Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot it all day plinker loads? 45 Colt vs. .357 Mag / .38 Special?

Shoot it all day plinker loads? 45 Colt vs. .357 Mag / .38 Special?

Lately I've been thinking about picking up a .357 Single action and lever gun to use for either .357 or .38 all day plinking. My current .45 Colt loads are 9 grains of Unique under a 270-SAA or 8 grains of Universal under a NOE 255-RNFP. They aren't bad out of my old Vaquero and Marlin 1894 but they aren't light loads. I mean they are light for me, i'm a big 6' 4" 275 lb guy, but everyone else that shoots them says heavy .

I'm up for trying some light 45 Colt loads. For all day plinking in both fatigue and economy / quantity of ammo to make up seems like a .38 / .357 with a 155-185 grain RNFP is the way to go. Less lead, Less powder, more fun?

Thoughts?
    Kevin

Boolit Grand Master

That's a good excuse for "picking up a .357 Single action and lever gun to use for either .357 or .38 all day plinking". However, if you figure the cost saving of those to be had 357 loads vs using a 160 - 200 gr cast over 4.5 - 6 gr Bullseye in the 45 Colts you already have you'll have to shoot an awful lot of 357s before you start saving on less lead and less powder. As to the "fun" part......guess that all depends.....

Not trying to talk you out of the idea by any means......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I agree with Larry, BUT I have found that a charge of 5 to 6 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt is accurate and pleasant with a standard-weight bullet for the caliber. If you want to go lighter than that, using the shorter Schofield brass is better, to reduce free airspace in the case, then you can drop the charge to about 4.0-4.5 grains of Bullseye and have acceptable ballistic uniformity with good accuracy.

Attachment 209708
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks. I guess that's part of why I posted, throw the idea out there see what comes back. See if there's some good reasons to be talked out of it, if I'm making excuses for picking up another six gun and lever gun, dies and molds. or if there are some really valid points for going smaller caliber.

Appreciate it
    Last edited by Ziptar; 12-17-2017 at 02:52 PM. Reason: changed it

The lee 105 .358 boolit over 4.0 of red dot in magnum brass is a very stingy load that usually shoots well.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

You need at least one .357 in your collection! The rifle in that caliber is a "***** cat" in the recoil department; fun to shoot, and cheap to load. I have a model 92 Puma, which is about the lightest rifle for caliber made and accurate as well. The six gun is a nice "companion" piece, but an option where I prefer the .45 Colt when limited to "cowboy" loads for recreational pistol shooting. While I have (and like) the .357 handguns, they are much "noisier" and recoils just as much as "Level one" .45 Colt loads; the rifle, on the other hand, "tames" the recoil and noise of this cartridge and makes for a decent 100 yard deer or hog rifle.

I taught a young couple to shoot today using a S&W m15 and a Rossi lever action. The load was 158swc over 3.5grs Red Dot and they loved it. All they had shot before were their carry guns and they were amazed how much their shooting improved.
    I also showed them the 45 acp is not the beast they were led to believe. Absolutely get a .38 special but keep that .45 too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've no intention of giving up the 45 Colt. It's my first true love.

Infact I just bought Another last night. Couldn't pass it up for the price with that brass dragoon grip frame on it.

Another mouth to feed....

I'll get some Schofield cases, a 220 - 230 grain WFN or RNFP mold, some Reddot and maybe some Trailboss and start working on some light loads.

Meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on a 357 lever, six gun, mold, and dies. Light small caliber loads do sound like fun and as has been pointed out.... Cause why not !

Anyone used the RCBS 45-230-CM mold? Looks like it might be what I need

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    180 gr. LRNFP over a min recommended charge of titegroup or aa#2 or some power in that range. I run a load like this in an conversion 1858. Cheap load fairly accurate and very mild

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ZipTar, the RCBS 45-230CM is a winner, as is the similar Saeco #934.

Started with the RCBS, changed to the Saeco to get a 4-cavity for increased production and because I needed a bullet which cast larger than .453 for my S&W .45 Hand Ejector and Webley MkVI.

