and have been using all styles of calipers all of my hobbying and working life. I still use Vernier calipers at work for some measurements.

Calipers are an "OK" tool as far as measuring devices go certainly not precision but are the perfect measuring tool for reloading and casting. Of all the measurements that are possible to be made with any caliper height is the least accurate. Just measure something, the same thing, 5 times in a row and see how many times you get the exact reading. In many instances you could probably measure as accurate with a decent steel scale. But hey, the caliper is easier to read.

Motor

No apologies needed for drifting off topic Kenstone, I believe there is quite a bit of info here that will help me out. It's all good.
    Mike

Banned
    1. put a baffle in it.
    2. buy the powder weighting gizom form the guy on Ebay.
    3. keep the measure 1/2 full.

Well my friends..I FINALLY managed to get one of these uniflows set up. After what I thought to be a thorough cleaning I decided to run a couple pumps on the handle only to have no powder drop out. So again I tore it down and low and behold a mud dauber nest in the down spout on the drop. Nasty critters !!! Well needless to say I set the drop at 5.6 grains of Power Pistol and it did really well, pulled 10 in a row and measured each. All were close enough to make this ole boy pretty happy. Thank you to everyone for all of the help and recommendations.
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12