WidenersStainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: M1 Garand using 170-180 gr PC Bullets what load/powder ?

  1. #1

    M1 Garand using 170-180 gr PC Bullets what load/powder ?

    I'm looking for what powder, bullet, and even load charge you guys are using for your M1 Garand in 30-06. Hoping for Velocities under 2500 FPS. Preferably 23-2400 fps with function so a heavier bullet is prefered. So what do you use? H4895, IMR 4064, ? What bullet?

  2. #2
    Boolit Master Hick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Winnemucca, NV
    Posts
    760
    I tried driving lead, gas checked, bullets to 2400 fps in my Garand and they had a nasty habit of coming apart before they reached the target. Maybe PC will make it better. In an M1 you hit 140,000 rpm on the bullet at about 1910 fps. Some experts say that is the limit. Don't know if its always true, but my M1 thinks its true.
    Hick: Iron sights!

  3. #3
    Boolit Master

    Baja_Traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    I tried powder coating my garand bullets red, white and blue once. Problem was they wouldn't feed because the powder coating built up the diameter of the ogive and they would stick in the throat and get stuck there. Ended up having to hammer on the bolt to get it unstuck, powder dumping all over the place, then having to pound out the slug (which was still jammed in the throat) using a range rod. Total fail - but they sure did look nice!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	163397968.nxvtKhcz.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	209740

  4. #4
    What BHN were they? PC does have some advantages and disadvantages. Coating thickness varies and that effects things.

  5. #5
    Baja Traveler were you able to shorten them up any to keep out of the rifling? I know it can thicken them up and many people don't want to go through the trouble of nose sizing. It's an extra step and cost. However it will prevent oversized ogive's and make the bullet more accurate. Just a thought.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master

    HABCAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East Central Alberta, Kanada
    Posts
    894
    I, and quite a few here, have successfully shot our M1's on the Metallic Sil Rifle range with Sierra 190 gr. Matchkings on 52.0 grs. WW760 with CCI 250 Magnum primer, and NO, we did NOT 'bend the op-rods'! YMMV.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    I, and quite a few here, have successfully shot our M1's on the Metallic Sil Rifle range with Sierra 190 gr. Matchkings on 52.0 grs. WW760 with CCI 250 Magnum primer, and NO, we did NOT 'bend the op-rods'! YMMV.
    Well that does tell me something. May be an important bit of information there. If heavier than 180gr bullets can be used then there will be lower velocities and less chance of PC failure. Thanks. I now have a new course of study.

  8. #8
    Now that I think about it i wonder if heavier bullets can be shot safely from the M1? Has anyone used heavier than 190gr bullets? Jacketed or not?

  9. #9
    OR what about a Ported gas plug? http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

  10. #10
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I tried driving lead, gas checked, bullets to 2400 fps in my Garand and they had a nasty habit of coming apart before they reached the target. Maybe PC will make it better. In an M1 you hit 140,000 rpm on the bullet at about 1910 fps. Some experts say that is the limit. Don't know if its always true, but my M1 thinks its true.
    Using an alloy with copper usually prevents them from coming apart. At higher velocities accuracy still goes down but the copper rasies the point where accuracy is still acceptable

  11. #11
    Boolit Master

    Baja_Traveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    The 311365 I shoot is a 200gr boolit. Works just fine (except for my PC experiment)...

  12. #12
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas
    Posts
    8
    I don't recall the exact charge, but IMR 4064 works well.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    labradigger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    west virginia
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    I tried powder coating my garand bullets red, white and blue once. Problem was they wouldn't feed because the powder coating built up the diameter of the ogive and they would stick in the throat and get stuck there. Ended up having to hammer on the bolt to get it unstuck, powder dumping all over the place, then having to pound out the slug (which was still jammed in the throat) using a range rod. Total fail - but they sure did look nice!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	163397968.nxvtKhcz.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	209740
    I had that problem with noe 311299's, they were straight Lino and grew over a year.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Using an alloy with copper usually prevents them from coming apart. At higher velocities accuracy still goes down but the copper rasies the point where accuracy is still acceptable
    How are you getting a copper alloy and what opercent. I know Ive read this before but cant remember where about the copper.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check