Accurate 45-230Y is RCBS clone:

Attachment 209756
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks Outpost! The 2 cavities was the only thing I didn't like about the RCBS. That SAECO is the ticket!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Have you looked at the Lee 452-200 RF ? 5-8 gr of Unique is pretty light . Sort of an ACP in a Colts case .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

For light, inexpensive plinking, you can't hardly beat a 327 mag. It will shoot 327s, 32 mags, 32 S&W Longs and Shorts accurately and using 1/3 or less of the lead and powder of the larger cartridges. Some of the most accurate loads are 32 S&W Longs with 1.5 grains of WST or you can "hotrod" all the way up to 1.8 grains of AA2. Most bullets are in the 90 to 100 grain range as well. Easy shooting, low noise level, and great accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    I've no intention of giving up the 45 Colt. It's my first true love.

Infact I just bought Another last night. Couldn't pass it up for the price with that brass dragoon grip frame on it.

Another mouth to feed....

I'll get some Schofield cases, a 220 - 230 grain WFN or RNFP mold, some Reddot and maybe some Trailboss and start working on some light loads.

Meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on a 357 lever, six gun, mold, and dies. Light small caliber loads do sound like fun and as has been pointed out.... Cause why not !

Anyone used the RCBS 45-230-CM mold? Looks like it might be what I need

Love the brass frame. Nice looking 6 shooter

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Love the brass frame. Nice looking 6 shooter
    Thanks! The brass frame is nice. Those pearl grips gotta go though.

Banned

you want light?
    try the lee 165 on top of 4.5grs of clays.
    I turned my revolver around and looked down the barrel the first time I touched one off.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, you can load down a .45LC. It will never be as light as a light .38 but it will be very pleasant to shoot. I had a set of .45LC rifle and pistol and sold them off as the .38's were a better fit for me. I now have three .38/.357 rifles and two Colt SAA's. I will be purchasing a pair of .357 DA revolvers likely this year but they will mostly shoot light .38 reloads.

As I got older, having a slew of different calibers got less and less appealing. KISS.

If I wanted to hunt with a lever action and/or pistol, I would standardize on the .45 LC or .44 Mag and load it light for plinking. I predict if you get a rifle and pistol in .357, you will not shoot the .45's much. It makes little sense to burn more powder, use more lead, and use more expensive brass for plinking.

BTW, further to LG's comments, I figure you will save about $.50 per box using light .38 vs light .45 loads (assume lead at $1.00/lb and powder at $128/jug) Most of my "all day plinking" sessions are 400 rounds - 8 boxes. So $4/day. If you do that 50 times a year, you will save $200/yr. That assumes you are already set up to load .38's.
    Last edited by dverna; 12-22-2017 at 01:39 AM.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Yes, you can load down a .45LC. It will never be as light as a light .38 but it will be very pleasant to shoot. I had a set of .45LC rifle and pistol and sold them off as the .38's were a better fit for me. I now have three .38/.357 rifles and two Colt SAA's. I will be purchasing a pair of .357 DA revolvers likely this year but they will mostly shoot light .38 reloads.

As I got older, having a slew of different calibers got less and less appealing. KISS.

If I wanted to hunt with a lever action and/or pistol, I would standardize on the .45 LC or .44 Mag and load it light for plinking. I predict if you get a rifle and pistol in .357, you will not shoot the .45's much. It makes little sense to burn more powder, use more lead, and use more expensive brass for plinking.

BTW, further to LG's comments, I figure you will save about $.50 per box using light .38 vs light .45 loads (assume lead at $1.00/lb and powder at $128/jug) Most of my "all day plinking" sessions are 400 rounds - 8 boxes. So $4/day. If you do that 50 times a year, you will save $200/yr. That assumes you are already set up to load .38's.
    devrna, that breakdown was very helpful. I am heavily "invested" in 45 Colt at this point with 4 revolvers, 1 rifle, 1800+ cases, and all the reloading and casting equipment. I'd also still like to get a Marlin Cowboy Carbine Limited one of these days and a Henry.

The cost savings would take a long time to recoup to switch over to 357/38 and all that would entail clearly and I'm a KISS kind of guy.

I'll work on the 45 light loads. If some day an opportunity presents itself to get into shooting 357/38 reasonably presents itself. I may take it.

For know thought my best bet is sticking with the 45.

Banned
    Get some round balls. Roll em in Lee lube. Load em with TrailBoss. Light crimp, great out to 20 yards.

Boolit Master
    I got lucky. My 124gr Lee TL 9mm mold drops bullets in the .358" range. So after PC and sized .358" they make great plinking loads for the 38/357 I use either Bullseye or Unique. They both produce the same thing you just need a little more of the Unique to match the same velocity as the Bullseye.

Motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast