Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Encore 45-70 mold?

Encore 45-70 mold?

I just picked up a couple Encores, one pistol and one rifle. I have a 24" barrel in 45-70 and im looking for a load that will wallop deer/elk sized game and not so much the shooter. Im in the process of Mold hunting, Id really like to hear what others experiences have been and what they would recommend. Ill most likely go gas checked, powder coated. The mold I had found seems to be out of production, it was a .460-350 ranch dog design if i remember correctly. Thanks for any feedback you may offer!

Boolit Master

JDUBS I think you are on the right track with a .460 diameter and 350 grain weight boolit to keep the wallop down on the shoulder of the shooter. I have only one deer to my credit using the 45-70 but I have talked with and heard a lot of talk from knowledgeable hunters that a boolit traveling 1200 ft./sec is all you need to put meat on the table as long as the shot is well placed. In that vane, my only whitetail buck with a 45-70 was not a well placed shot, and it went all the way through the deer from rear to front. The result was found about 35 yards from where the shot connected. I normally do not take what I think is called a "Texas heart shot" like I did that day, but it was that or none and it was as well placed a shot as I was going to get. I am not condoning it and I am not especially proud of doing it, but it does illustrate that you get plenty of penetration with a 45-70 even at moderately slow velocity. Just to defend myself a little more, that is the only time I have taken that shot. These days I will let them walk away.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

My Katadin barrel measures .4575 - yours is probably close. I recommend the Gould - you really do not need a gas check with the 45-70, any velocity that would require a gc will be too punishing on the other end. The Gould is the Lyman 457122HP. Still in production and in continuous production I believe since it was developed by Mr. Gould.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Awesome thanks for the input guys! I will definitely check that out! Good to know dont have to go gas checked also! I did see many people mention 1300-1500 was plenty fps on these rounds. I will have to see where the sweet spot is as far as accuracy falls in that range.

Boolit Buddy

JDUBS, Look at NOE's site. He has several Ranch Dog designed moulds, with or without gas checks. However, I don't think you could go wrong with the Gould designed mould either. But, the NOE moulds are available in multi-cavity.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the heads up! Im actually eyeing one of the four cavities at NOE! The ranch dog actually! Once the holidays are up im going to get both NOE and Gould. In the mean time im scanning classifieds in hopes one pops up!what powder is everyone using?