Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Marble sights

Boolit Buddy

Marble sights

I recently purchased a new Miroku Winchester 92 short rifle for a pretty good price. I would like to replace the front sight with a (fiber optic?) type and a bullseye rear Marble sight. The Brownell web site lists all their fo front sights as ramp mounted even tho some are configured the same as their gold bead front sights. I believe the sights currently on the rifle are Marble, I am concern with getting the correct sights for the dovetail fit. Anyone replaced sights on a Miroku Winchester? Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    I've changed out the front sight on a Miroku 92 with a Marbles. I used one with a brass bead , but the marbles catalog lists fiber optic ones that will work. The correct parts are W ... about 1/2" wide. The ones for ramps are narrower and marked MR.

Since your doing front and rear, I might suggest changing out the rear sight first. See how it shoots on paper and figure out the correct front sight height to order from that. I changed my front sight, then figured out I didn't like the rear and then it to change out the front sight again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Jeff

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post
    Thank you Jeff
    Your welcome. If you end up changing the sights out, I'd appreciate if you could post the original front sight height and an approximation of vertical distance between the top of the barrel and the bottom of the rear sight notch.

I picked up my 92 used with aftermarket sights. I didn't care for them and replaced them with a 410" heigh front and Marbles 66 flat top rear. I'd like to understand if it's higher or lower than the original equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commonly they may require a little filing to fit. 3 corner works.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    You don't absolutely have to use a wide base front sight on barel dovetail. I use 3/8" on some of my rifles and it works just fine. They work especially well if the barrel dovetail is really tight or is boogered on one side.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I can do that Jeff.

Is it necessary to drift from right to left?

For the price you should pick up a real dove tail file, parallel 3 sides with only one cutting surface.
    Well worth the investment. Marbles has a chart to figure sight hight, you can probably access it
    on line. I know nothing about fiber optic line, I use Marble Patridge blades on all my rifles.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    There is no universal rule on which way to drift. I do it from whichever end seems "loosest". Factory dovetails are quite often wider on one side than the other. In that case, drift out toward the widest side and reinstall in reverse.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by salvadore View Post

I recently purchased a new Miroku Winchester 92 short rifle for a pretty good price.

I would like to replace the front sight with a (fiber optic?) type and a bullseye rear Marble sight.

I am concern with getting the correct sights for the dovetail fit.

Anyone replaced sights on a Miroku Winchester ?

Miroku sight dovetails are the industry standard 3/8" wide, so any replacement sight, Marble's or other, should be a close fit, maybe needing a slight filing on the sight's male dovetail (NEVER a barrel's female dovetail) if it's a little tight.

A sight that's slightly loose in the female dovetail is readily tightened via the insertion of a thin shim, cut from the side of a beverage can, under the sight as it's slid/driven home. (any exposed shim is easily camo's with a black Sharpie)

I have fiber-optic sights on all my iron-sighted rifles, and they work great - just measure the M-92's existing front sight blade from the top of it's bead to the bottom of it's male dovetail with a detailed ruler when you order a match.

Front sights mounted directly in the barrel, regardless of height or dovetail size (3/8") should be ordered in the "wide" base (side-to-side) if it's available, so to fill the barrel female dovetail for a better looking job and be less of a crud magnet.

When choosing a fiber-optic front sight, there are a few things you should consider - the most important of which are the bead size, and your vision's color perception.

FO beads are available in the same 2 bead sizes that every other current sight manufacturer has as Ivory or Gold beads - 1/16"(fine) and 3/32" (coarse).

FO beads are also in various colors, from various makers, so your color perception and/or druthers may be addressed.

FO beads are generally available in red, green, amber, orange, yellow & other colors - but not every maker carries every color.

FO bead makers are (google): Williams Gun Sight Co, Marble's Outdoors, Tru-Glo, Hi-Viz, T/C, and others.(IDK about Lyman)

Last edited by pietro; 12-18-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info, gang.