RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Powder coat and HBN

Boolit Bub

Powder coat and HBN

So give have been powder coating my bullets for about six months and love it so far but was going through some of my old target shooting stuff and found a container of HBN and decided to play I'm still doing testing but so far after sizing my powder coated bullets I running them trough a tumbler with HBN and air soft BBs. Then cleaning the excess off with a towel the 300 blackout shot about 40fps faster and cleaner I am hoping to try it is some of my other caliber rifles through the holidays the DOD gain is minimal but the cleaner boar is nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I don't know what HBN is but can't imagine my powder coated bullets shooting any cleaner. I think some shoot cleaner than J-words.

Motor

Boolit Mold
    HBN is a micron coating (little goes very far) and is heat resistant up to 2k F. The testing ive seen so far, claimants have stated it helps eliminate vertical deviation on cold bore shots and also increase lubricity of your bullets. Kinda like Moly Coat but better results.

Thank You for posting ill keep tabs on this thread since ive been wanting to expirement with HBN coated cast bullets especially in 300AAC. And 6mm Creedmoor

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidia609 View Post
    HBN is a micron coating (little goes very far) and is heat resistant up to 2k F. The testing ive seen so far, claimants have stated it helps eliminate vertical deviation on cold bore shots and also increase lubricity of your bullets. Kinda like Moly Coat but better results.

Thank You for posting ill keep tabs on this thread since ive been wanting to expirement with HBN coated cast bullets especially in 300AAC. And 6mm Creedmoor
    I used hbn when I was competing in tactical Long range comp I had great results with it then I know it will work well for PC bullets I think with the 300 blackout you are not going to see night and day results but I did see a good enough result to continue it

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I don't know what HBN is but can't imagine my powder coated bullets shooting any cleaner. I think some shoot cleaner than J-words.

Motor
    Hex boron nitride it was really popular with long range shooters because it lowers bullet friction and increase your FPS it has a very high heat rating so it will add a little more protection between your bullet and barrel it's very cheep I coated 2000 cast bullets with a 1.5 cc lee scoop. And my bullets always shot clean it was more for powder residue over time it will make your bore slicker to it's not very expensive I think my last container I naught was $16 dollars on amazon

Boolit Grand Master

Is there any info on HBN in the Coatings sub-forum? Sounds interesting to me but I wanna learn more about it...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't seen any?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    big--no disrespect but HBN DECREASES velocity when powder charge is unchanged over uncoated bullets.
    It does allow you to CAREFULLY increase the powder charge and thus gain more fps. I have used HBN for a few years now and find that it does keep the barrel cleaner and has marginally tightened my ES (extreme spread readings on the chrono)
    Really of little value unless you are shooting long distance -at least in my experience, aside from some help keeping the throat and barrel a bit cleaner.
    Also is not supposed to attract moisture in barrel as moly is purported to do.
    It is a cheap and easy thing to do, esp. if you already have a rotary tumbler.

Gary

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gary0529 View Post
    big--no disrespect but HBN DECREASES velocity when powder charge is unchanged over uncoated bullets.
    It does allow you to CAREFULLY increase the powder charge and thus gain more fps. I have used HBN for a few years now and find that it does keep the barrel cleaner and has marginally tightened my ES (extreme spread readings on the chrono)
    Really of little value unless you are shooting long distance -at least in my experience, aside from some help keeping the throat and barrel a bit cleaner.
    Also is not supposed to attract moisture in barrel as moly is purported to do.
    It is a cheap and easy thing to do, esp. if you already have a rotary tumbler.

Gary
    Like you said not going to argue over something on a forum but we are both right it depends on the powder you use the stile bulletproof use I worked with HBN sense 2009 when I was still a competitive shooter i have all of the recorded data on my 300win mag that was done through DVX inavations but here is a good article I found to show you what HBN does https://www.longrangeshootersofutah.com/boron-testing/

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Is there any info on HBN in the Coatings sub-forum? Sounds interesting to me but I wanna learn more about it...
    There is a lot of info on HBN out there on the web back when I shot tournaments it was a new thing In long range world some of us stuck with some didn't I have always had good results if you have a rotary tumbler a towel and time it's easy to. I do not shoot professionally any more do to an accident on my last tour over seas I had to have my right shoulder resonated and haven't been behind a big bore rifle ever sense so I have been out of the new and improved world for about 3 years but when we were testing it there was no data to make me stop for long range the FPS gain was minimal but the deviation value was brought down from the data compiled the DVX in our caliber guns there was a 3% increase in FPS but my groups size took a 18% degrease and my bore was cleaner. One major up side is f you size after you PC the HBN can be a nice ad on just to get bullets through the sizer a bit easier because it is a lube I run all my dies through a coating every once in a while with great results to. YouTube has vids on it and it's uses

Banned

in the lube quest thread there are directions for a mixture to tumble lube using HBN.
    it would be very easy to expand on that mixture.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    in the lube quest thread there are directions for a mixture to tumble lube using HBN.
    it would be very easy to expand on that mixture.
    Yes there really isn't a rock hard rules to using it I know of guys that put air soft pellets in a big jar and bullets and a scoop of hbn and roll it on the floor floor ten minors take them out separate the airsoft pellets and buff there bullets off with a towel