RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mannlicher-Schoenauer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Hello Harry O: I found a copy of Guns and Ammo, March 64 on line: https://gunsmagazine.com/1964issues/G0364.pdf No mention of the Mannlicher. Do you know the correct issue to look at? I have read De Haas' comments in his box on bolt actions. I think I am going to stick with the 6.5x54 for one action and .22/6.5x54 for the other. I happen to have dies and reamers for both. My mentor did on once in 7x57 and said never again.
    I think that is what most people who have done conversions say, and I would also be inclined to believe Frank de Haas when he says shorter cartridges can give trouble too. It is hard to judge from the rifle, but I believe mine, although dated 1926, has the original length.

I don't believe the Greek rifles made by Steyr were inferior to commercial versions. Numrich Gunparts do have some spares, although not the magazine spool:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...uer/1903-greek

I wouldn't try to convert a 6.5x54 into anything, as the advantages would be extremely slight. But since you are equipped for it, the .22/6.5x54 should be a good one. For those who aren't, the .220 Swift bears thinking about, although I wouldn't load it the way some people do. The biggest trouble you are likely to run into would be deepening the extractor groove and making it a true rimless instead of semi-rimless. But you might even get away without that. It has a slightly narrower shoulder than the 6.5, a little further forward, but that seems an easier alteration to the spool, with less of an "Oops!" factor, than a larger case diameter.

If I felt brave enough to lathe-turn a complete new spool (for which Numrich do have the bearings and spring which do the rotating), I believe I would start oversize, cut complete chambers, and then turn it down until I reached five lots of fresh air. But I wouldn't try... No, I've already said that.

Boolit Bub
    always elegant use of the english language,bravo

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	211144

Here is a picture of my two. Both in 9.5x57 M-S (1910 Model). One an original take-down and one traditional with a set-trigger. Both have "swinging" peepsights.

From memory (it has been years since I read all the M-S Collectors Newsletters), there were 4 different receiver lengths. The original with 4 different proprietary cartridges (6.5x54, 8x56, 9x56, and 9.5x57). It was lengthened in 1924 when they added a bunch of Mauser 57mm cartridges. The next was lengthened after WWII when they started selling 30-06 and .270 chamberings in the US. The last one was very near the end of the line when it was lengthened for Magnum cartridges. I understand that they are VERY rare.

Harry O was kind enough to send me the article he mentioned in an above post, via snail mail. I've scanned it to a pdf and you can get it here it you like.

Thanks again Harry O!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    The full stocked Mannlicher Schoenauer is the first rifle I ever fell in love with at first sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12